Tailgate Theft

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Tailgate Theft

Post by Brass »

Did you know that someone out there is looking for the exact same tailgate that you have on your truck and he can take yours off in under 30 seconds!! He’s out there just waiting for you to turn your back.

You’re wondering, why would anyone want to steal a tailgate? Well, as I found out today, a new tailgate with a built in step and backup camera can be several thousand dollars to replace from a dealer. That cheap scum bag would rather take yours than be a responsible person, get a job, contribute to society and pay for the one he needs.

“But I lock my tailgate all the time, they can’t take it off when it’s locked”. Sorry to say that the lock in that tailgate is set in a plastic housing. Mine was locked, and it's gone! Apparently, it actually takes less time to break the lock that it does for you to unlock it with the key! Yes the lock will help prevent a theft, but if that douche nozzle wants it, he'll bust the lock and the tailgate is going to disappear off your truck, just like mine did!
So what can you do?

A few things.
You could sit out with a rifle and shoot every scum bag that comes by. Bring lots of ammo. You’ll be at it for a while!
But if you can’t stomach that or if you can’t find someone you trust to backup your alibi try this;

1) Use that factory tailgate lock. It is cheap and already installed. It will deter some of the A**holes out there.

2) Get a stainless steel hose clamp and loop it over the hinge like in the picture. Add some permanent Loctite Threadlocker adhesive to the barrel of the clamp so that the well prepare thief with a flat blade screwdriver still can’t take it off. Total cost about $1.20.
hoseclamp.jpg
There are also tailgate locks that can be purchased and installed for $20 - $30.

3) Back in to your parking space. Thieves are lazy, that’s why they are thieves, if they are going to steal it, make them work for it! Place your truck so that it is against a wall and they can’t open the tailgate or if they still can, they have to carry it to get away.

4) If you have an alarm in your truck, go to your favorite installer and ask if they can tie in a pin switch between the body and the tailgate so that it sets off the alarm (when armed) if the tailgate is opened. Your alarm may or may not be able to bypass the switch if you need to park your truck with the tailgate down, talk to your installer about your options and your specific alarm.

5) Park your truck in your garage.

It's too late for me but I hope this helps you keep your stuff.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Tailgate Theft

Post by Dobi »

that sucks Brass. I do like the option of just shooting first and asking questions later, but it does lack practicality....

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

That's my first "go to" response but Anne says we can't afford all the ammo we would need. I think we just need to adjust the budget.

Seriously though, lock up your stuff. The tailgate was lifted off the truck in my driverway. I did have it locked but that wasn't enough. Normally i have the truck in the garage but was working on a few bikes and needed the room in there. Now I have to deal with insurance, deductibles, increased premiums, and getting my truck back to 100% assembled status.

Not to mention, my wife doesn't feel we are secure in our neighborhood. That is the diggest reason for wanting to adjust the budget.

A few extra precautions could have prevented all this stuff.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

That sucks. Keep an eye out on Kijiji and go for a walk around your neighborhood you would be surprised how far a tailgate can walk. Sometimes there are new "take off" tailgates that dealers and places that install flat decks have on the shelf. Would not hurt to poke around a bit call a few wreckers they can usually find one that is insurance quality it might not be super cheaper but it's better than the over the parts counter punishment the dealer is going to try and give you.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I'll be watchin.

If anyone spots or hears of a ruby red ford superduty tailgate for sale with backup camera and built in step. Call me.

Mine had a small 1 1/4 inch scratch on the inside drivers side just below the plastic guard were my bike ramp rubbed against the paint. The lower inside torx bolts also have a distinct polish over half the head from a piece of plywood i keep in the box.

I would be very interested in discussing things with the person selling or in possession of it.

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

Theft always suck.
Last winter, someone stole my furnace from my travel trailer at the storage lot.
$1500 it cost me to replace it, with me installing it.
I also figured out some fail safes when i re-installed it to keep the new one from being ripped off again.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Some one tried to steal my beat up 2003 truck, twice!!, may not be lucky the third time. Now I push a button and the truck is disabled, activate a secret hall effect switch and the truck will start normally. Not theft proof but its going to take at least 15min to figure out how to bypass my disabler. For sure, its all about making theft inconvenient and hoping they just move on.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune
#Z3B

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

This sucks Brass, good advice with the hose clamp. My tailgate is bashed and scratched so I probably don't need to worry too much, but it could still happen. Seems the scumbags are stealing anything and everything these days.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i hate thieves.
i remember tailgate thefts were numerous a few years ago in Calgary. i went and bought a tailgate lock that goes where you put that clamp.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Spinalguy wrote:i hate thieves.
i remember tailgate thefts were numerous a few years ago in Calgary. i went and bought a tailgate lock that goes where you put that clamp.

Then they stole the truck it was attached to? :D :crazy:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

AJRJ wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i hate thieves.

Then they stole the truck it was attached to? :D :crazy:
:lol: they did!
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com