Ramps?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Ramps?

Post by giantjoe »

I just bought a friggin' monster truck, and will need a ramp for it. I'm heading to Fisher East on Thursday, I think there's a ramp-like hill I can load on there, but ultimately I'm gonna need something.

It's a 06 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4, tall tailgate height (around 4' I think), but a short box (5'7"). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will work?
Last edited by giantjoe on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Ramps?

Post by Brass »

The voices are back. Awesome!

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

There are deff a few different lengths available.... varying from 71" to 95".... I would think something in the 95" (or about 7and 3/4 feet long) wouldnt be too bad of an angle. They are deff. out there, Ive only flipped through 2 catalouges and Ive seen a few :)
I'll just add that you can get them in folding versions so they fit in the box all closed up! They really have thought of everything!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have an aluminum folding moose one that is around 8ft long. I love it. I use mine to ride the bikes into the truck with no fear of it breaking. It fits nicely sideways under the bikes in the box (4ft when folded). I did buy it from CW but can't recall the price.

I used to drive a dodge that was quite tall and it worked fine for it. The safest way is to use a bike stand and walk the bike up the ramp and step onto the bike stand as you push the bike up or down the ramp. With long legs you can get away with pushing the bike to the top of the ramp, hold the front brake and climb into the truck from flat ground to finish loading.

load the bike straight in off to the center of the cab, tie it down, then angle the back of the bike across the box to close the gate. You can load diagonal into the corner of the box, but it takes some well placed tie-downs to keep the bike from rolling back and forth....

Congrats on the new rig.

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

sounds like a sweet ride :headbang:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i used to use 2 wooden planks that were 8 feet, one for the bike and one for me to walk up. But i have an 8+ foot box.
Anyways, the 950 i bought recently is much heavier and i was afraid to use the wooden plank (T-joist), so i went to Princess Auto last week as they were having a Ramp sale. i got a folding ramp for $80. i love it and my Dodge is bigger than your Titan :D :cheers:
Last edited by Spinalguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

:confused: your 10' tall, just drop it in. :bonk: :smirk:
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

dirtrider23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dirtrider23 »

Did someone say ramp sale??

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Dude wrote::confused: your 10' tall, just drop it in. :bonk: :smirk:
Oh right, I forgot about that...

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

dirtrider23 wrote:Did someone say ramp sale??
i just looked at the flyer. It looks like ramps were last week.
here is a link to their ramps online. The stores carry some of them and have more choice. i don't see the one i bought :confused:
http://www.princessauto.com/view-all-pr ... h_limiter=
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

I picked up a ramp plate end from princess auto. Fastened it to a 2x8x8 nailed some 1.5" strips of 3/8 ply wood across the 2x8 as cleats for traction. Its a $25 dollar ramp I have used for 10 years. Oh ya... drill two holes 2/3 of the way up the ramp and thread a piece of rope through the holes to give you something to tie the ramp to your bumper. It rally sucks when you are unloading your bike and the ramp kicks out :blush: I drive a F250 4x4 and the 8' ramp works well for me.
The nice thing is you don't need to worry about any one stealing your fancy aluminum ramp.
#Z3B

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

axel99 wrote:I picked up a ramp plate end from princess auto. Fastened it to a 2x8x8 nailed some 1.5" strips of 3/8 ply wood across the 2x8 as cleats for traction. Its a $25 dollar ramp I have used for 10 years. Oh ya... drill two holes 2/3 of the way up the ramp and thread a piece of rope through the holes to give you something to tie the ramp to your bumper. It rally sucks when you are unloading your bike and the ramp kicks out :blush: I drive a F250 4x4 and the 8' ramp works well for me.
The nice thing is you don't need to worry about any one stealing your fancy aluminum ramp.
i like your thinking...
i too have enjoyed the PA ramp plate ends.

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

The Quad ramps that unfold to go right across your trucks entire tailgate are the ticket. Liquidation outfits have these pretty cheap.

Pilsung2
User
User

Post by Pilsung2 »

I got one of these and it works great with short box trucks that the tailgates need to be left down

http://www.discountramps.com/ready-ramp ... tender.htm

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

http://www.extrememax.com/catalogs/atv- ... tender.php

Image Image

Just bought one of these from Truck Outfitters. Installed it and it looks good so far. Pretty heavy duty. It's small enough folded up to fit in the cab of the truck while I'm out riding! (hopefully on Friday)