Pressure Suits ? More Protection

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
thegoose

Pressure Suits ? More Protection

Post by thegoose »

On Sunday I took a nasty “ Superman “ over the bars which resulted in a fractured and dislocated right shoulder. The dislocation was resolved and x rays have confirmed the fracture. :cripple:
Now I have wiped out my fare share in the past but nothing with the consequences that I now face. I have an orthopaedic consult tomorrow where the orthopod will discuss surgery.
Although I am grateful that the injury was not more serious I am still wondering if possibly better protective gear would have prevented the extent that I did suffer.
Being new to this sport and riding what I believe to be well within my limits, I believe I dress responsibly. I wear a Leatt Brace as well as knee braces to protect a older tweaked ACL. I wear a common roost protector as well as elbow pads.Pants boots and gloves of course
I was just wondering if a pressure suit is common to motocross and trail riding and if so would they have offered more protection than my roost/ shoulder guard.
I have participated in the last two Corner Grass events in the “ sportsman “ division and I am surprised with how little protection some riders wear
Do you wear a pressure suit ? Do they offer more protection ? What are the pros and cons ?

Thanks In Advance
The Goose

ps A SPECIAL THANKS TO THE GUYS AT B.U.M.P FOR LOADING THE BIKES AND GIVING ME THE HELP TO GET MY SORRY BROKEN *** HOME ,,, i APPRECIATE IT !! :applause: :cripple:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Pressure Suits ? More Protection

Post by Hendrix13 »

The best quote I've heard to describe the protection chest protectors provide is from Dirt Rider Magazine..
"they only protect you from bricks falling out of trees" (maybe not an exact quote...but you get the idea)

I don't have the experience some other riders do, but I wear the Dainese pressure suit.

First off...it's hot..heavy...and bulky. It's meant for street bikes but at the time it was the only decent one I could find. I've compared it with some of the SixSixOne Pressure suits available today and the protection of the Dainese is far superior in my opinion.

Now I have taken, what I would consider, some very hard crashes with mine. So much that the suit had left an imprint in my shoulder. (I won't make the next obvious comment and Jinx it :smirk: ). But I've gotten use to it and I don't ride without it.

I need to go to work the next day after riding.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Bummer about your crash.

i bought a pressure suit last year. i wore it in Moab.
My nipples got destroyed :blush: :lol: , so there is a con. Bandaids solved future rides. :smirk:

i don't wear it anymore. The other con for me was, the suit wanted to travel up. :thumbsdown:
Others have said that doesn't happen to them. Mine does have a kidney belt attached.

i figured it was the spine protector, so i grinded out a couple pieces that were unnecessary for my 'build'.
Next ride, it still rode up but at a slower rate (and chafed my nipples...forgot the bandaids :D ).
The end result? The suit forced the back of my helmet forward. Oh well.

So long story, longer. My 'new' suit is for sale. :thumbsup:
Protection.
i really liked the elbow/forearm coverage and feel. The spine protection was excellent.
The chest?
i never had the opportunity to test the chest protector from rock roost but it felt 'weak'.

Get well :thumbsup:

Tk
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

i bought one of the RXR bladder type protectors and felt that it did offer more protection than a regular plastic one but it was really hot. It did not chaffe any important bits though.

I did try on a few pressure suits and did not like the comfort level of them. I don't feel that they offer that much more protection either. the broken bones and dislocated shoulders would have likely occured with any chest protector/suit. Perhaps the Leatt brace was a contributor to the shoulder fracture. I have heard a few issues about collar bones? Likely not a reason not to wear it but a possible cause?

I am still wearing a zip-tied plastic thor one from a few years ago and feel it provides the protection I need for ribs and spine. I don't wear armguards as the arm pump becomes such an issue that it becomes more dangerous than a fall or brush with a tree.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

I have had a Mace swat jacket suit now for four years and have had some big crashes off some sizable mountain bike structures and walked away with nothing more then some bruising. I think it was the differences between going to work the next day or not. The shoulder protection is nice for stopping branches from getting you as you rush by. They will defiantly save you from most shoulder injuries and back impact injuries from rocks, but they do have their draw backs. If they are not fitted right they will ride up, and they are very warm in the mid summer months.

The mace brand have removable spin for those hot days. http://www.bikeparts.com/pimage/BPC320311.jpg

Roost protectors are good for just that, they where never designed to protect you from impact. JMO

If you do buy one try out many bands until you get a good fit. Stick with the mountain bike brands as they are usually not as hot.

Hope you get well soon
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

thegoose wrote: I wear a Leatt Brace as well as knee braces to protect a older tweaked ACL. I wear a common roost protector as well ...
One more thing...
If you're looking at getting a pressure suit, make sure it fits with your Leatt Brace. Some work way better then others. It took a lot of work to get my brace to work with my suit.

Get well soon :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

I have a Thor Impact Rig SE one, and don't mind it, as long as it's cool out. It fits me great, no chaffing issues at all, and gives great protection, plus has a kidney belt. Elbow pads are great as well. It's really hot in the summer, therefore I usually use a regular chest protector when it's warmer out.

Though I like mine, I don't feel it gives me any more protection than a regular chest protector, save for the elbow pads, which I don't wear when I use my normal protector.

-Rick
Rick Charles
#971 Junior
2007 WR450F

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I did a lot of research into these several years ago - and I bought what I think was far superior to any others available at the time - it is made by RockGardn. I think it still provides as good or better protection than I have ever seen someone else wearing when out riding/changing etc. It also has the spine protection, kidney belt built in, etc. I partially bought it because of the the mesh backing it uses - which I felt would be cooler, and it was reviewed as being one of the better breathing/not so hot (heat) units. That said, I can't wear it if it's over 15 deg C. Too darn' hot!

Better protection from a crash, yeah - if no protection is 0, and perfect protection is 100, and chest protector with shoulder and upper arm protectors, combined with elbow/forearm pads, etc would score a 40, I'd give the pressure suit a 60. (And I'm a guy who's had shoulder surgery 3 times...) In my opinion, no off the shelf, general protection gear is gonna hold my arm in place if I happen to have it in the wrong place in a crash...

Good luck with the shoulder!

D. :thumbsup:

PS - the RockGardn fits excellent - no riding up, moving around, or "chafing"!
Last edited by crazy2wheeler on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Great post. Ian got speared a couple of months ago, just below the chest protector. I figured I would be breaking the arrow off both sides. Scared the sludge out of me. In the end we got lucky, he just brused and bled a bit, no penetration. So we have been considering pressure suits but don't find that they have the same sort of front protection that our conventional over the jersey plastic gives.
Last edited by Hammer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i went and grabbed my suit. It is a 661 make.
This onehttp://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Mot ... 427821bab7
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Bushwagon
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bushwagon »

I've been wearing a 661 pressure suit for three years. It's saved my butt so many different times I probably can't count that high. Four of my friends also ride the same suit as me when they ride in the bush.

Everybody says they are hot, I find that every single person I have talked to who says they are hot has never owned one. My breathes extremely well, and on hot days I wear it without a jersey for a little cooler feel.

The only time I feel it's a bit hot is when I'm not moving, for instance hoofing the bike over some logs :smirk: .... When I'm moving, the air is flowing and everything is just awesome. I don't even ride around the farm without it, and I will always wear something similar from now on.

My 2 cents.
Elwyn E
#221 30b
'18 350 XC

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Bought Ian the 661 Comp suit last night. Fits so well, just not enough chest protection so he is going to wear a chest protector over top. The combination completed the protection for his chest and shoulders. Great mobility in the shop anyway. Will report back after a ride today/tomorrow.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

Carter
User
User

Post by Carter »

I second the need for body armour. I have the 661 pressure suit and it works well for me, it didn't fit my buddy well so he bought the Rockgardn. I had a nasty get off last weekend, the bike did a speed wobble (tank slapper) at about 60km/h. I was thrown up and over so fast I didn't even know what happened. I hit the ground from about 8 feet up directly onto my back. Iam bruised from my neck to my tailbone. The ER doc told me that if I wasn't wearing armour I would have most certainly had a broken back... at best. Instead I "escaped" with a broken collar bone, cracked ribs and scapula, and some minor bleeding in my lungs.

the cool thing about the 661 is that the airholes in the padding leave little red dots on your skin when you take a hit. You then have a laugh cause you know it could have been much worse.

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Carter wrote:
the cool thing about the 661 is that the airholes in the padding leave little red dots on your skin when you take a hit. You then have a laugh cause you know it could have been much worse.
You won't be laughing much with broken ribs... :cripple: Been there done that. :)

Sounds like a nasty get off. Heal up quick and well.

I can also vouch for a pressure suit (I have the EVS BJ55) and its not hot at all once you're moving. When you stop, its a different story. I've ridden with it in +35-40C with no problems, the perforations do a better job of ventilating than wearing a jersey. I also really like how everything is built in. The elbow pads don't ride down, kidney belt attached etc. Good stuff.