Radiant vs Forced Air Garage Heater

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Radiant vs Forced Air Garage Heater

Post by Hendrix13 »

I need to put a garage heater in my garage but I'm really torn between a Forced Air or Radiant heater.
The radiant heater is only about $400 more so I don't think that's enough to sway me.

It seems to me that a Radiant heater would be nicer but there are a few cons.

- It's big and bulky (like 10ft long).
- Can't store anything within 36" of it. (How does this work if I park my vehicles in the garage). Also eliminates some storage from the ceiling.
- It would potentially be right over my work bench. Would it be too hot to work with it that close?

I was leaning towards a radiant heater but now I'm not sure it's worth it??

I'd be interested to here any experiences or recommendations from those who have these (or forced air) in their garage and what they like or don't like about them.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Last edited by Hendrix13 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Grumps
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Radiant vs Forced Air Garage Heater

Post by Grumps »

I think it depends mostly what you intend to do. Shirt sleve work in the middle of February? Forced air for sure. Occasional heating and taking the chill off to do some small jobs? Radiant.

I've heard of radiant bubbling/peeling the paint off of cars that were too close.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Forced air is great, kick on the heater and walk in with a t-shirt 10 minutes later. Some people say sludge like "cold tools" but I've never had any problems. They are more common, easier to install, and you may be able to find one used. I got mine for $300 including the chim-chimney!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

All the radiant heaters I've seen were ceiling mounted, can I ask which one you're talking about?

The one's I've been looking at are similar to these:
http://www.rg-inc.com/caribe-infrared-garage-heater.htm
http://www.garageheatersdirect.ca/products.php

I need something for my garage also, but hadn't thought of going with a forced air unit.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dirtbuddy420
Writer
Writer

Post by Dirtbuddy420 »

I have one of THESE rigs that i scored off Kijiji. Works great in our 24x24 garage that's insulated but not drywalled. Like others say from -azillion to t-shirt weather in ~10mins :thumbsup:
2008 WR450

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm super happy with my radiant heater. It has a thermostat on the wall and I wear shirt sleeves in February. Cheap on fuel too.

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

Under your work bench? Hang it from the ceiling. Radiant takes up more space but it is way nicer heat because it warms the objects not the air. Also because the flame is at a really high spot there is less chance of gas fumes catching on fire.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

rock93 wrote:Under your work bench? Hang it from the ceiling. Radiant takes up more space but it is way nicer heat because it warms the objects not the air. Also because the flame is at a really high spot there is less chance of gas fumes catching on fire.
Opps..I did mean over my work bench hung from the ceiling.

The more I talk about this with people, it seems that I may be leaning towards a forced air heater. I would only really be in the garage a couple hours 1-2 times per week. I'm not sure the radiant heater is worth the extra space and risk to my vehicles if I decided to park them in my garage. :thinking:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

I also have forced air in the garage, and I think it works great.
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Hendrix13 wrote: I would only really be in the garage a couple hours 1-2 times per week. I'm not sure the radiant heater is worth the extra space and risk to my vehicles if I decided to park them in my garage. :thinking:
If this is all you need it for....I would seriously consider the dish type radiant heater from Costco...its about $70? It looks like a fan, but it a radiant heater. I fire that unit up and it takes the chill off my garage in about 30 min. Then I can easily wrench on my bike even when it is -25. You can aim it more your way or where you are working, super portable and doesnt take up much space.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1

:cheers:

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

x2 on the 'simple' approach. I have a 220 v construction heater (I think they are around $100 - $200 but I'm not sure since my wife bought me this as a gift one year). It's one of those small square ones.

I just have to turn it on 10-30 mins before I head out, depending on the starting temp. I was skeptical, but it's actually perfect for the odd time I want to do some work during the winter (e.g. a few times a month). I can work in a tee-shirt no problem, and usually have to turn it down or aim it away from where I'm working once the garage is warmed up. It has a built in thermostat, so maintains the temp quite nicely.

Rod

P.S. My garage is insulated and drywalled. Without the heater, it normally doesn't go below 0 for the majority of the winter. Usually stays between 5 and 10*C, but it will go below 0 the odd time if we get a long cold stretch. So, YMMV.
'13 KTM 250 xc

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

How big is your garage?

I've got a single car detached garage, insulated walls, but not ceiling, and I can work in there comfortably (not T-shirt if it's -30C, but in a sweatshirt for sure) all winter long with only a 220V electric construction heater. It takes around 1/2hr to an hour to get nice and warm depending how cold it is, and most of the time during a Calgary winter, I'm turning the heater down because it's too hot.

If you have 220V to your garage, and it's not a huge space, I'd look into it. They're cheap, quiet, and best of all REALLY easy/inexpensive to install - no gas lines, no hanging things from the ceiling, etc..., spend the $150, plug it in, you're done. Then unplug it and move it out of the way when you don't need it. They're perfect for occasional use IMHO.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I haven't had much luck with electric heaters. Admittedly they all have been 110 v but I don't want to mess around anymore. If I added all the money I spent on heaters over the years I could have had a garage heater a long time ago :smirk:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I have a radiant, it is great - keeps the garage at an even temperature quietly without a fan. I let my wife park her car in the garage in winter (I think it's a garage; she thinks it's a parkade) and it hasn't harmed the paint.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Thanks for everyone's input. It was very helpfull :thumbsup:
Yesterday I order the Forced Air heater for the garage. I originally really liked the idea of the radiant heater but after some consideration I think the Forced Air heater will get the job done. :applause:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250