The use of knee braces and injury prevention

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: The use of knee braces and injury prevention

Post by thirtyseven »

This is what they look like, I'm sure if you tell whoever you're dealing with they'll know exactly what you want. :thumbsup:
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

They shouldn't charge you for the knee caps/cups.

Ask for the straps to be riveted in, NOT SCREWS.
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

I didn't know that ever time when ever I have seen them it was without the knee cap protection thanks.

37 you need to paint those orange now.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Thanks, i had no idea. :thumbsup:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

They have knee cups that stay in place. I won't ride without my CTi's.
Claude

Bruce
Writer
Writer

Post by Bruce »

I've never had any knee issues etc... From what I'm reading, some are recommending these things to avoid having issues after a crash? I crash alot, should I be looking at these?
'09 Husaberg FE 570
'10 Ducati Multistrada S

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Bruce wrote:I've never had any knee issues etc... From what I'm reading, some are recommending these things to avoid having issues after a crash? I crash alot, should I be looking at these?
Think of it as a helmet for your knees.
The voices are back. Awesome!

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I had a street bike accident about 15 years ago that only resulted in a partial tear. I can still remember clearly that it sucked big time :thumbsdown:

I've already been to see somebody and get X-rays (thanks spinalguy, highly recommended). Approval from insurance is :thumbsup:

Hopefully they're ready for race #1!!

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Post by actionsports »

It is important to draw a distinction between ligament bracing and impact guards such as the Asterisk and POD. Both have their place, but have vastly different intentions designed into the the product offerings. Impact guards are great at deflecting flying rocks, roost, sticks, debris, and your buddy's bike as you stuff him. Ligament braces (CTi braces) are intended to support your knee ligaments (ACL, PCL, MCL, etc.) as you post hole your leg off an obstacle such as a log or rutted section on a course. The shearing forces are distributed into the arms of the brace and will undergo failure in order to help protect the ligaments of the knees. So, different braces = different outcomes from a medical perspective. Thats why custom braces are "tight" and fit with a greater degree of accuracy.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit!

Cheers,

Shawn Rennick

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

I think custom braces would be great but unfortunately for some the insurance will only cover you after the fact so we have the aftermarket braces.I know for a fact that after recovering from a broken leg that if i had not had an aftermarket brace on things would have been worse...bones heal alot quicker than ligaments.I think the asterisk and pods and a few of the other braces are just a little bit more than impact gaurds and definitely work when custom is not an option at the moment.

BrioleVoiturier

Post by BrioleVoiturier »

asterisk are the best ones but they need to be rebuild each year.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

actionsports wrote:It is important to draw a distinction between ligament bracing and impact guards such as the Asterisk and POD. Both have their place, but have vastly different intentions designed into the the product offerings. Impact guards are great at deflecting flying rocks, roost, sticks, debris, and your buddy's bike as you stuff him. Ligament braces (CTi braces) are intended to support your knee ligaments (ACL, PCL, MCL, etc.) as you post hole your leg off an obstacle such as a log or rutted section on a course. The shearing forces are distributed into the arms of the brace and will undergo failure in order to help protect the ligaments of the knees. So, different braces = different outcomes from a medical perspective. Thats why custom braces are "tight" and fit with a greater degree of accuracy.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit!

Cheers,

Shawn Rennick
Great clarification :thumbsup: i would not skimp out on protecting my knees. Most insurance plans cover the cost. You need a MD who has a clue about knees(do they do a detailed exam? or just write a prescription based on a symptom? Will they write it for both knees?, etc) or see Shawn above or myself for a very detailed exam and letter that you can take to your MD to get a prescription for bracing for BOTH knees.
There are now more and more insurance companies utilizing the skills and recommendations from Chiropractors like myself and Shawn.
Last edited by Spinalguy on Tue May 03, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

I can't speak for the others but cti braces have a lifetime guarantee, if they need rebuilt – just send them to the clinic you got them from and they send them back to cti. If cti can’t rebuild them they replace them. I have had mine rebuilt and when you get them back you would never know they weren’t brand new!
There is a $50 deductable/brace for rebuilding but thats cheap to have new braces again.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

porschev wrote:I can't speak for the others but cti braces have a lifetime guarantee, if they need rebuilt – just send them to the clinic you got them from and they send them back to cti. If cti can’t rebuild them they replace them. I have had mine rebuilt and when you get them back you would never know they weren’t brand new!
There is a $50 deductable/brace for rebuilding but thats cheap to have new braces again.
That is GREAT info Dallas. Thanks.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

hilux94
Writer
Writer

Post by hilux94 »

Spinalguy wrote:
porschev wrote:I can't speak for the others but cti braces have a lifetime guarantee, if they need rebuilt – just send them to the clinic you got them from and they send them back to cti. If cti can’t rebuild them they replace them. I have had mine rebuilt and when you get them back you would never know they weren’t brand new!
That is GREAT info Dallas. Thanks.

ARe we sure this is true..

Mine need a rebuild and they are less then 1.5 years old and I was told $500+

Can someone who deals in them confirm?
2012 250XC

"If you can't be good, be good at it"