2007 Cross Country

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
Brent
Columnist
Columnist

2007 Cross Country

Post by Brent »

For this next year, I am really excited and motivated for this cross country. Darren and I have already layed out 2 loops and will be doing some modifying now that half the forrest is down. It's always a plessure holding a race with our club becaue of all the volunteers that show up and all the enthusiasm that people have for our sport and our club. Yes, there is alot of work that goes into a race but it doesn't seem at all like that because nothing beats getting out into bush weather it's riding hard or cutting new trails. Darren and I will be spending some time until next spring opening up both of these loops (as long as we are permitted in Mclean), so if anyone is interested in helping out just let me know, call my cell 333-4581.
Last year I made a big mistake, I gave that Woodmaster Sponsor money to the pro's. Nobody showed up. The idea was for a bunch of the pro's to show up and have a little bit of a showdown. There are a lot of fast, talented riders in this area and rarely come together for one race, so I was hoping this would help. So this next year, all prizes and product are going to the volunteers, helpers, 1st time racers and injured racers. Just don't injure yourself for a prize!

Requests: does anyone have satelite phones? We will need a minimum of 3 satelite phones and probably 4 high power radios.
Also, Val and Dean have done a great job in the past with on site EMS. I will contact them again to see if they are interested for this next year, however, we will need an experienced rider who is a medic as well as 4 sweepers, 2 per loop that can carry some meds.

The main race will happen on a saturday, then we can party on saturday night and watch the kids race on sunday. Also, this gives the racers/workers Sunday to relax and nurse wounds before going back to work on Monday. It also gives us Sunday to tear down ribbons on the big loops before the week days too.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Here's the layout ideas:

East loop, everybody rides this first, 45-50 km cross country of challenging, rideable trails. For the second loop the pro's, intermediates and vet masters cross the road, refuel and then ride the west loop, everyone else rides the east loop for a second time as long as they came in before the 2 hour cutoff.

West loop, will be very difficult (not bike destroying, or impossible). This loop will be designed for riding skill level not the physical fitness level. Riders that clean all areas will finish on top.
this loop will be between 30-40 km.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

Woo hoo it's gonna a be great!
2008 KTM 300 XCW

hoppy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hoppy »

sign me up!!! :D

Valerie
'07 KTM XC-W
Ride hard or stay home !!

BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by BackInAction »

Hey Big Dog!

Per my questions & response to Dobi about the HS, I am looking forward to finding ways to help with the racing events this year.

I am hunting down & moving into some new digs early this year and will be trying to ride as many events as I can province wide throughout the season, however, in between all that I will be focused to simply keeping my butt in the saddle and finding time to get out and help with trail/track clearing & setup. XC, HS, whatever.

Please keep us posted when you are scheduling ahead for time in the bush to work on the track so plans can be made to get out there with you.

From what we hear about downed trees in the McLean Creek area, there is likely to be a lot of trail clearing to get the XC loops ready. I'm already looking at my old chainsaw & deciding whether to rebuild or upgrade!!

Busy year ahead!
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

Aloha from Hawaii, I could get used to this...

Dates for the XC aren't quite firmed but we'll know better closer to spring. Mclean is quite a wreck but we've been building a lot of new trails (in the summer and fall of course). It's going to be a great race.
D
2008 KTM 300 XCW

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

We will finalize the dates for the XC at this next meeting. The weekend before and the evenings of the week days prior will be where we need the most help ribboning. All planning and coarse cutting will be all the months up until then. Remember, the race will be on saturday and then party that night, the kids race on sunday.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Volunteer Sign up

Post by Brent »

Thanks so far for all the inthusiasm and volunteer support. This race will only happen if everyone helps out. Darren and myself will do the best to coordinate dates and times that we are doing some coarse cleanup and then flagging. Check the volunteer list below and I will follow up with everyone that helps out.
**Trophies: Bill, Lisa and Claude. Taken care of...awesome
**Signage: Mark so far. Does anyone else want to help Mark out?
**EMS: Val, are you volunteering for this? Thanks
**Sponsors and promotion: Gord committed to the HS and am not sure about the XC. Gord are you interested again? Anyone else to help?
**Food and Beverage: 2 people required
**Sweepers and Coarse Marshalls: 6 non racers required.
**Satellite phones and radios: Does anyone have these to donate for the weekend?
**EZ Ups and signup Tables: We need 5 or 6 sign up tables and probably 4 EZ ups.
**Coarse cleanup: random dates throughout the summer and then closer to fall. i think i will have to get an email list going, so PM your email or cell number.
**Flagging will happen the week before so that there will be little pre riding. entrances and exits will be concealed until last days. We will need as many guys as possible to make this quick and easy. please PM info.
Darren has been working on race shirts and volunteer shirts too, they are looking super cool. I think it is important for every voly to at least get a shirt for helping out.
The widowmaker schmaus hillclimb fest will be a great place for onlookers to bring a lawn chair and a cooler full of drinks. There will be a series of hill climbs through this area, the widowmaker being the easiest one and the first of 3. the most difficult hill will require some volunteers to pull some bikes over. Remember, this will be apart of the 2nd loop for only the pros, intermediates and vet masters....bring your hillclimber!
If you like single track, this is your race, doesn't matter what your ability is. If it is your first race, that is awesome!! I will have prizes for any first timers and don't worry, we will have sweepers so you won't die out there.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

That sounds awesome Darren. I have a EZ-up tent (10x10) that can be used, and I'll volunterr some time to help with some flagging, etc in the weeks before the race.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

crazy2wheeler wrote:That sounds awesome Darren. I have a EZ-up tent (10x10) that can be used, and I'll volunterr some time to help with some flagging, etc in the weeks before the race.
I offered the same via PM. :thumbsup:

slotcarrod
User
User

Post by slotcarrod »

What is the date for the race? Where is it going to be? Did I miss it on the post?
If I can make it, I have an Easy Up and can give some of my time.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

September 15-16. the main race for all adults will be on saturday the 15th and the kids and ladies B race on sunday the 16th.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Sponsorship

Post by Hammer »

Dobi and I are going to discuss this for the races he is setting up. I'll see what has been done in the past and if I with help can fill in for the HS as well. Be happy to do it, just need to see what the tolerance of our sponsors are and how we balance the season's prizing between 4 events. Give me another week and I'll get back to you all.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Thanks Hammer. if we can get our sponsors early for the XC we can get them on all shirts. we need logo's then to put on shirts. i will discuss with Darren and start to get info together.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

XC trail gps'ing is going on right now. I am submitting the loops to dobi by friday. So far in the 'a' loop we can mostly clean the trails, however lots of coolant is always shooting! If it rains or snows it will be one hell of a hard race! Although we are making easy and hard routes just in case.

If anyone is interested in participating in the 'b' loop show up a fisher staging area tomorrow by six. Or call me at 333-4518. We need one more gps as well.
2008 KTM 300 XCW