Early season bike trip ideas?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Early season bike trip ideas?

Post by SteveOg »

I'm planning on heading out for the last two weeks of March and want to be in N. Washington for the Desert 100 by April 5. I'm asking for suggestions on where to go for 2-3 weeks to get some good, early season riding in. I know Moab is an option although I haven't been that early in the year before. Any other suggestions on where to go that time of the year?

As of now, I'm going on my own as I don't know anyone else who can go or wants to take the time off. If someone is interested, let me know. I'm an intermediate rider and want the trip to be about riding. I plan to camp and do it fairly cheap. I'd like to find some dunes and do a couple days on a paddle tire (Maybe St. Anthony?) or I'd consider Oregon.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Re: Early season bike trip ideas?

Post by SteveOg »

Nobody has any suggestions? :thinking:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Moab and green river/San Rafael are ok in april, also lower elevation Colorado routes are passable. Baja Mexico is also doable but getting warm. Never tried Arizona or Nevada or California but options there as well.

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

Not sure where to ride, but March 23 is supercross in Seattle.

AM407
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AM407 »

The weather in Moab is usually fine the last two weeks of March. We go down every year at that time, and it's usually mid teens to low twenties - perfect riding weather. Also went to St. George once in mid March and it was great. I believe it's generally a few degrees warmer there than in Moab.

No idea if you absolutely need to go that far south that time of year, though. Maybe there's good riding closer to home, but it generally seems pretty cold on the drive down through Montana and Idaho that time of year.

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

I think Moab and surrounding area is probably the spot I'll head for, and about as far as I'd like to drive. I've been to Moab a few times but always on a mountain bike or climbing so I'm excited to test it out with a motor. Is there anywhere near there where you could find some dunes and get out on a paddle tire?

I was hoping to hit the Seattle Supercross but it's a bit early during my time off to be out that way so I doubt I'll catch it this year.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

Murray1962
User
User

Post by Murray1962 »

We have been down the last week of March and THat year the weather was great. I’d be interested in going down this year probably only for one week likely the last week in March. I am also an intermediate rider and wanna make it about the riding. . I only joined the club last year so I am you do to the forum and not sure if exactly the best ways to communicate. What’s the best way for you and I to get in touch.