2007 STAMPEDE HARE SCRAMBLE (June 9,10 )

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I had a great time at this race. Props to Dobi, the course designers and the volunteers for putting it all together.

Two small complaints:

1. The GP style start favors those with electric start, as they can start their bike while they are still standing in front of it. Us kick start wankers can't do anything till we straddle our bikes.
2. More of you guys need to get the proper numbers on your bikes so that you can tell who you are racing against. You'll spend $6-10k on a bike but can't seem to pony up the $10 for the right color numbers???? I had to go through a scoring kerfuffle in which my finishing position was not counted and I had no idea who I was ahead of / behind because a lot of bikes didn't have clear numbers on them.

Anyway, I'm done whining. This race was awesome and the good parts outweigh my complaints many times over. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Dobi and myself finished off all of the coarse cleanup this morning, some of the sweepers did a great job getting about half the coarse cleared right after the race so this morning was only about half the coarse to clean. man, there were some nice lines bypassing the nasty areas and some of them were there right from the start.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

Kudos' to Mike and all of the volunteers for putting on a great race :applause:

Thanks to Ken for providing paramedic services and even better that his true skills where not needed :thumbsup:

Anybody know what the attendance numbers where?

:cheers:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Awesome job Dobi and great course Big Dog.....
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Man, what a blur. I am just getting home now and have finished washing the mud off of the bike, quad, trailer, gear and myself. Results are sitting in a box on my kitchen table. They will get out of here tomorrow to the ADRA to be posted on the website.

The overall number for both days broke the 150 mark but I cannot remember the exact number right now.

How could this race have been run better can be summed up in one word. VOLUNTEERS. If you think it could have been run better, then volunteer for the next race and it will be better.

Huge thanks to all the volunteers that did come out and help with course set-up, race days, and tear down. And an even bigger thanks goes out to Brent Kroeker for designing the course and coordinating the flagging of it. That is an enormous task to come up with 4 new loops every year for all the contestants to enjoy. It is a big balance finding a loop that challenges everyone but doesn't hurt anyone either, and I know Brent came up with it on these courses. Brent was also there to answer so many of my questions on how to pull this thing off. We rode the Sunday course this morning and with a little heads up riding the course was very doable. I can't wait to see what the X/C looks like.

See you all at Porky's, only this time I will be on the hunt for trophies on the trail, not in the parking lot :buttkick:

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

...and while the mention of trophies is still fresh...

I, as the knob-head who showed with the kid's trophies a day late, need to take this opportunity to formally apologize to the whole club, and especially the event organizers, for failing to deliver on Saturday.

I have no defence for not being there when I should have. Very bad preparation on my part ahead of time and pushing my timeline to the limit left no opportunities for any kind of slip up.....and then I slipped up.

My priorities were not where they should have been leading up to the whole weekend and I will not do that again.

The event, from the one day I did get to participate, rocked. This club has a great crew and the enthusiasm and energy of the key individuals who planned and ran the event is outstanding.

Looking forward to more opportunities to participate and redeem myself over time.

(...and thanks for not punching me in the head when I did show up on Sunday)
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

S#!t happens to us all. would you like to redeem yourself for the XC? we need someone to stand up and take on the trophies for the XC. I really liked the medallions, they looked great.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

AWESOME COURSE

Post by Zeal »

I must say that this year's course was really awesome. It definitely had some challenging sections, but it was all ridable, and had some good passing sections. I really can't say enough about all the volunteers and organizers. My hat goes off to you all, especially Dobi for sacrificing an opportunity to race, and as a result allowing me to get a couple more points than I usually do.

PS I also think more people (ie all people) should start running the correct color numbers. Colored duct tape works great.

Zeal
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I have enough logs for the CC if you guys want to use them!

I also agree that the number issue should be rectified, but I doubt it will happen!
Claude

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

~Pussykat~ wrote:Great race today (sunday)! Had fun helping out with sign in and lap scoring (apart from the guy that hit me with his bike :bonk: ) Congrats to everyone that made it happen. :cheers:
My wife Joan also mentioned to me that the riders could use a little more courtesy when they enter and leave the scoring area. There were too many riders coming too fast and roosting the lap scorers as they left. Remember you racers that they are only volunteers. Maybe some of you should take a race day off and do sign up or lap score and you will appreciate the work that these people do. Many thanks to Rene Turner for being there and guiding our volunteers through the weekend. :applause: I can't imagine what it would be like if she wasn't there.
Claude

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

BackinAction,
sludge does happen.
You went up many notches by acknowledging your mess up.
Kudos :cheers:
Apologizing publically is huge and i respect that.
The trophies and medals were great...thanks.
See ya at another event.
Tom :cheers:

Cedric...numbers i agree with. It would be even nicer if there were different colors for Vet jr, Vet sr and Vet master.

As to the start? in our race a 2 stroke no electric start got the hole shot :crazy:
:D
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Spinalguy wrote: Cedric...numbers i agree with. It would be even nicer if there were different colors for Vet jr, Vet sr and Vet master.
I'll fill my red in with a black permanent marker to help reduce confusion... :crazy:

Spinalguy wrote: As to the start? in our race a 2 stroke no electric start got the hole shot :crazy:

Crazy is right!! Crazy2wheeler, that is!! :banana: :banana:

(but i agree - those guys with the button DO have an advantage over those without e-start)

My one suggestion would be to have times recorded - lap times is probably unrealistic, but recording the finish times would probably be manageable. Perhaps a minor anal thing, but it would allow us to see what the spread is between placings (even just the minutes and not the seconds) and to compare to riders in other classes. Thanks Mike and all the volunteers - I enjoyed the race.

:cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

slotcarrod
User
User

Post by slotcarrod »

I agree on the timing of laps within the minute. At the laying of the course, an average rider as well as a faster rider should time a few laps. This will give you a good estimate on lap times for the race.

My reason.... I saw far too many cheaters going down unflaged trails and roads. (shame on you! :thumbsdown: ) It would be nice to police these potential short cuts as well, and DQ these guys!

In any type of racing, timing is the only way you can know how you stand up to the big dogs! Yes this is more work for the score keepers but I think it can be done! The club could get AMB transponders as well, big $$$$$.

Clear (as in easily seen), numbers and coloured numberplates are a must!

My two cents as a noob to HS.

My hat's off to Mike (who worked his @$$ off) and the other RMDRA members for putting on a very well run race! :cheers:
Last edited by slotcarrod on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Pussykat~
Writer
Writer

Post by ~Pussykat~ »

I usually lap score at CMA races and we always give lap times to the second. I know a few riders came up afterwards to find out their times but no times kept! Might be worth thinking about for future?
*Samm* aka The wife
2006 Honda CRF230
1999 Suzuki DR650
Ladies A

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

In order to record lap times we would have needed 3 checkers per line and 4 lines in total. We had the paperwork to do it but did not have enough volunteers to do it. After discussing the matter (with the volunteer from another club that ran our checking for us) it was decided to not record lap times. As far as your finish time, the clocks were on all the tables, all you had to do was look.

I think Claude makes an excellent point. I did not realize the amount of work it takes to check racers through until I missed a race to put on this event. I assure you from now on when I come into a check it will be at a slow pace, with a smile on my face and will not ask any questions (they don't know your position after the first lap anyway).

See you all at Porkies