Buying US 300XC - Fees / Taxes / Duty?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Buying US 300XC - Fees / Taxes / Duty?

Post by JG2 »

Have any of you guys bought DIRT-ONLY KTM's in the US and brought them across the border? I am trying to figure out if buying a 2013 300XC down there is worthwhile or not. If anyone has personal experience or knows what the taxes / duty / import fees would be and doesn't mind sharing that info with me I would appreciate it. I know for sure there would be GST charged, but anything else? I did a bit of Googling and digging through customs documents on the web, but figure someone here must have imported a bike and could save me some time.

Thanks in advance.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Buying US 300XC - Fees / Taxes / Duty?

Post by steve-o »

no other fees other than gst.

there is a certain amount of paper work to do.

In my opinion the amount of savings after you ship it to the border from where ever you are buying it is not worth the hassle.

support your local dealer.

if you make you living in canada, support canada. :canada:

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

My opinion...
Buy the bike locally and support the local dealers, who in turn support organizations like RMDRA, who in turn work to keep our trails open and build/maintain trail.

I have bought a bike every year since 2004 and generally buy local with the following exceptions.
I brought back a WR450 back in 2008, when the Canadian dollar was $1.10 against the US and manufacturers were slow in reducing Canadian MSRP’s (saved over $2,000).
I also brought a 300XC back from Arizona in 2011. Since I was flying down, it was cheaper to buy a bike there and ride it for the week, than renting. My friend then brought it back for me. In this case the savings was ~$1,000, but only bought it for the reasons noted above.
I didn’t have much issue bringing the bikes back into Canada, you’ll need to have your US export paperwork done, and pay the GST and RIV fee (if you intend to register it). CBSA has all the info, just Google it. Canadian MSRP’s have come much more in line with exchange rates and US pricing.

My local KTM dealer (you know who are…) gives a great parts/accessories discount for buying the bike, provides great service and bends over backwards when I need parts and accessories. To save less than $1,000 and not get that isn’t worth it to me, but opinions vary…
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

To add to the above posts, that bike comes with a 30 day warranty. If you do have any issues KTM Canada will not touch that bike with a ton foot pole - you will have to return the bike to the US to get warranty work. :canada:

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

A fact based argument: be sure to check the PDI / Destination / Freight charges as well as the sticker price when comparison shopping. I was recently shown a nice comparison of a Riverside CA dealer tag and a local tag for the same bike - was $75 different on $10,000 after all the costs were in - and GST is on top of that either way.

An opinion based argument: not sure how you value your time or evaluate risk, but at the current very marginal difference state of MSRP / Exchange, any savings you do manage to squeeze out will be quickly consumed in time and hassle and uncertainty... why bother?

Go find a bike and a dealer you like, offer a fair price, get a fair deal, refer your friends, and build a relationship - don't be a price buyer.

My $0.02
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

JG2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JG2 »

I agree with all that replied here to a certain extent, for sure. If "everybody" bought their bikes in the US and their gear etc on the internet and it led to not being able to buy a tire here last minute on a Saturday for a ride on Sunday because all the dealers had gone under it would really suck.

That being said, I asked for the input so I can do some calculations and figure out the actual cost differential - $1,000 probably isn't worth the drive to wherever it is I would buy the US bike, given the value of time and fuel and the overall hassle involved. $2,000 might be the difference between a 2013 and keeping my 2011, however, so I'll do my calculations and go from there. From what all above have said it isn't going to be a $2,000 difference anyway and I'm guessing my trusty 2011 might have to do for one more year.

Thanks again.