Stampede Hare Scramble Split race idea...It's a poll.

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.

2007 Stampede Hare Scramble race day format

Poll ended at Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 pm

1 race for all classes as per usual, starting around 12pm
48%
split race day, morning race and afternoon race.
48%
I don't really care.
4%

Total votes: 23

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Stampede Hare Scramble Split race idea...It's a poll.

Post by Brent »

Dobi and myself were talking about the HS for this year wether or not it should be split up again like the last 2 years. The idea was to run Juniors, beginners, vet juniors, ladies A and super vets in the morning, then in the afternoon run the pros, intermediates and vet masters. You can only imagine the extra amount of work that puts all of the volunteers through as well as all the morning riders having to wait for 4 hours for awards. I think we pulled it off great, but man, it's a lot of extra work for everyone. I say lets put it to a poll. Those that will be volunteering, spectating or racing please let us know what you think.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I was about to vote "I don't care" - but I don't actually understand what the advantages and disadvantages of each are - can you breifly explain these for us Big Dog? Thanks!
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

All race at once...much easier on volunteers or less volunteers neede as the race time is only for 2.5hrs plus or minus a bit. If we have a morning race and an afternoon race it turns out to be a pretty long day for the volunteers. Just ask Cladoo and his wife....I know they were pretty beat after our first race.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Having 2 races is something that the "big races" do. I mean GNCC's and the sort where there are up to 1500 riders and i am sure hundreds of volunteers. well, we usually have 150 max to 130 riders at our event and splitting the race is a lot of work for the volunteer crew. We have been lucky with the turnout of volunteers so far and am sure this will carry on, but the afternoon race usually has only 30-40 guys competing and the majority of the racers going in the morning.
The biggest concern that we have had with only one race is having all the competitors on the coarse at once. It never seems to be a problem though at other races, so I think we will be fine. The best way to solve this issue would be to have a couple of splits in the race coarse and increasing the length of the coarse. A 25-30 minute laptime (the fastest riders) would result in a 30-40 minute lap time for most others, resulting in less overlap. But, like i have said before, there has never been a problem at other races, even the ones with bigger turnouts.
Either way, I think it is up to Dobi and who ever volunteers. This is just to give us an idea of what other people thought of our past attempts. I voted for one race.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC