Strava?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Strava?

Post by erniebearskin »

Why isn't this a thing in the dirtbike world. Its very popular in mountain biking, uses your phone to track your rides. You can segment trails and compare times to yourself or other users, download maps etc.

Most people I mnt bike with are on it and use it frequently, kinda fun time waster.

https://www.strava.com/features

Just curious ....... :thinking:
Bikeless....

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Strava?

Post by dirtyboy »

Personally, I don't like a social media type app sharing where I ride and turning it into big data. :D Also, without other single-track mind folks with motors on it, it's not very fun.

Thoughts?

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

I have seen a Pro use one once on a dirt bike. Just racing against his own time I guess. :thumbsup:

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Does it pin point all of my dirt naps? Or does it just log the trail and overall time?
It could actually be quite entertaining...
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Vella-it logs trail time, segment times, overlays your route on a map, can tag pics along the way etc. Like I said its more of a fun time waster but it would take bench racing amongst friends to the next level!

Its also logs best times overall per trail, segment etc for all users etc.

Anyways, was just curious how something so popular in mountain biking, which also involves riding two wheeled contraptions in remote locations of the woods for hours at a time with buddies, could be hardly utilized in off-road.
Bikeless....

Pipster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Pipster »

I know tons of people who use it mountain biking and like it. It's a data miner though. The less data on my travels and preferences for sale on the open web the better in my opinion. I don't even like using my phone's GPS...ever.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I hope we don't see in Dirt Biking around here. It has caused some serious issue's in certain MTB area's with turning the multi use trails into race courses. e.g. you can not slow to a crawl to pass a horse or Hiker, you have to race by them at race pace, as well as running other MTBers off the trail - seen that happen way to many times. Also braiding and course/trail cutting has become a big problem. Some sustainable hill sides with climbing turns get obliterated :thumbsdown:
When I MTB I I completely disconnect and don't ride with any devises.
I do get the whole Strava thing though Bryan, I just wish it was limited to bike parks and closed course trails.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Thanks Bryan. Seems like a pretty cool concept. I also understand where trailguy is coming from.
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop