I got written warning on Sunday.

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

I got written warning on Sunday.

Post by Xcfjohn »

So I got my new bike two weeks ago I didn't want to drill holes in it. So I attached my plate to my hydro pack I thought as long as it was visible it was fine. Apparently not it has to be fixed to the bike on the front or rear they said not even the side.

gorillam
User
User

Re: I got written waring on Sunday.

Post by gorillam »

Just an update, I got a verbal warning about having the plate on the rear fender, it was not visable enough. I already have holes drilled for it there, I don't really like it up front by the headlight, no room there.

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

Good to see they are worrying about the important stuff :thumbsdown:
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

We all wanted to see an increased enforcement presence in our riding areas to ensure people weren't abusing the trails and causing more to be closed or be poached due to the actions of the A**hats out there.

A few warnings to attach a license plate is nothing to complain about. They are stopping you to show they are there and they are trying to enforce the regulations. What we are not hearing about on here is the quad people getting fines for riding on singletrack trails or "mud bogging" or taking part in other destructive activity, it happens but we don't hear about it on this forum. They are out there, doing their jobs (unlike me at this moment), showing the masses that they are enforcing the regs. And in the case of the warning, being human and letting some of the less "important stuff" slide.

Think about it for a moment, you got a warning then came on here to talk about it. You're sharing your experience that they are out enforcing the laws. You most likely also told your friends and someone at a bike shop, then they told someone and they passed it along to someone else. The word gets out and the bad or poor behaviour in the area starts to decline. It won't happen overnight and they won't catch all the idiots doing what idiots do, but they are out there trying.

I personally don't like the license plate regs and if I get a warning or fine for having the plate mounted on my pipe, I'll take it. Then I will likely come here and cry and moan about it. Sharing the fact that the fish cops are out there doing what they are supposed to be doing.

If you don't agree with the laws, look for ways to change the laws. Not complain about the poor guy standing in the bush getting eaten by bugs making 42k a year gross and trying to keep your trail from being a dumping ground for burned out campers.

Write to your MLA and the Transportation Minister and let them know that the regulations for license plates aren't practical, give them a reason why the laws don't work and offer them a suitable alternative solution like cheaper to produce fork stickers for example. I personally don't mount my plate on the front because the edge could cut into my brake line and when mounted in the rear could (and has) cut my leg when I inevitably get dumped off the back when I loop out. Under current regulations, I am in violation of the law that requires the plate to be mounted on the front or rear so that the license plate is "clearly visible".

I sent my complaint about the license plate regulations to:

Honourable Brian Mason
Transportation Minister and
Infrastructure Minister
Room 320 Legislature Building
10800 - 97 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5K 2B6
transportation.minister@gov.ab.ca

I would suggest others to do the same if you disagree with the regulations but thank the officer standing in the bush for helping to keep the a**hats on 2 and 4 wheels from causing more trail destruction.

Just my .02c
:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: I got written warning on Sunday.

Post by Dobi »

Great explanation Brass :thumbsup:

MichaelF
User
User

Post by MichaelF »

I was out riding at McLean creek two weekends ago and was stopped by the fish and game officers near the paved loop. I had my plate on my pack plus I didn't have my red tail light with me. The officer asked me if I knew I was supposed to have the plate on the bike instead of my pack and also have a red tail light either attached or ready to put on if needed. I was more honest than I should be and said I knew both those things but hadn't got around to either of them and being a Sunday I just wanted to get out and ride. He was totally cool about it , said to just get those things fixed for next time and to enjoy my day riding. No attitude , no tough guy talk , just a quick chat to make sure I was aware of what I needed and to have a safe ride. I have a pretty good headlight set up and was riding responsibly. He mentioned those positives and that was it, on my way.
I've heard some stories about peace officers being dicks and too aggressive but if you look around at the amount of irresponsible riders and people in these areas it's easy to see why their patience runs thin at times.
Be responsible , respectful and don't front with attitude and you'll have no problems most of the time.

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

It wasn't a rant post more like a heads up I have no problem with them I talked to them for a bit. Nice guys just letting people know they are about and have you license plate fixed to the front or back of the bike.

Enroute

Post by Enroute »

Completely agree with Brass, good to see that enforcement is out there. After being asked (very nicely) to move my plate (which was in my spokes), I was told that the plate can be trimmed down so that only the letters and the sticker is visible. Five minutes with the shears trimmed down the plate, then added some rubber trim around the plate to avoid the sharp edges. Mounted that to my number plate. Done.

Thanks for the link, I would suggest we all write to the minister and ask for the stickers as that is by far the best option

orangekoolaid
User
User

Post by orangekoolaid »

Brass wrote: If you don't agree with the laws, look for ways to change the laws. Not complain about the poor guy standing in the bush getting eaten by bugs making 70k a year gross and trying to keep your trail from being a dumping ground for burned out campers.
Fixed that for you.

let's not start playing violin music for them just yet.

https://occinfo.alis.alberta.ca/occinfo ... d=71008064

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

Been stopped and checked a few times this year and the officers were very friendly, pointed out I should have my lights attached, and once I did not have my registration card with me but the sticker was on my plate so they gave me a written warning. I'm very happy to see the level of enforcement and hope it continues.

Btw, I have my plate wrapped on my pipe and there was no mention of it as they were checking my sticker for expiry. I suspect they might come down on you if there is attitude or complete disregard for the regulations but last year, one of the officers mentioned that they are mostly concerned with registration, insurance, and good land stewardship.