Paypal Heads Up

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Paypal Heads Up

Post by Zeal »

Just sharing a recent paypal experience.

Long and short of it is that if you use paypal for selling something it is very easy for the buyer to return the item and force you to take it back and eat the shipping.

So luckily for me the item was not expensive and the shipping value was not large.

However, I personally won't be using paypal to sell in the future.

Zeal
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Paypal Heads Up

Post by Spinalguy »

even better (worse) is when they dispute the charges because they "never" received it. NEVER use payapl to sell stuff.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

singletrack
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by singletrack »

Here's a detailed explanation of a similar scam that apparently takes advantages in the loopholes of eBay and PayPal:

http://codenerdz.com/blog/2012/12/03/th ... ink-again/

bartziokas123
User
User

Post by bartziokas123 »

Zeal wrote:Just sharing a recent paypal experience.

Long and short of it is that if you use paypal for selling something it is very easy for the buyer to return the item and force you to take it back and eat the shipping.

So luckily for me the item was not expensive and the shipping value was not large.

However, I personally won't be using paypal to sell in the future.

Zeal
Too bad my buddy didn't pay Paypal when he bought that Gas Gas from you

calltrex
Writer
Writer

Post by calltrex »

ive used it a lot over the last 10 years. no problem at all. used it like 5 times this week

just have to send stuff with tracking to prove that they received it. never had to though

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

its funny you bring this up, I've had three people wanting to buy my daughters trials bike, all wanting to purchase with paypal, one even wanting give me more than my askign price. THere was no conversation about their kids, or wife etc, just outright wanting to pay. One dude from Washington DC, which I found out by reverse search on his txt.

Can they scam your paypal act?

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

fryguy wrote:its funny you bring this up, I've had three people wanting to buy my daughters trials bike, all wanting to purchase with paypal, one even wanting give me more than my askign price. THere was no conversation about their kids, or wife etc, just outright wanting to pay. One dude from Washington DC, which I found out by reverse search on his txt.

Can they scam your paypal act?
Probably, Lots of people on Kijiji send BS emails saying to send them your paypal info, I'd be worried. I think the concern is that they'll buy and BS claim back mostly. Why would anyone pay more than the asking price?

Was that you on #1 just outside of Brooks last Sat with a blue bike on a big long flat deck trailer?

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cberg77 »

I'm always nervous of that kinda stuff when selling.

A few months ago when I was selling my dirtbike, 2 people wanted to buy it from far away and use paypal. One person said they were from Quebec and wanted to ship the bike to Malaysia?? :thinking:

The bike was a 2007 KTM 450 XC... Not exactly one of a kind... Kinda fishy..

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

First off never use a PayPal link someone interested in your item sends you.
It will direct you to a fake PayPal website, which they use to try and fish your info for your real PayPal account, or other personal info (to access your accounts or aid in identity theft).
When selling a big ticket item such as a bike, the deal is cash or bank draft from one of the chartered banks.
Personally, I have never sold anything via PayPal or EBay that I want willing to lose if the deal went bad. That being said, I have never had an issue.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

WRocks wrote:First off never use a PayPal link someone interested in your item sends you.
It will direct you to a fake PayPal website, which they use to try and fish your info for your real PayPal account, or other personal info (to access your accounts or aid in identity theft).
When selling a big ticket item such as a bike, the deal is cash or bank draft from one of the chartered banks.
Personally, I have never sold anything via PayPal or EBay that I want willing to lose if the deal went bad. That being said, I have never had an issue.
For sure do not provide any personal or confidential solicited after following a link in a email. A really prevelant attack technique used by "Black Hat Hackers" is known as a "Man in the Middle" attack. Secure https connections are not immune to this hacking technique. Google "Man in the Middle Attack" it and you will have a increased level of anxeity, guaranteed.
#Z3B

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Always use snopes for info regardingh the various scams.
Here are a bunch of ways to be scammed:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=snopes%2 ... =firefox-a

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/paypal.asp

lots here: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/daily/daily.asp

And this one is very common with variations of my husband is at sea fighting for the USA, my husband is at sea doing marine biology, i am a widow and just want to sell this...

Here is one printed out:
nternet scams are becoming more and more common. But one little-known scam that's been around for years is hitting a little too close to home. It all starts when you try to sell something online.

Matt Sterret of Savannah built a motorcycle and then wanted to sell it to get a new one his daughter can ride. So he and his wife Hollie did what many people are doing. They put it up for sale on the internet.

"The day I posted it, we got an email from a man in Melbourne, Australia, who was interested," said Hollie. "He didn't want to see a picture or anything."

It seemed too easy and just too good to be true. A few weeks went by and they confirmed with the man he would definitely buy the bike.

"He said he would pay full price, he even offered to send extra in order to have a shipping agent come here and sent it to Australia," said Hollie.

The Steretts were a little leery. But then a check for $25,000 came in the mail, $17,000 for them and $8,000 to be wired to the shipping agent. The bank took the check and deposited the money, but Hollie sensed something was wrong and she looked up the man's email address.

"When I looked at [email provider] Fastermail, it was a scam alert when I went online, clear all the way back to 2002," said Hollie.

So the Sterrets immediately called the bank which issued the $25,000 check. It turns out it was fake and the man was part of a what's called the "Nigerian scam." If they had gone through with wiring the shipping agent money, they would have lost $8,000 out of their own account.

"Once you get the actual check, you are like, 'Here it is,'" said Hollie.

But luckily for the Steretts, intuition took over and they stopped the scam. They hope others learn from their close call.

The Steretts filed a police report. They're still selling the bike, but say they're being extra careful about the people who are inquiring about it.
Last edited by Spinalguy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Just google the reply you got and it will lead you to a site showing they are all scams.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

It's fun toying with those guys.... One of them asked me the condition of the motorcycle and what my final asking price was, so I sent back that the motorcycle was conveniently disassembled and stored in garbage bags to make shipping easier and my asking price was $75635.56. They responded that the deal sounded good and they wanted to begin the shipping process... Apparently humans don't read the emails.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

I like your style Glenn!!! I suspected right away of the scams, but just didn't realize it was quite so possible via paypal.

meanwhile..a trials bike is still for sale and not on its way to DC lol