**TWITTER** We're on Twitter, and you can be too!

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

**TWITTER** We're on Twitter, and you can be too!

Post by giantjoe »

First I'll start by saying that Twitter is a short message center. It's kind of like text messaging with a more public focus. Tweets (messages) are restricted to 140 characters and oftentimes pictures and links are shortened to conserve space. Some nerds have even gone so far to set up their garage doors to tweet when they are open, or have their washing machine tweet when it's done it's load. Interesting, but what value is that to the common person?

You can link it with Facebook or YouTube, or many other sites to share stuff that you've found interesting. I've actually used it to follow bands that I like and find out when they're releasing albums, or when they're touring or other interesting stuff that they want to share with their "followers". During the election, I used it to find out what was going on instead of watching mainstream media. Have you heard of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? He has a weekly game that all you have to do is tweet with a certain "hashtag" included and your tweet may make it on the show.

If you've heard of Twitter and are curious about it, why not get an account? The RMDRA is hoping to 'at least' post info about Guided Rides, perhaps some race updates, and maybe even events like trail maintenance days.

P.S. --> There is a lot less "personal information" shared on Twitter than on Facebook, so if you want to be completely anonymous it's pretty easy.

Here's a little guide to get you started.
Last edited by dirtyboy on Thu May 19, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed to Announcement
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Signing up.

Post by giantjoe »

Go to http://www.twitter.com
Your page will look something like this.

After you hit submit, you'll be redirected to a page like this.

Pick a username that you'd like, improve your password, change your name to something anonymous if you want, and hit create account.
Last edited by giantjoe on Thu May 19, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

More sign up stuff.

Post by giantjoe »

The next thing you will be asked about is interests. You can skip this step entirely by clicking at the "next step" button on the bottom of the screen. If you do want to look up things that are cool (in your opinion), you can either use the search up top, or click the links below the search bar.

Click the next step button near the bottom, and then you're presented with this screen. You can import contacts from email clients to add them as followers or to follow them. Follow the prompts after clicking the buttons for pretty clear instructions. If you don't want to do that, you can skip this step as well, by using the 'skip import" button near the bottom.

Last edited by giantjoe on Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Following people

Post by giantjoe »

On nearly every page along the process, there will be a search bar near the top. At any time you want you can type in somebody's name, like rmdra for example, and hit search. You will be taken to a page like this.

Simply click the follow button beside their name and you will be updated on your "timeline" whenever they tweet.
Last edited by giantjoe on Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Tweeting

Post by giantjoe »

When you log in or click the Twitter logo, you will be directed to a page much like this. To send out a tweet all you have to do is enter a message in the "What's Happening" box and you will send out a tweet when you hit the tweet button. Add a web address to an interesting page on the web, and Twitter will shorten the address to give you more space to comment.

If you want to talk to someone directly (but not privately) just type in their name after an @ symbol. Example @rmdra if you have a question to ask the exec. @giantj0e if you want to make fun of me, or whatever. I actually asked a question to the mayor @nenshi and he replied within a half hour, to me directly! It's pretty cool how you can communicate with people you'd never have thought would give you the time of day before, but because it's at their convenience they are more likely to respond.

Hashtags are items preceded with a # sign. They are used primarily to discuss a topic. An example of this is during the election this year. If you had something to say about the election, just type a message and end it with #elxn41 It made election topics searchable, and you could find more opinions, or articles related quite easily. Just type the hashtag in the search bar, and voila! Any post with that hashtag comes up. Jimmy Fallon plays the hashtag game weekly on his show and if you post something show worthy with that hashtag included, you might just get on his show. Kinda cool.
Last edited by giantjoe on Thu May 19, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: We're on Twitter, and you can be too!

Post by dirtyboy »

Awesome write up. I think we need to make this easy to find for the future so I've made it an Announcement. I have a question but I think I'll ask @giantj0e :D

DirtyBikes
Contributor
Contributor

Re: **TWITTER** We're on Twitter, and you can be too!

Post by DirtyBikes »

@DB_XSprint

:cheers:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Some good topics to follow:

#yyc - for anything around Calgary.
#ableg - for anything around Alberta.
Nenshi - if you want to be cool and talk with the mayor.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

DoC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DoC »

@GSXRacing
@DecalDoctorz
I'm stoked, 2 stroked!
http://www.decaldoctorz.com
http://www.facebook.com/decaldoctorz

Instagram: /gsxracing
Instagram: /decaldoctorz