Barcode or #'s?

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
dwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Barcode or #'s?

Post by dwagner »

Hey, I am thinking about coming out for the race for the first time - and I would be a Junior Vet! What am I getting myself into??? :eek:
Thanks,

David

Find the RMDRA on Facebook at http://facebook.com/rmdra

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

dwagner wrote:Hey, I am thinking about coming out for the race for the first time - and I would be a Junior Vet! What am I getting myself into??? :eek:
...pain, suffering, humiliation, a grocery list of new things to replace on you bike afterwards.....kidding :D !! Come out, Vet Junior is a fun class to race in :thumbsup:

dwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dwagner »

Question about the course... does everyone run the exact same course? I heard that they typically have portion of the course were the experts ride and where the other classes would ride, i.e. difference in technical difficulty.
Thanks,

David

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

dwagner wrote:Question about the course... does everyone run the exact same course? I heard that they typically have portion of the course were the experts ride and where the other classes would ride, i.e. difference in technical difficulty.
We will have everyone on the same course for Sunday. It is a great loop and will please pretty much all the riders.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Dobi wrote: We will have everyone on the same course for Sunday. It is a great loop and will please pretty much all the riders.
Last Sunday you told me, spinal, ktmpilot, and mb it was pretty hard? :lol: Now I'm wondering :thinking:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

steve-o wrote:
Dobi wrote: We will have everyone on the same course for Sunday. It is a great loop and will please pretty much all the riders.
Last Sunday you told me, spinal, ktmpilot, and mb it was pretty hard? :lol: Now I'm wondering :thinking:
I am trying not to scare off the new guy, cut me some slack. It will be a good challenge but is all very doable. A 13yr old kid on a CRF 100 did the course with only 2 good crashes so somebody with legs long enough to touch the ground should be able to do it in 1 crash (my average so far)

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Dobi wrote:
steve-o wrote:
I am trying not to scare off the new guy, cut me some slack. It will be a good challenge but is all very doable. A 13yr old kid on a CRF 100 did the course with only 2 good crashes so somebody with legs long enough to touch the ground should be able to do it in 1 crash (my average so far)
You don't have to worry about scareing him off, he met Dude and me a couple weeks back, if that didn't do it he's likely going to end up a lifer!!

Looking forward to the race and the associated crashes too

dwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dwagner »

The only thing that scares me is my wife... as for crashing I am used to doing that. I don't usually crash when I am moving, it is when I slow down is when I fall over, I am somewhat vertically challenged!
Thanks,

David

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Do you think an 11 liter tank will be sufficient for the course, or will I need to make a pit stop. This will be my first race out here as well, I used to race out east.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rider Eh! wrote:Do you think an 11 liter tank will be sufficient for the course, or will I need to make a pit stop. This will be my first race out here as well, I used to race out east.
Tough call. I know my 250 will be fine without filling up but how the carb is setup, how many upsets and how much throttle that you use will depend. The safest thing to do is it top up the tank after a couple laps. :thumbsup:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

numbers are cool, plus they make you feel fast!!
don't spend all that money on the fancy ones though. just a can of $3 Kevlar spray paint and one package of numbers and you are set...or just use tape if you are not doing many races. we are all bush riders, being trick is lost in the first mud hole!!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I'm thinking about trying this on Sunday. I'm still on the fence but I'd like to try one. I will volunteer to be last as I'm pretty slow. If I know you're there, please be welcome to pass, I will be happy to move over. Is there a normal side to pull off? Say, always move right? Or, does it matter?

I'm 39 and this is my first off road race. I imagine Vet Junior? Could someone remind me of the color of numbers and number plate? Can I post this on my back and on the number plate? Is that sufficient?

I was thinking to register Saturday morning to be a little more ready for Sunday. I can get my number and all that ready Saturday afternoon. Will that be possible? Or, would I be wasting a trip out to McClean?

Thanks,
Bark

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Bark wrote:I'm thinking about trying this on Sunday. I'm still on the fence but I'd like to try one. I will volunteer to be last as I'm pretty slow. If I know you're there, please be welcome to pass, I will be happy to move over. Is there a normal side to pull off? Say, always move right? Or, does it matter?

I'm 39 and this is my first off road race. I imagine Vet Junior? Could someone remind me of the color of numbers and number plate? Can I post this on my back and on the number plate? Is that sufficient?

I was thinking to register Saturday morning to be a little more ready for Sunday. I can get my number and all that ready Saturday afternoon. Will that be possible? Or, would I be wasting a trip out to McClean?

Thanks,
Bark
Woohoo - welcome to the race Bark!

And, you don't hafta be fast at all to have a blast - race against yourself and no one else. Go as fast as ya want, and take as many breaks as you want. Races are just a good opportunity to ride a great trail for a couple hours without having to stop for anyone else IF you don't wanna.

When I'm trying to pass someone I usually yell which side, but really if you open up a hole it doesn't matter where it is, whoever is trying to pass will find it. And if your bike and gear are all working you can even do everything out at McLean Sunday am IF you want. The first year I raced I tore up strips of duct tape to make numbers on my bike the morning of the race - it gets the job done.

Vet Jr. (all vet classes actually) are black numbers on white background, and we generally put it on the front number plate and the 2 side number plates (below the seat/fender).

Come on out - you'll have fun.

Derek Radomski :thumbsup:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Thanks for the advice and that sounds great! I know that I'll have fun for sure. I've experienced road racing in the past and lappers were a concern when passing. I don't want to cause an issue for someone in a good battle because I'm, well, a pylon. :D In any case, I'm 90% decided to join it and have fun everyone.

Thanks,
Bark

dwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dwagner »

Hey Bark,

Glad to hear that you are (90%) coming out for the vet junior class. This will also be my first HS race! I think we will have an interesting battle for last place! :D
Thanks,

David