Chain Saw recommendations?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Chain Saw recommendations?

Post by giantjoe »

As you all know, I'm incredibly cheap/poor and since I'm building an EX track I need a saw. Are electric ones any good? Should I just buy a cheap Poulin? Should I pony up and buy a Stihl/Husky? I am here for your input.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Chain Saw recommendations?

Post by Dobi »

Stihl MS170 can be had on sale for around $200. They are a great saw. I have had mine for 5 years and countless tanks of fuel and never had an issue.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Echo 360T has been great for me carrying it on the bike and cutting some pretty big lumber.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i love my Poulin Pro i bought at XS Cargo. Every year, it fires up with the old gas after sitting in a cold garage.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Dobi wrote:Stihl MS170 can be had on sale for around $200. They are a great saw. I have had mine for 5 years and countless tanks of fuel and never had an issue.
+1

There is no substitute for quality. There are bigger saws, but the time you spend building it is a labour of love, so keep the chain sharp and enjoy every minute.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

Ms 170s are great saws sometimes at the end of the season they have a promotion called the wood pro kit comes with handy carrying case some Extra oil and a hat

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Poulins and echo are throw away saws. They work great, but you may struggle to find parts. Get a consumer grade sthil or husky, maybe you pay a few more dollars upfront but atleast there are parts readly available. The key is a properly sharpened chain, it will reduced wear on you and extend the life of any saw.

I don't like top handle saws, you have finer control with a back handle saw for mitre cuts and notching logs and they are safer to use all round.

Never owned a elec saw but I can only imagne they are useless and decent batteries always cost mucho coin for high amperage\low weight applications.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

axel99 wrote:Poulins and echo are throw away saws. They work great, but you may struggle to find parts. Get a consumer grade sthil or husky, maybe you pay a few more dollars upfront but atleast there are parts readly available. The key is a properly sharpened chain, it will reduced wear on you and extend the life of any saw.

I don't like top handle saws, you have finer control with a back handle saw for mitre cuts and notching logs and they are safer to use all round.

Never owned a elec saw but I can only imagne they are useless and decent batteries always cost mucho coin for high amperage\low weight applications.
First time I've ever heard of an Echo called a throw away saw that you can't get parts for. I also have a slightly different opinion on handle configuration. For finer work I find the top handle saws have better balance. It appears personal preference matters.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

350scott wrote:
axel99 wrote:Poulins and echo are throw away saws. They work great, but you may struggle to find parts. Get a consumer grade sthil or husky, maybe you pay a few more dollars upfront but atleast there are parts readly available. The key is a properly sharpened chain, it will reduced wear on you and extend the life of any saw.

First time I've ever heard of an Echo called a throw away saw that you can't get parts for. I also have a slightly different opinion on handle configuration. For finer work I find the top handle saws have better balance. It appears personal preference matters.
I consider the the cheaper sthil and huskies throw away saws also, I would probably not spend dollars on parts and labour to do a rebuild on a used sthil that cost $250 new, the economics just dont make sense, therefore they are considered throw away saws. If you are the proud owner of a poulin or echo please dont take offense they are fine casual use saws just harder to find stocked parts locally. I didnt say you could not get parts.

Top handle saws are much less safe, they are built specifically for arbourists and exprienced users to be light and compact. Operating a saw with one hand means the kickback safety brake is basically not functional and I suppose the configuration to still quite comfortable for those Texan expats that have girly hands :D

I just believe there is better value, safety and versitility in a back handle saw if you are a casual user and only going to own one saw.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

My Echo is over 10 years old. I've broken some parts on it from crashing with it and replaced others from wear. The parts have been there for me and I don't feel that I need to replace it anytime soon. The biggest thing for me is having a carrier for the bike that fits the saw.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Dear Axel99. I will agree to disagree. But then I'm not a hillbilly, I'm not just an ordinary redneck.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Lethbridge Honda had the MS170 on for $199. No brainer.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Good choice Joe.

Over the decades I have had many saws including Stihl, Echo, Poulin, Husky, Homelite, McCormick and Jonsered just to name a few. In my opinion a good saw is all in the maintenace. Abuse it and a $1200 saw can become a paperweight just as fast as a $99 saw can.

Learn to properly sharpen the chain, adjust the carb, regularly clean the air filter, adjust the bar oil feed properly, replace bars and sprockets before they are worn out and store them without gas and you will have a good saw for many years. If you don't it will be a throw away.

Electric saws are not worth having if you plan to cut for more 5 minutes in your lifetime. Just my opinion. They can also be a very dangerous and tempting toy for kids to play with when adults aren't looking.

I currently have a 20+ year old McCormick (similar size to the Stihl ms170) for trail work and a Husky for heavy cutting but wouldn't hesitate to buy just about any saw appropriately sized to the task it was needed for. The exception being store brands like Craftsman, Mastercraft etc since you never know who the real manufacturer was. Parts for those can be hard to nail down.

Enjoy the new saw Joe, take care of it and it will last you a very long time. :thumbsup:
The voices are back. Awesome!

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

350scott wrote:Dear Axel99. I will agree to disagree. But then I'm not a hillbilly, I'm not just an ordinary redneck.
About the girly hands :D You are to polite to be redneck! I know youre a closet hillbilly :lol: