Remembering my Mom...

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Remembering my Mom...

Post by Spinalguy »

The call came this morning. My Mom passed away at 4:44am. :(

My Mom married my Dad 55 years ago. She produced 7 kids over a 9 year period. This is quite amazing but what could be even more crazy is she NEVER had nor ever got a driver license.

i remember bus rides with 4 of my other siblings to the grocery store with a taxi drive back home.

i remember going by bus early on in my hockey career to the arenas with my Mom. She was the one that tied my skates.

i remember Mom always jumping in between my 2 oldest siblings (brothers) when they scrapped. She was fearless.

i remember a period of my life when i was not a good person (14-21) and no matter how many times the police were involved in my life, my Mom stood behind me and toned down the incidents for my Dad.

i remember it was Mom that doled out the punishment with her trusty metal spoon.

i remember that every day of the week was the same meal, year after year. Monday was pork chop day. Tuesday was Spanish Steak stew. Wednesday was Chicken. Thursday was Spaghetti. Friday was Pancake, fish or leftover day. Saturday was bbq day and Sunday was Roast Beef.

i remember that she was intensely loyal to her family. Her kids would be defended no matter what. She was immensely proud of us all.

i remember 1984. She was crossing a street when a drunk driver hit her not once, but twice with her final resting spot against a concrete light pole. She was pronounced dead on arrival.

i remember wishing she had died :blush:

i remember her surviving and my Dad committing his life to getting her well. 1 year in the hospital, and many years of live in nurses. The Docs said she would never function as a human being ever again.

i remember she proved those Docs wrong Even though she lost 1/2 of her left parietal lobe, the other side took over. Unheard of back in 84 and she was written up in the medical journals for this feat.

i remember that 1984 was the first time i lost my Mom. The brain damage was so severe that she did lose what made her Mom.

i remember that she was hit by cars 2 more times and pronounced dead on arrival 2 more times! This was over a 20 year span since 84. She survived those hits as well. All 3 hits were 100% found to be driver error.

i remember my Mom being diagnosed with Congestive heart failure 10 years ago and surviving numerous bouts of being rushed to the hospital over the last decade.

i remember my Dad standing by her side throughout these traumas.

i remember my Mom ALWAYS with a smile on her face. She would light up, when ever i walked in to visit her unannounced.

i remember that no matter how bad she felt, she never complained. Just a smile on her face... always.

i remember lifting her up into my jeep with the top and doors off and the uncertain expression she shared with me before we embarked on a drive with her giggling all the way.

i remember flying home 3 weeks ago for a 24 hour visit as she was again rushed to the hospital with congestive heart failure. i remember that i felt sad seeing her suffering as i had felt back in 84. i remember thinking it was time for her to let go.

i remember her as a devout Catholic. i remember hating God when the accident occurred in 84. It took many years to realize that her accident brought our family so much closer. That must have been God's purpose. i don't hate God anymore.

Her last words this morning were..."Oh sludge" :lol: i remember my Mom as being a funny lady.

She had Native roots and i believe that her determination to come back from the dead 3 times has something to do with that Spirit. She never quit anything. She also never worked in a job since being married. She worked her butt off raising 7 kids.

Prayers to whatever entity you choose for my Dad. He will need all the strength and support he can get. My Mom was his LIFE.

i love you Mom and i will miss you very much.

i need to keep busy, but writing this has allowed me to shed the tears and the release i desperately needed. :crybaby:
Thank you.
Tom
_____
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Remembering my Mom...

Post by markvfr »

So sorry to hear about your loss TK. :( My deepest condolences and hang in there.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Tom,

First off, my condolences to you and your family. Unfortunately I know what it feels like to lose your mom. Be thankful, you had a great one. Second, thanks for posting this, although it made me cry at work, it made me think of my mom.

Scott
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Hey Tom,

Thanks for sharing - and be strong. It sounds like your mom absolutely taught you how to be that.

Your friends,
Derek & Andrea
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Nice write up Tom. Sorry about your Mom.

absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by absurveyor »

Condolences to you and your family Tom.
That was a very nice write up that will not leave a dry eye.

Rhonda, Jacques and the boys
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Tom.

Sorry to read about the loss of you Mom. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Jamie
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Sorry to hear of your loss Tom. Sounds like she was a remarkable woman.

Take care,
Ryan and Renée

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Tom, your Mom is proud...I can feel it brother :applause:

Thoughts and prayers are with you and the family...especially your Dad!

Take care my friend :cheers:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Tom
Really sorry to here about your Mom.Thanks for the great write up. :thumbsup:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Wow if that didn't bring tears to my eyes. God speed Mrs Kelly. Tom.....my deepest, deepest, condolences. Chuck

BigR
Writer
Writer

Post by BigR »

Sorry to hear about your mom Tom. You have spoke to me about her before, she was an amazing person.
Had to stop and wipe some tears as well.
If you need anything , you know we're here.

Ron & Les
I have no enlightening quips

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Tom,

I am so sorry for your loss. I heard earlier today. You are in my families thoughts and prayers!

Steve and Steph

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

Thank you for letting us into your world Tom. Very well written. She sounds like the type of person the world needs more of.
Deepest sympathies from all your friends at Cycle Works.
If you need to talk or I can do anything for you pls let me know.
Allie
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Very sorry to hear of your loss Tom. Your Mom sounds like a incredible woman. We wish your father and family the best in this difficult time.