lap times from the Grizzly

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

lap times from the Grizzly

Post by Dobi »

here they are in pdf
Attachments
grizzly overall -sunday.pdf
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
miked.pdf
(46.99 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: lap times from the Grizzly

Post by Spinalguy »

Do i have this correct?
The clock starts with the start of Pro class and therefore every other class for overall will be based on that start?
So if we (Vet Jr) start 5 mins after PRO our first lap time is not truly accurate and therefore overall finish for all riders is non valid?

Cool lap by lap analysis though assuming only lap 2 and 3 are valid, as lap 1 is based on the pro start?
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Spinalguy wrote:Do i have this correct?
The clock starts with the start of Pro class and therefore every other class for overall will be based on that start?
So if we (Vet Jr) start 5 mins after PRO our first lap time is not truly accurate and therefore overall finish for all riders is non valid?

Cool lap by lap analysis though assuming only lap 2 and 3 are valid, as lap 1 is based on the pro start?
nope, every class start time is entered individually and calculated separate

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

No kidding....thats awesome.
Thanks for all your efforts to get this info and results posted. :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Cool, thanks Mike.
Another question though. If the cutoff time was two hours, why was I (and others) cutoff from doing the 3rd lap when I still had four minutes to spare?

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Terrific - Thanks veyr much Mike, AND thanks sooo much to the "timing" team at the race, and ALL those who pushed for this new computerized timing system!! It rocks!

D. :D :D :D
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

the 2 hour time cut-off is not varied by class. the clock on the wall starts at 12:00 when the Pros take off. when that clock hits 2:00 the race is over. That is why your elapsed time shows you being out less than 2 hrs. If you really wanted another lap then you should have headed out and swept or deflagged. :cheers:

This is why it is better to go for a 2.5hr race cut-off as the juniors loose 5 minutes off the bat to the other classes taking off ahead of them. we held a vote at the riders meeting and 2hrs was the consensus.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

markvfr wrote:Cool, thanks Mike.
Another question though. If the cutoff time was two hours, why was I (and others) cutoff from doing the 3rd lap when I still had four minutes to spare?
I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the race time is run by the old fashioned clock at the lap check. Pretty much impossible to sort that out with every rider coming in through the scoring tent. Could you imagine pulling in with other riders in different classes, trying to figure out who started when, who stays, who goes. Transponders may fix that, but I've heard that set up is alot more money, where each rider would have to buy their own transponder.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

MtnBlue wrote:
markvfr wrote:Cool, thanks Mike.
I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the race time is run by the old fashioned clock at the lap check. Pretty much impossible to sort that out with every rider coming in through the scoring tent. Could you imagine pulling in with other riders in different classes, trying to figure out who started when, who stays, who goes. Transponders may fix that, but I've heard that set up is alot more money, where each rider would have to buy their own transponder.
thanks Mtnblue, you are correct. The transponders still require a manual back-up and are a few hundred bones a piece to buy per rider. The club looked into buying them and renting them back but it is mucho grande$$$ the ice racing club has over $250K into their system for the numbumb and no they won't lend it out....

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Dobi wrote: If you really wanted another lap then you should have headed out and swept or deflagged. :cheers:
Yeah, thanks tips...Jackass. :buttkick: Thats what I thought it was with the cutoff, but it is kind of unfair like Mike said to the other classes starting after pro. But yes, as MtnBlue said, its pretty much impossible to monitor without transponders I guess. The reason I asked is, I could have possibly made up a few positions as it seems like a few guys ahead of me made the cutoff but quit after two laps. I said "possibly" since I rode like a decommissioned horse trailer without wheels anyway and it probably wouldn't have mattered. And as for riding an extra lap that day for fun ie sweep/deflag? I would have rather amputated my left leg above the knee. Just one of those days I guess. :loser:

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Transponders will not solve the deduction of allowed elapsed time.

Having Separate class specific cutoff Times solve the problem of elapsed time deductions.

Basically if you have 1 min Start Intervals, each successive class would have 1 min added onto the cutoff.
(Based on CMA Classes, i do not know CMRC's)
Pros Cutoff - 2:00PM
Vet Experts - 2:01PM
Intermediate - 2:02PM
Veteran - 2:03PM
Novice - 2:04PM
SuperVet - 2:05PM.

In theory it should be easy to have seperate cutoff times, as with CMRC because almost all bikes in CMRC have separate colouring for each class, simply know which colour is done when, and pull them off when there time has expired, usualy the rider expires before the time!

In the "old days" of punch cards & checkmarks on helmets, certain classes had number sets - Pros 100's, Vet Experts, 200's, Intermediates 300's ETC, which his how cutoff was determined. However compiling all the race data manually was very tedious and you had a crew of 4+ scoring during the whole race.

However it is one more variable to add into an already hectic race schedule, ask any organizer, the way it is now more than enough work!!
Heck most racers just want to get outta there to get home for sunday dinner with the family or get rested for work on monday.

The Electronic Scoring System does its job well, however it does take some tweaking to each clubs specific needs, with constant evaluating, and evolving how you score. It also helps to have an on site geek who gets turned on by computers.
Helmet Cameras! http://hcc.tv/secondgear
CONTACT mitch@secondgearclub.com
SGC PHOTOS Second Gear Club Photo Galleries
05' YZ250 - Pumpkin Eater

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

KanadianIceMan wrote: However it is one more variable to add into an already hectic race schedule, ask any organizer, the way it is now more than enough work!!
Heck most racers just want to get outta there to get home for sunday dinner with the family or get rested for work on monday.

The Electronic Scoring System does its job well, however it does take some tweaking to each clubs specific needs, with constant evaluating, and evolving how you score. It also helps to have an on site geek who gets turned on by computers.
Well put Mitch. It is getting more and more rare to see a bike with full number plates in the correct colors. That and the amount of work that goes into putting on a great race is huge. If you want to spend more time on the bike either ride faster to get more laps in under cut-off or race more cross country's.

Thanks again for your help on Sunday with the scoring system. Man I wish you would have been there Saturday when we were all befuddled and ready to smash my laptop :crybaby: