If you ever raced MX

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

If you ever raced MX

Post by Brenan225 »

Sad news today Zoli Sr passed away. If you ever raced MX in western Canada you were probably beat by the old man.
Resist, Insist,and Persist

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: If you ever raced MX

Post by Shibby! »

Did he also race hare scrambles with an 92 RM250 with the Second Gear club?

I met a guy the first and only race i've done a few years ago and talked with him and his other buddies for an hour or more after the race. Said he used to race MX and his son is or was a pro racer as well? Lived in South Calgary. He gave me his number to go riding or if I needed help working on my bike..

Same guy? Feel bad if it's not, feel horrible if it is..
Last edited by Shibby! on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Wangchung »

Very sad news.
I raced against him in the early 90's, Intermediate 500 class. Back then he was around ~55yrs young and was still laying down some killer moto's. I only talked to him a few times, and all I can remember is that he was a humble man that loved the sport of MX. If he wasn't racing, he was watering the track or operating a shovel

R.I.P. # 67 you will be missed by all. A great ambassador for canadian mx.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Shibby! wrote:Did he also race hare scrambles with an 92 RM250 with the Second Gear club?

I met a guy the first and only race i've done a few years ago and talked with him and his other buddies for an hour or more after the race. Said he used to race MX and his son is or was a pro racer as well? Lived in South Calgary. He gave me his number to go riding or if I needed help working on my bike..

Sorry to hear of Zoli's passing, he was a great old guy with some awesome stories. Shibby, you were talking to Joe Cerny, his son is Julian Cerny and he was racing the Canadian nationals up until last year I believe. If you go out with Joe be prepared, he will ride for many hours without a break and make you feel like you spent too much on a fancy new bike, when he is on your tail all day with his XR200. -- WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

WR_Dave wrote:
Shibby! wrote:Did he also race hare scrambles with an 92 RM250 with the Second Gear club?

Sorry to hear of Zoli's passing, he was a great old guy with some awesome stories. Shibby, you were talking to Joe Cerny, his son is Julian Cerny and he was racing the Canadian nationals up until last year I believe. If you go out with Joe be prepared, he will ride for many hours without a break and make you feel like you spent too much on a fancy new bike, when he is on your tail all day with his XR200. -- WR Dave

A huh!!

That's him. I didn't end up calling him, but wished I did. Great guy.

Still sad to hear about MX legends passing away.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

Condolences to the family. I think I've got a story on file somewhere about Jr. and Sr. racing at a CMA event in The Hat back in '90.
And a guy I worked with in Van used to tell great stories about Sr. schooling 'em in the woods.
We should all be so lucky to ride as long and as hard as Sr. did.
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

I remeber seeing him race the expert (Pro)class with his son in the seventies and being impressed. When I got back into dirt biking and found out he was still riding(and a world vet champion} I was super impressed. The guy was a legend.