Anyone tried prescription goggle inserts?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Anyone tried prescription goggle inserts?

Post by cerealkiller »

Just curious if anyone has tried a prescription goggle insert. Can't seem to find a lot of info online.

I use contacts now, which work pretty good. I've had them dry out and pop out of my eye, but it's a rare occurrence. Just contemplating having a backup option - or a goggle I can just throw on when I'm in a rush to ride after work rather than fiddling with contacts.

Looks like there are three different options:
  • - Haber vision: insert only (muti-fit for most goggles). $25, buy lenses separately
    - RX Goggles: Multiple insert models specific to different goggle brands (some cross compatibility). $129 with lenses
    - Pro Vue: Complete goggle with custom fit insert. 100% brand only. $209.
All of these prices are in USD.

Haber Vision

Haber Vision is nice and cheap. Since you buy the lenses separately, you could pay extra for fancy lenses and coatings if desired (i.e. ultra thin, anti-fog, anti-glare, anti-scratch...). They are adjustable, so you should be able to pop them into any goggle.

RX Goggles

Same idea as Haber, but no adjustable-post. A few different models to fit to specific brands of goggles. Maybe it would be the best since there's no adjustment to mess up? The shape of the lens insert also looks bigger than Habervision... More expensive, but since the lenses are included it probably works out close to the same.

Pro Vue

Pro Vue looks nice in the sense that the insert fills the whole lense area. The prescription part is still glasses-shaped, but the insert should be more rigid, probably less chance of scratching. Maybe fogging too, since it would essentially become a double lens. It's a complete goggle, but they only sell it based on the 100% brand goggle. Those aren't bad, but not my favorite either.

I'm leaning towards the insert-style since I both like the fit of EKS goggles and get a deal them too. No reason to switch brands if I don't have to.

...better factor in the cost of a mirrored lens too, since none of these are going to make you look cool. :smirk:
RX Goggles

Pro vue
-Jared
#44b

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Anyone tried prescription goggle inserts?

Post by Ynot303 »

I have pair of the RX... They work decent at the track, but I didn't love them off road as fogging was a problem. I imagine this would apply to all of the above products. It's a nice concept, but at least with glasses you can quickly take off your goggles and get through the knarly section. (I use the Quick Strap system)

If you were to use them I would do as I do when wearing glasses.... Remove a bunch of foam so you can get airflow quickly and easily!

I have an irregular astigmatism in each eye and up until very recently have not been able to wear contacts... they are pretty hard to beat.

:cheers:
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I wondered about that. I was thinking of buying one of these at the same time to help: http://www.habervision.com/Haber-Elimin ... p_138.html

Also, I think I would stick with contacts for trail rides. Be weird to remove my goggles when I stop for a break and go blind.
-Jared
#44b

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Jared,

I have the powered humidistat fan thingie, the same one, but branded by 509.

It some goggles it works well, old set of 509's, Scotts, others it does not sense the humidity and leads to fog (new 509, 100%). As well it blocks the airflow out the top of the goggle so you become completely dependent on it working to exchange the humid air out. It also cuts into the goggle interior real estate so it might not fit with the prescription inserts.

This winter, I have gone back to a dual layer lens for winter, remembering to remove them when stopped or getting overly sweaty before the humidty can build and freeze.

You are welcome to borrow it and try it out.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Nice. Thanks Malcolm. If I go the insert route you might be hearing from me. :thumbsup:
-Jared
#44b

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I bought this over 20 years ago, and haven’t had any problems since. Best money I’ve ever spent.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------