Diesel mechanic and/or injector testing

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Diesel mechanic and/or injector testing

Post by axel99 »

I may have some performance issues with a 2002 Ford 7.3L with 250k km's. Any one know a shop that is set up to test injectors or a good deisel mechanic? The truck has lost allot of power over the last year! I plan to change the fuel filter and and try some in fuel injector cleaner first. If that fails to remedy the problem I will need a mechanic for a compression test, injectors and turbo inspection(maybe more).

My last resort is to take it to the dealership and get raped :thumbsdown:
#Z3B

qvast
User
User

Re: Diesel mechanic and/or injector testing

Post by qvast »

My experience w 7.3 PSD was that compression was down on all cylinders (below 200 psi) due to dust passing by the airfilter element, Bad design. Compression should be in the 400 psi range on a healthy engine. Hopefully it is something else but I would start w a compression test, I don't know a mechanic, did it myself, got the bad news and traded the truck as the engine was ruined. Look up "dusted 7.3" on the internet for more info. My truck was down on power, poor cold starts, loped when cold. Good luck. Also never add 'Engine Restore' to a PSD, as it contaminates the injector control valve, causes it to stick results in a no start. I'm rarely on the forum so if you have any questions it's Mike 403 932 9810 Cochrane.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

qvast,

Awwwwwesome.....Thanks for making my day!

Seriously...thanks for the info and the advice on the fuel additive, I never added that stuff to my fuel before, yikes. I will start with a comp test, you have inspired me to do it myself.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!
#Z3B

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

If your going the fuel additive route the only ones that I would reccomend is Howes fuel treatment, Stanadyne fuel additive or Lucas diesel injector additive. COmpression isn't too hard to check on your own and if you want the injectors tested, GCL diesel or DPS ( Diesel Performance services ) can do the job for you. Good Luck -- WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I used GCL once upon a time with my old generation one Dodge. They got that thing running like a top again. I was shocked at the difference they made with a tuneup. Not sure if it'll be that easy with your truck or not.

Cheers,
aaron

Bruce
Writer
Writer

Post by Bruce »

The 7.3L International PSD was a pretty great engine. I hope you're using a fuel conditioner each time you fuel up from Oct-May. One of the things you might be having a problem with is the plumbing on the pressurized size of the turbo. Check all the connections, hardware, cooler etc for leaks. Without boost psi, there will be no power (been there done that with a PSD). Good luck!
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

campr
User
User

Post by campr »

If you take the advice of the others that posted and still have no luck, I suggest you take it to Doyle at Fuel Automotive in Strathmore. He's a 25 year vet on Ford diesels and knows more about these trucks than anyone around the area. Had my 05 6.0l in there last summer for some major work and treated me very fair. Chances are he could diagnose your problems over the phone. He's that good!

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Bad news, looks like I got a batch of dirty fuel. Good news, changed the fuel filter last week and truck is running much better when pulling a load. Still going to do a compression test. Looked at my turbo and I don't think it got "dusted".

Thanks for the replies!
#Z3B

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

Hey Alex i know the 7.3l very well after working for ford for many years,they did have a air filter problem but 2002 should have the updated ones.I would still perform the compression test if you want to know for sure because you can't really see a dusted turbo, the injectors don't all go at once unless there is a fuel concern but sounds like you might have cured that.There were alot of injector problems but the engine usualy starts to miss when one or more are gone.I haven't worked at for for a few years now but if you have anymore questions i might be able to help you out.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I am having issues with my 6.0l Ford. The high pressure oil pump is gone and Ford wants $1500.00 for it plus $1200.00 to install it! Anyone have a mechanic that will do this for less. I found a pump online for about $750.00.
Claude

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

Claude I have used Donavan From Miller Automotive Repair in Okotoks with good success.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

cladoo wrote:I am having issues with my 6.0l Ford. The high pressure oil pump is gone and Ford wants $1500.00 for it plus $1200.00 to install it! Anyone have a mechanic that will do this for less. I found a pump online for about $750.00.
you should talk to dude. he seems to know a few ins and outs about ford diesel's.