Theft prevention?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Theft prevention?

Post by SteveOg »

After a rough Thanksgiving losing three bikes (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12729) I'm replacing my dirt bike and want to make sure I never lose another one. Aside from the obvious like keeping my garage door closed :blush: , and keeping them locked down at all times, what else can be one to keep them safe?

Feedback on disc locks/alarms? Which one and where to get it?

Anyone found a way to GPS track their bike? I asked this in April and had the Tile and Spot Trace suggested. I'm considering Spot trace if I can get some positive feedback on it. I can't think of a worse feeling than losing my bikes again so I think the yearly fee may be worth it, if it's the best option.

Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks! ...Steve

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Theft prevention?

Post by Braap791 »

Biggest chain and biggest lock you can find. Reinforce your garage man door to make booting it in a chore. I have heard of people taking their tires off because it makes them harder to roll. Those disc locks would work well that being said I have never used one myself.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

If you're looking for a chain, although a big one may scare off the odd thief, you really want to get a properly hardened chain. Normal chains are easily cut (silently) by good bolt cutters. Pewag makes probably the best chain out there. It can't be cut by bolt cutters and is going to take several minutes and a lot of noise with a grinder. Only problem is, it ain't cheap (think $20+/ft). You also, obviously need a good lock with a properly shield shackle, and those ain't cheap either.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far. I'll definitely be upgrading from a cable lock to a good quality chain and lock.

Any feedback on Spot? Nobody uses a disc lock/alarm?

Thanks again!

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Spot trace and other similar recovery devices are a joke and waste of money. They dont work in trailers or garages and take some time once triggered to get a GPS location and then a SAT signal. Harden up access to your garage and lock down the bikes.
#Z3B

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that, or even if it would work outside if the unit was mounted under the seat.

I'll be setting up the garage much more securely for sure.

Disc alarm feedback anyone? I'm thinking of grabbing a couple today.

Thanks again!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I am a big proponent of taking wheels off. I have been lazy lately so just pull the axle out and hide it elsewhere in the garage. As soon as you drop the bike off the stand it is clear that its not going to roll.

I do use locks and a cable on the bikes too, but I make sure that the lock is a hardened one like a Kryptonite style disc lock and actually lock it to the disc or sprocket. Don't use the lock to connect the two hoops of the cable together. It kind of defeats the purpose...

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Anchor points installed into the concrete garage floor are also a good was to harden the parking area. :thumbsup:

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Other things to think about are preventing people from knowing there are bikes in your garage in the first place. Like keeping the garage door closed as much as possible, throwing an old blanket over your bike to keep it out of sight, not leaving your bikes in the back of the truck parked in the driveway, washing your bike in the backyard vs. the front yard, taking the KTM stickers off your truck, etc. Prevent yourself from becoming a target.

porschev
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by porschev »

Exactly Cedric!
Saw this one today, Install the Ring/camera door bell inside the garage!

Shoot!
Shovel!
And Shut-up

Oh god I almost forgot a liberal sprinkling of Sodium Hydroxide or in a pinch Potassium Hydroxide!

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Carry replacement cost insurance and inform your insurance provider of any upgrades to the bike so you have true replacement coverage. Theft coverage isn't that expensive.

Remove garage door opener remotes from any cars that are parked outside. If it's outside, it doesn't need a remote!

Add a "SureLock Automated Garage Door Lock" or similar. http://www.surelock4homes.com/

Consider a garage door monitor so you can check that the door is closed from your bedroom at night. Chamberlain has this one that is compatible with many of their door openers. https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/ac ... odel-829lm

And/or a system that allows you to check the status of your garage door from your phone, because we have all had that feeling of panic when we were 20 minutes away from home and asked ourselves "did I close the garage door?"

Lock your stuff up like others have said and finally, there are the 3 S's that Porschev mentioned.
The voices are back. Awesome!