Stolen bike recovered. Where will it be auctioned off?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Stolen bike recovered. Where will it be auctioned off?

Post by SteveOg »

My street bike was stolen from a "secure" parkade and recently recovered. It's damaged but I'd like to see if I can get it back at auction to maybe try and get some parts off it for my next one. Any idea where Intact Insurance sends its recovered bikes to be sold off?

And yes, I asked my adjuster but she didn't know and hasn't returned my email asking her to check for me. Thanks. ...Steve

blackchrome
User
User

Re: Stolen bike recovered. Where will it be auctioned off?

Post by blackchrome »

Intact insurance sends there salvage vehicles to the impact auto auctions good chance its the airdrie location if you live in Calgary area. the only part that sucks is you need to be a member ($200 fee). Can check there site see if thats where it is.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

blackchrome wrote:Intact insurance sends there salvage vehicles to the impact auto auctions good chance its the airdrie location if you live in Calgary area. the only part that sucks is you need to be a member ($200 fee). Can check there site see if thats where it is.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll check them out and see if it’s listed.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

It will likely be at the Calgary location off of duff drive or the Baker holding lot which is a few blocks away from duff drive.. Impact airdrie is only used for non damaged rental cars and lease back auctions now. Everything else goes to Calgary. You can also request to retain salvage from the adjuster sometimes you can sometimes you have to go bid on it.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Braap791 wrote:It will likely be at the Calgary location off of duff drive or the Baker holding lot which is a few blocks away from duff drive.. Impact airdrie is only used for non damaged rental cars and lease back auctions now. Everything else goes to Calgary. You can also request to retain salvage from the adjuster sometimes you can sometimes you have to go bid on it.
Thanks. I called them today and it was out at he location just off Peigan. No word on when it'll go to auction or what the status will be when it does due to the damage but at least I found it. I tried to buy it back from insurance but I either had to choose the replacement value coverage amount or take the bike and a couple grand to fix it so it was a no-brainer for me to walk away from it. If they'll allow it to be registered again after purchase I might try and get it and fix it up for sentimental reasons. I like the bike and wouldn't mind getting it on the road again if the price is right.

Thanks again for the info. Mission accomplished. :applause:

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

When I hit a deer on my streetbike years ago, the insurance company wrote it off, but then I bought it off of them for salvage price before they put it on auction. But sounds like your insurance won't let you do that?

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

markvfr wrote:When I hit a deer on my streetbike years ago, the insurance company wrote it off, but then I bought it off of them for salvage price before they put it on auction. But sounds like your insurance won't let you do that?
They might if I try again but when I was trying to settle the claim it was either I get the money to fix the bike and take the bike back or I collect the amount to buy a brand new one, plus all my add-ons. They weren’t willing to work anything else out and I didn’t push too hard because I didn’t he replacement cost was a much better deal for me.

It’s not worth anything to anyone else at auction so I’ll try and get it for cheap, assuming they allow it to be registered again. The damage is all cosmetic from the theft and rough handling of it. It wasn’t ridden or even started while it was out of my possession.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

It may require a salvage inspection from a bike shop before it can be registered again. At that point it may carry a rebuilt status on the registration.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Braap791 wrote:It may require a salvage inspection from a bike shop before it can be registered again. At that point it may carry a rebuilt status on the registration.
That’ll be fine by me. I don’t plan to sell it and would just play around with it and I want something cheap and fun to ride when the urge hits.