Hey Camping Gurus...

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Hey Camping Gurus...

Post by giantjoe »

I'm pretty new to RV camping. My electrical inverter is a little messed up, the battery doesn't charge very quickly. While normally I just park it at the site and plug it in. Here's the question.

If I was going to buy a generator, what output should the thing have? Seems like 3,500W is kind of a standard size. I've got a 33' with everything but a TV if that makes any difference.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Hey Camping Gurus...

Post by Dobi »

a 2400watt yamaha will struggle to power the air conditioning. you should go 3000 or bigger. For convenience, you can get two 2000 watt honda and link them together for 3400 watts. It is about the same price and gives you the advantage of just taking one on those weekends that you won't power the AC or for an RMDRA project in the woods....

The inverters are basically a trickle charger and will take 2 days to bring a full charge into dead batteries. The keen campers will run a battery charger hooked directly to the batteries and run the generator to charge.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

And FYI, if you leave your unit plugged in constantly you will have to top up your batteries fluid on a monthly basis.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Perhaps that's the issue... Thanks for the heads up. I had it plugged in all summer and accidentally left a light on when I unplugged it. The battery was dead after 2 hours.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:And FYI, if you leave your unit plugged in constantly you will have to top up your batteries fluid on a monthly basis.
That depends on the type of convertor that is installed in your trailer. While is important to check the fluids on a monthly basis, my trailer has the 3 stage convertor and it is safe to leave plugged in, just like a batter tender.

Good tip on the batter charger. Another way to do it is to hook up the 12v leads that some generators have direct to the battery for a fast charge.

I'm looking to get some batteries. 5 years on the Trojan T-105 and they are not the greatest any more. The T-125 is the same physical size and the T-145 is a little taller. Where could I find the battery boxes that are slightly taller for the T-145?

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Greg distributors sells boxes they call large.
15-7/16" x 7-1/8" x 9-3/4"
part # 9084-1

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

DB, I have done a bit of research as I need new ones again (let mine dry out last summer.....)

The best pricing I have found is a 242 amp/hr rate 6 volt for $164 each (you do have to bring in your old one for a core) and it is battery direct. They have all the cases etc. to handle these taller batteries. I have had my current set for 6 seasons and they are still okay for a weekend, but will draw the charge from full to 1/3 over the course of a weekend at kook at thanksgiving....

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Hands down AnD battery just off Blackfoot trail has the best deal on batteries (6 and 12 volt). Ask for blemished batteries, they are 50% off and brand new, if they have them. The 6 volts go quick, so they may or may not have them.
I picked up 3 large 12v batteries for ~$70 each and a 2300/4600 watt inverter for around $280. My whole trailer is set up to run 110v from the batteries for ~$500, which I thought was a steal.

IMHO: 6 volts are not worth the money and you have to install them in pairs. I'd rather buy 12's at half the cost and change them more often if need be. Also, I only had room for 3 batteries, so went with 12volts.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Joe,
i have never needed AC, i have it but with windows open and being Alberta/BC south, i never once thought, 'gee, i wish i had a generator big and loud enough to leave on during the day to annoy all other campers so i can run my AC', or something like that thought :lol:
Seriously, you can get everything you need done with a 1800-2000W.
Good batteries are the key. i used to be a 12V guy until i tried 2 very good 6V's. No comparison. :cheers:

EDIT: maybe having infants and toddlers hanging out inside requires AC on the very odd sweltering day, if that is you...load up on the big generator. :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

kidlets do bring about the need for a generator, but be courteous and get a quiet one.

There is no comparison to 12v vs 6v. I had 3 12's and they were nowhere near as good as 2 6's, and only lasted barely 3 years. I can go 2 weeks on the 6v living in the trailer without running the generator for more than as long as it takes to run the microwave.

If you plan on camping in the spring or fall in AB, be prepared for the furnace to run all night long and burn through a 30lb bottle of propane in a weekend.
Last edited by dirtyboy on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for spelling

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i love Costco. Free delivery and warranty is awesome. Here are the latest offerings...
http://www.costco.ca/Common/Search.aspx ... lang=en-CA

Dobi, good point about the propane. And make sure before you go to bed that the FULL tank is on, not the 1/4 tank used for bbqing, or you will wake up disorientated when you swear you are freezing but the furnace keeps kicking in...
blowing COLD air :smirk:
And than you have to go outside to changeover the tank. Yeah, that was fun last thanksgiving.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Spinalguy wrote:i love Costco. Free delivery and warranty is awesome. Here are the latest offerings...
Careful that link includes a lot of construction type generators that are very loud. I bought one of those big enough to run the AC units, once and took it to a race site for the weekend. I heard complaints all weekend so I had to return it so I wouldn't hear them for years to come. And that was over all the little kids running the loud 50s all over camp! Make sure you get a quiet generator or no one will want to camp near you and you will hear complaints. The quiet generator I have now is fine for everyone around. :thumbsup:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

dirtyboy wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i love Costco. Free delivery and warranty is awesome. Here are the latest offerings...
Careful that link includes a lot of construction type generators that are very loud. I bought one of those big enough to run the AC units, once and took it to a race site for the weekend. I heard complaints all weekend so I had to return it so I wouldn't hear them for years to come. And that was over all the little kids running the loud 50s all over camp! Make sure you get a quiet generator or no one will want to camp near you and you will hear complaints. The quiet generator I have now is fine for everyone around. :thumbsup:
good point. The other option which i think MtnBlu does is run a 100ft extension cord and park the loud thing out in the bush away from everyone (as much as that is possible)
i got my Cummins generator 1800 from Costco a few years back and it is super quiet, but i still like to run the extension cord far away from everyone. :thumbsup:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtyboy wrote: Careful that link includes a lot of construction type generators that are very loud. I bought one of those big enough to run the AC units, once and took it to a race site for the weekend. I heard complaints all weekend so I had to return it so I wouldn't hear them for years to come. And that was over all the little kids running the loud 50s all over camp! Make sure you get a quiet generator or no one will want to camp near you and you will hear complaints. The quiet generator I have now is fine for everyone around. :thumbsup:
X2!!
Spend the money and get the Yamaha 3000 (or 3200, or whatever it is called) It's the quietest, hands down! Not light though, but it can do your air which I totaly need at xtinction last year and koocanusa in the summer, and anything else you want.

don't get champion, some folks have gotten them from costco and they seems kinda crappy, they've had problems with them and even when linked couldn't run air.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Is there anyone out there who doesn't use either the air conditioning or microwave? If so, what size generator/inverter has worked for you? This question is aimed at what's the smallest size you could get away with.

I have a 30W solar panel that kept the single smallish 12V that came with my trailer well maintained when in a well lit place like xtinction or Crowsnest but didn't quite cut the mustard in shadier spots. But, I wouldn't have wanted to go much over 3-4 days.

I agree that I would have liked air conditioning at xtinction last year but thats the only instance where we've really wanted it and we survived. It was only insanely hot until the mother of all thunderstorms rolled in. That storm was just about enough to pick up the odd trailer and blow it away. My neighbour's awning was a casuality. I heard a few tents didn't make it.

For a quiet generator/inverter, any idea what's quiet? If the manufacturer says its quiet will it be good enough? Or, should you stick with Steve-o's advice and go for a good brand name?

Thanks,
Aaron