Cargo Van opinion

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Cargo Van opinion

Post by Wangchung »

Im thinking of adding a cargo van to the fleet for transporting dirt bike. I currently have a truck and a 6x12 trailer. I find the trailer a bit of a pain in the butt.
Anyone here using a cargo van, if so what are you driving, how do you like it. List any pro and cons.
Thanks in advanced. Wayne

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Cargo Van opinion

Post by malcolmzilla »

06 E250 5.4, regular body, Clydesdale 4x4 TTB conversion
Old Enmax command van, basket case super cheap purchase, to try as a proof of concept that a motovan was the way to go
After having to take the ditch with the truck and trailer on the trunk road as opposed to head on with a @#$! that crossed over a couple years ago, lucky i didn't roll
Needed a ton of work, new transmission, rear main, driveline, shocks, plugs, steering box, etc etc
293XXX km now

Secure and enclosed, no road rocks dust mud salt beating your bike
I added an alarm, for road trips "chirp" on lock and hit the hotel, its somewhat discreet looking (reminds me to add septic or rendering service decals :D), option to load the night prior, unload the day after
Nice place to change out in inclement weather, mine has rear heat and air
Way better emergency handling/options compared to towing a trailer up the trunk road and/or in winter
And umm the part time 4x4, this thing is great, really good balance in winter conditions, have even wheeled it in low range down lost knife in the mud to pull out a 4runner
8600lbs GVWR package, have hit 7800 loaded with 2 bikes, camping gear, water, fuel, etc, would not get the 1/2 ton version
Parts are relatively cheap and common
Not my daily, so for moto very convenient
5.4 2 valve people complain, but i find the power decent, just let it eat, 4500 rpm in second up the San Rafael Swell climb for like 5 minutes straight
Can still tow good weight if i need to

Dislikes (some unique to the 4x4 conversion):
Incessant unsolicited candy van creeper feedback / dirty looks from parents :rolleyes:
4x4 TTB front end bump steer (2wd is similar), can feel like a bit of barge
~13-14 mpg, tops, at 105kmph, but hey for what it is, its acceptable to me, hammer down at 120 ~10mpg
For the 4x4 transfer case, they cut down the fuel tank from 138l to about 100, so my range is ~500km before I get nervous
If i haven't driven it in a while the cabover/forward position had me clipping curbs (this has diminished)
Old ford van problems (rust, wear n tear items, but for 293K and how many idling hours its actually held up really well)
Roofline is a bit low, have to compress forks especially with handguard deflectors
Gets a bit snug/messy, unorganized, with 2 bikes and gear/spares, have to figure out a better system than the eBay chocks and add some storage cubbies, that will help
Any top and bottom engine work is a pain in the wee-wee (plugs etc), but the front dress, trans are all quite accessible, front shock top nuts are a real bear, lots of tourettes
Dirty bikes drop snow, mud inside, hard to keep decently clean, moisture issues
Bike fuel stink/fumes, fuel jugs inside
Cargo regular body van seats driver and one with bikes, maybe a jump seat but its tight
Not sure of the crash test rating, but I'd expect its marginal
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_1035.jpg
Would I do it again? Yup, I'd look for the extended body, gas v8 or v10, e350 - the extra 18" inside would allow a crew seat/bed.
You know to avoid the Furd 6.0 diesel at all costs, right?

Maybe the GM and Sprinter guys will chime in. Theres a long moto-van thread on Thumpertalk with tons of ideas.
You can come see mine and drive it if you like.

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

I'm on my second Sprinter. 2005, 2.7 I-5 turbo diesel 5 speed, 140" wheelbase, tall roof.

Pros:
6'1" roof height in the back, perfect for standing in to get geared up. Tons of room for 2 bikes and gear. Room in the back for a double mattress and a bike. Can get a single mattress sideways in front of 2 bikes if needed. Tight turning radius for its size. Peppy motor, not a powerhouse but pretty good. 100L tank, over 900km per tank, city or highway, seems to make no difference. Surprisingly easy to do motor work on for a van. 2006 was last year without DPF and a few other emissions things.

Cons:
Hard to find them without rust (or miled out) for a good price. Absolutely, the worst vehicle I have ever owned for ice, snow or mud. No posi or locker available for the rear diff and the traction control is brutal. 4x4 versions available from 2014 up, crazy expensive though. Any parts from Mercedes are stupidly expensive. Generic parts are reasonable though.

Unsure about towing yet but headed to Moab on Saturday dragging a 5x10' enclosed with 2 bikes in the van and 2 in the trailer. Expecting 750km to a tank...we will see.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

NineOh, do you stow two bikes diagonally?

Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Wangchung »

Both of these units are sweet, I like the 4x4 conversion (4x4 and price) and the hight of the sprinter.
Anyone look at a Nissan NV2500?

NineOh
User
User

Post by NineOh »

malcolmzilla wrote:NineOh, do you stow two bikes diagonally?
The YZ is in there diagonally so I have room for a double mattress in front of it. If I have 2 bikes in there, they go in straight.