2014 Race committee *Now is your chance*

Work days, Race Volunteers, Questions and Discussion about the races that the RMDRA promotes.
AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

2014 Race committee *Now is your chance*

Post by AJRJ »

Well here's a proactive step towards next year. It seems that I will be serving a second consecutive sentence er, term as race director for the club. I really look forward to the opportunity to apply some of the things I learned this year, it was a steep curve for sure.

There are some things I want to see changed, some things we could improve, and some things that were just fine the way they were. Probably the biggest single change, and something that I hope continues for years to come is the formation of a Race Committee. This thing is too much for one single person to accomplish alone, and a severe handicap if said person burns out and leaves. I'm going to be looking for people interested in helping in the following categories (subject to change :D )

Adult course lead. This person will seek volunteers, and through a collaborative planning effort layout, clear and flag the adult course.

Ladies B, kids Int/exp and beg, pee wee course lead. Same as above, but with loops engineered for these riders.

Sponsorship coordinator. Pretty self explanatory.

Sweeper coordinator. This is a key area and will require some experience, and decent riding skills. This is a "boots on the ground" position. You will need to recruit, organize and execute the sweeping for two days.

Volunteer coordinator. This is a person who will manage the on site volunteers, scanners, AMSA reps etc. Likely my wife will do this one.

Some key points: please keep an open mind, and know you won't be left alone to struggle. I will help coordinate the paperwork, applications etc, and manage the safety plan. The whole point of this is together we'll make a better overall event for the racers and their families. We will keep the meetings to a minimum, and jointly we will create a timeline of what must be accomplished.

Hopefully the response is so overwhelming we can get a person for each of these roles. Some of these positions really will require very little of your time. That can leave lots of time for you to chuck logs for the people looking after the race courses :smirk: I will defer to people with prior experience, and you may not get a "lead" position, don't worry they're all relatively thankless jobs anyways. :lol: We will still need a lot of hands to pull this race off, so there will be a lot of opportunity later on to volunteer to help out.

5 people will be max, as we need to keep it nimble. There won't be a ton of crossover between roles, except for the two race course leads. All that really means is the meetings will be manageable :D

Hopefully this format will help guarantee a flawless execution on the 2014 race. I hope that this can continue into the future and involve more club members in the club race. I would even propose that to be race director, volunteering for these positions be a prerequisite. Trust me, it would help.

I would like to get this underway immediately. Pm me if you are interested.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2014 Race committee *Now is your chance*

Post by thirtyseven »

Great stuff.... Sign me up.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Great initiative AJRJ. Sign me up for the Sweeper coordinator. There is food at the meetings right???? :blush:

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Well if there is food at the meetings, count me in too :lol: . Sponsorship commitee or as required.

Jon
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Dobi wrote:Great initiative AJRJ. Sign me up for the Sweeper coordinator. There is food at the meetings right???? :blush:
But I wanted this job. And aren't you going to be racing?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

350scott wrote:
Dobi wrote:Great initiative AJRJ. Sign me up for the Sweeper coordinator. There is food at the meetings right???? :blush:
But I wanted this job. And aren't you going to be racing?
I am retired.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Can I be your apprentice? Do apprentices get to go to meetings with food?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Jonny5 wrote:Well if there is food at the meetings, count me in too :lol: . Sponsorship commitee or as required.
Jon
Perfect sales guy!

I enjoyed working on the ladies and kids courses, would be happy to do that again in 2014.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I've got to say, I really appreciate the responses, it's encouraging and exciting to think about what we can do next year.

After I posted I realized I should have put a timeline on the committee selection, but it looks like we may be able to finalize this by the end of the week? I'm going to say Saturday the 28 will be the day we do this. In the meantime all of you still on the fence feel free to post.

Thanks everyone!

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Thanks for the interest, looks like we've got a plan going forwards.

I'll pm you guys, and we'll go from there.