Confirming the '07 RMDRA HS/XC Event Dates &...

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Confirming the '07 RMDRA HS/XC Event Dates &...

Post by BackInAction »

I want to book ahead to free up time from work to help with set-up tasks for these events. Looking at the ADRA schedule I printed out, I see:

RMDRA H/S McLean Creek July 14/15
RMDRA X/C McLean Creek Sept 15/16

Can someone in the know confirm that these are our iron clad dates?
:confused:

Also, having not been involved up-front with the set-up work for any of these types of events before, I am wondering if one of the pros here can provide an overview of the kind of help is required for each of these events and provide some indication of how much time would be useful for both?

I am thinking of booking time off for something like 3 weekdays before the weekend of the event to assist out on the course. Is that kind of time adequate? Is more time spent further ahead of the actual event in order? When does course set-up actually start? Are there different requirements for the H/S & X/C?
:confused:

As soon as I have a clearer understanding of what is needed, I'll tuck away some days for it. :applause:
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I don't think that the guys have a firm answer yet. Perhaps in a few more weeks the plans will come out.

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

we should have some firm dates by our next meeting march 14th- see you there?
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Hey there backinaction, great to hear your enthusiasm for helping the club put on some great races this year. I have signed on to be the Race Director for the H/S this year and the Kroeker brothers are running the X/C. The set up for the H/S is typically a few weekend sessions the weekend before the race. Last year a bunch of us camped out teh weekend before the race and during the days a large number of people would come out to help on the course and eat the free burgers provided. As far as taking some time off before the event, I will be taking off a day or two before the event just to get the final details and small items picked up for the weekend. To ensure an optimal camping stall it would be good to show up Thursday night or early Friday morning. The clean up for the event will include a tear down of all the gear we have hauled in for the day and to unblock any trails we have blocked off for the race weekend. The ribbon clean-up of all the trails was on the Wednesday after the H/S last year and I think it worked out well.

The set up weekends/days are a good time, lots of volunteers, good food and some bench racing. For those of you that have not raced before but are interested in getting out to a few this year then this is the perfect event to hit. You can get yourself familiar with the course by coming out and prepping it and get to know most of the people that are putting on the race. It is a more comfortable atmosphere than driving 2 hours to someplace you have never been and giving away money to strangers and hoping that someone in your family was listening when you told them you were going to be gone racing for the weekend when you don't show back up on Sunday night.

Once we get the date for the H/S firmed up I will be posting a volunteer sign up for the day of the race and will also be posting the work days on the forum well in advance.

Look forward to seeing you all out there helping to put on another successful club race. Any ideas please post them hear of PM me.

Cheers,
Mike

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Sounds like the kind of action I was expecting!

Looking forward to getting into it. (gotta get me a camper...again)

Did I read between the lines correctly understanding that we could work on setup and still actually ride the event too? That would be too cool. I was already assuming that, if we worked setup, we'd be excluded from the race due to track familiarity.

I seem to recall that kind of rule for XC events some number of years back where guys could only work on portions of the track if they wanted to race (to prevent them from learning the whole track when others had not seen any part of it).

Either way, I am looking forward to assisting with the events & will be watching for that volunteer form.

See'ya at the next meeting!
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

YES, you are more than welcome to race if you volunteer. Sandbagging one race a year is your right as a club member. Every race that we go to is put on by a club just like ours so you know there is someone pre-riding the track. If you are like the majority of us racers you show up Saturday, watch the kids race then take of for an afternoon ride looking for ribbons to follow to give you an insight into the loop. You do a parade lap regardless so I am not certain having a few extra trips around the loop help that much.

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Cool! I learned something new already. Parade lap, eh?!

Not having actually been to an HS yet, I did not know there was a practice lap. Bit more like an extended MX then as opposed to an XC where most of the pack is seeing a lot of the trail for the first time only after the start of the race.

Nonetheless, I have a somewhat assured feeling that no matter how much I help flag the course, or how many practice laps I get in...at some point in the process of attempting to ride fast after the flag drops, I'm going to be dragging my steed out from under the embrace of a spruce wondering how I missed seeing that exposed root, where that big rip in my jersey came from, where the heck the peak from my helmet went, and how I'm gonna ride all the way back with my shifter bent around the footpeg like that.

Ahhh....I'm basking in a comfy, warm glow just thinking about it.
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

I have always enjoyed the setup weekend, a bunch of us get out and set up the coarse and ride (Remember that ride Dobi, after everyone left and the 3 of us went out after a bunch of rain....sweeeet.) you will get an advantage of knowing the coarse when you volunteer, definate benefit.
Last year there were some stories of one or two guys cutting coarse. I have a few buddies that are really into paintballing....i mean really into it and would love to come out and spot for coarse cutters. If I ever hear of coarse cutters again, i think it would be important for those people to loose their license for the entire season....that is just lame. The only problem if we do label someone as cutting coarse, we had better have solid evidence of this. We just need volunteers to watch, hidden away.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Big Dog wrote:I have always enjoyed the setup weekend, a bunch of us get out and set up the coarse and ride (Remember that ride Dobi, after everyone left and the 3 of us went out after a bunch of rain....sweeeet.) .
I remember thinking to myself "did he just say we had to find somewhere to jump across the creek because it was too deep to ride across". Yes, that was one of the best rides I had last year outside of racing :cheers:

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Damn...." jump across the creek...."?!!

Now I really wanna go riding with you guys!

I can be the one who lands 3 feet short and get fished out 150 yards down stream.....by the beavers whose doorway I'll be wedged into......when you get them to release me for a ransom of pine bark & willow roots....remember my leg will still be wedged in the swingarm so watch the knee dragging me back up on the creek bank, eh?!

Course setup sounds fun. Looking forward to getting to as much of it as I can.
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S