Anyone heading to Montana Soon?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Anyone heading to Montana Soon?

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Anyone heading to Montana in the new year?
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Anyone heading to Montana Soon?

Post by giantjoe »

I'm about 1/2 hour away from www.AddressUSA.ca I go there once or twice a month.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

scubarusteve
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by scubarusteve »

That site seems pretty awesome, Not to thread jack, any issues at the boarder ever? you just tell them your picking up your mail? lol Thanks.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Remember your passport! This border crossing g is very small. It is pretty efficient.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

And have receipts with you. Claim it all as 5% is nothing versus trying to get something across not claimed. Even 1000 bucks of stuff is only 50 bucks claiming.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

For border shopping runs via e-commerce, I usually have a itemized spreadsheet with USA and CDN values, including shipping, and copies of all the invoices, printed up and organized in a inter-office mail envelope. Appearing that anal, usually the Cdn border agents just glance at the total and motion me in to pay GST on it, I have yet to get the root through yard sale crossing back for *shopping* trips. :D
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

Hey guys just curious as I see these posts often.

For all I know you guys are buying computer parts but as this is a motorcycle forum I would assume you are talking bike parts?

I know I'm putting my neck out there but I really do care to find out why so much effort is made by some people not to buy locally. I am only to assume two things, one being it is not available and second price. We try at Blackfoot Direct to stocks lots of the parts that are difficult to source as we try to be on the pulse as to what parts are good and worth buying not just on what is available from Canadian suppliers.

I would assume if you are shopping on price you are at least giving the local dealers that support the clubs, races and local riders a chance to match (or come within 10%) to gain your business.

We always encourage our customers to before submitting their online "basket" to give us a chance to gain the business.

Like I said I am interested in a few examples and if it can be posted on here that would be great as I do have this conversation on a regular basis and when I have a chance to explain the difference or match price I am able to gain the business and the customer can get the stuff right away. 90% of the time we can match / justify the price and keep the business here local.

Looking forward to your comments.

Thx,
Dean
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Hey Dean,

I don't think you could have helped me. I was receiving samples of fancy fabrics for a wedding dress my wife is designing and making. But, I'll run it by you next time for sure! ;-)
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Dean, 99% of my boarder pick ups are bicycle parts. The bicycle industry is such a joke up here its stupid. A few examples.
Yeti SB5c frame/shock only. CAD = $6500, US= $3400.
S-Works carbon cranks. CAD = $850, US $300.
DY Swiss 150mm carbon forks. CAD = $2400, US = $1040.
High end Schwalbe tires. CAD = $140, US $80.
And on and on and on. :crazy:

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Dean,

I suspect currently most (not all) of the things people are getting from the US are not dirt bike related. With the exchange rate around $0.80 CDN/US most things are either cheaper or effectively the same price in Canada. As I now live in the US but fairly frequent free delivery from Canada (thanks friends), I continually pay attention to what things cost in Canada vs US and often things are cheaper in Canada. Of particular note, bikes are substantially cheaper in Canada. Example:
2018 FX450 MSRP in Canada = $11,600
2018 FX450 MSRP in US = $10,400 or $13,000 CDN at $0.80
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

KTMpilot
Writer
Writer

Post by KTMpilot »

Hi Dean, I hope I can provide some clarity by describing my personal shopping habits with regards to bike parts/ apparel. I often use MSO to get parts delivered that I have purchased in the USA, additionally I make purchases locally when I find prices to be reasonable at local vendors.
Like it or not, we live in an E-commerce society in 2018 and the default search criteria when shopping always defaults to "lowest price" and that is almost always the option that everyone selects. It has become way too easy to "shop it around" globally to ascertain the best price so thats what most people do. One cannot argue the value of having a local bike shop that stocks the parts needed that can be procured on short notice also. I understand that from a retail perspective it is nearly impossible to compete with a large warehouse style online store that offers free shipping and free postage paid returns, just compare the success of Amazon and Wayfair to something like Sear's Canada for an example.
"Matching prices" is not always an effective concession to capture a consumer's business. A savvy consumer will more often patronize a business where they have confidence that they will find a fair price on a consistent basis. Nobody feels good when they find out that they substantially overpaid for an item locally, only to find out that their buddy got one shipped free from England for almost half the price.
I don't like the way the world has gone with respect to online shopping and all that it entails, nor do I like our current government which annually reduces my net income thus, discretionary spending budget, which is where my dirt biking fund is derived from. I still enjoy the tactile experience of going to the store, looking at new products, smelling the plastic, and making new purchases. I also appreciate the efforts that local shops make to support racing, demo days, annual sale days for club members, etc, and there has to be some intrinsic value placed on that service.
Many people do not have a choice (financially) to pay any more than the lowest price they can find. Retailer stores like your own unfortunately are becoming "fitting rooms" for online vendors.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

My USA purchases are generally items I cannot get here, and are infrequent: I try to give the local vendors 1st crack at supplying.
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

We will continue to do the best we can to stock product you all need and the best prices we can while trying maintaining a fair profit.
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

bfdirect wrote:Hey guys just curious as I see these posts often.

For all I know you guys are buying computer parts but as this is a motorcycle forum I would assume you are talking bike parts?

I know I'm putting my neck out there but I really do care to find out why so much effort is made by some people not to buy locally. I am only to assume two things, one being it is not available and second price. We try at Blackfoot Direct to stocks lots of the parts that are difficult to source as we try to be on the pulse as to what parts are good and worth buying not just on what is available from Canadian suppliers.

Thx,
Dean

If you are looking for further feedback, being that eCommerce is widely popular, when I click on BFdirects parts section and try and select OEM parts for my '17 Husqy, I cannot do so as it only goes up to 2016. Just as your time is valuable, so is mine and as a potential customer I will shop where the transactions are easier accomplished.

Secondly, Power Parts...I have been into the store in the last month and a half and looked for a few products, and inquired about some others and the staff hasn't been overly familiar with the PowerParts offered by Ktm/Hus. As an example, I was looking for a lower seat and you have some amazing low seat options sitting on the shelf but $200+ for a lower seat vs the power parts version which is cheaper was a lost sale in my opinion. I understand wanting to up sell for quality products, but it wasn't what I was looking for and after picking up a power parts catalog elsewhere found what I wanted and I didn't have to go out of my way either.

I love supporting local and feel the best service is provided when doing so. In the last four years I have purchased two new snowmobiles, from different dealers as they are different brands, another one used one which I service/purchase parts from locally and a new bike purchased locally. That is over $40,000 in powersports not including any parts, any service, and general maintenance items. I take into account where I spend my dollar very carefully and not only look for the best price but the best service. I have never asked for a discount or complained about pricing when I make an order anywhere but I do order online from time to time as products are either not stocked locally or the price listed is noticeably cheaper online. That being said, I have been into your store with a family member visiting from out of town when Sherco was a little more popular and he was having issues and the staff was helpful in pointing him in the right direction.

bfdirect
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bfdirect »

Thanks for the feedback Takethebounce I really do appreciate it!

We do stock and sell the low Husky Powerparts Seat you had mentioned not sure why you were told otherwise? I’m sorry to hear that.
9B768376-D97E-4B1D-9509-90F00F9700FD.png
In fact we have almost all those parts online and actually they are our top selling online orders (Husky Power Parts). We actually are Husqvarna’s top OEM/Hard Parts Dealer in Canada by almost double the next level dealer’s purchase level. We take pride in the fact that we stock Parts and not a “we can get that dealer”. It comes at some expense(ending up with obsolete parts) but at the same time we are able to get the word out that “if you need a part Blackfoot Direct will likely have it”.

As for the lack of update on our online fiche for OEM parts you are absolutely correct!!!! As we are restricted to a 3rd party software licence they are very slow in converting pricing and therefore updates to Canadian vendors. This has been something I have been complaining about for exact reasons. I just actually sent another email because of you comments so thanks for that.

Once again I really do appreciate your (and all customers) feedback as at the end of the day we can only do a better job if we hear and listen to our customers!
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com