SNOWbike...how do you know?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

SNOWbike...how do you know?

Post by Spinalguy »

Hey all,
if someone bought a brand new bike to use as a snowbike and then was selling it as a dirt bike...

what things should be looked at to verify it NEVER was a snowbike?

Thanks!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: SNOWbike...how do you know?

Post by Spinalguy »

so with so many snowbikers on this site, no one has anything to contribute?
ha
does any of the mounting areas front or rear have tell tale signs?
do the forks see bushwhacking signs like a dirtbike or are they pretty much 'mark' free?

it would suck for someone to buy a 'new' used bike that has been stated as never been a snow bike and it really was...
there has to be some insights from you guys on this forum.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I'd check their Facebook page, for a start.

I've seen a few low hour bikes, but I'd imagine it rare to have one that hasn't been ridden at all? I'd look at the bolts for wrench marks and marring, particularly on the rear linkage attachment. Wear on plastics, but a chain, sprockets and wheels that look new?

I'm sure you could tell if you went all csi on it :)

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

It would be relatively difficult to know for certain.

But honestly, in my opinion, the fact a bike was used as a snowbike shouldn't really scare anyone away. Unless it had a turbo. Although snowbikes run high rpm, about the only extra "wear" factor they experience is thermal shocking from a hot engine being subjected to snow spray. Most snowbikers these days cover the engine (I use crazy carpet) and use thermostats to prevent this. On the other hand snowbikes don't experience the engine shock loading that dirt bike use subjects them to. I.E. Bike in the air and RPM spike followed by a sudden drop in RPM when the tire contacts the ground. This is hard on rotating components. In addition, dirt bikes operate in dirty enviro where by and large snowbikes operate in a clean environment.

Long story short, for me it's more important how well the bike has been maintained. I.E. I'd happily buy one of Kailub Russell's bikes, because even though I know it's been ridden really hard I also know it's been maintained.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks.
This is posted for a friend looking at a bike that has original tires and looks mint at a low price.
FB is a good idea, but never got last name yet.

How would you know if it ran a Turbo? And do you think a low hour bike that is run at full rpm is a better choice than a dirtbike with same hours?

Thanks again.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

In my experience a lot of guys riding snow bikes are not banging them off the limiter. Real decent riders are, but they are doing that on dirt as well.

With the gear reduction of the track kits there isn't a lot of load on them. If it was just running a track kit there won't be a lot of tell tale signs. The front wheel and brake come off, the rear swing arm comes off. Some of the older kits you took the foot pegs off and bolted a strut to the foot peg area and had its own pegs.

Some guys will wire up hand warmers, lights if it wasn't a XC style bike, larger snow deflection on the motor/skid plate area and control area.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

takethebounce wrote:In my experience a lot of guys riding snow bikes are not banging them off the limiter. Real decent riders are, but they are doing that on dirt as well.

With the gear reduction of the track kits there isn't a lot of load on them. If it was just running a track kit there won't be a lot of tell tale signs. The front wheel and brake come off, the rear swing arm comes off. Some of the older kits you took the foot pegs off and bolted a strut to the foot peg area and had its own pegs.

Some guys will wire up hand warmers, lights if it wasn't a XC style bike, larger snow deflection on the motor/skid plate area and control area.
Thanks, good to know.

He passed on the bike because the seller became very sketchy and shady.