provincewide fire ban

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

provincewide fire ban

Post by cerealkiller »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... 73?cmp=rss

Government also 'implores" people to limit use of ATVs and off-road vehicles... Does this seem like a real problem? I haven't seen sparks flying out of anyone's exhaust lately.
-Jared
#44b

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: provincewide fire ban

Post by RJHenry »

cerealkiller wrote:Government also 'implores" people to limit use of ATVs and off-road vehicles... Does this seem like a real problem? I haven't seen sparks flying out of anyone's exhaust lately.
I believe hot spots are a bigger issue - mud and debris on headers can get cooking hot, drop off in dry grass, and smolder. By the time it flares the rider is long gone. Remote possibility but certainly a real risk.

I intend to respect the request and encourage everyone to do the same - both as visible leaders in the off road community and in respect of difficult situation Alberta faces in YMM. There will be other weekends!

My .02
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

I agree...as much as I was looking to get out this weekend. :applause:

Many local fire fighting resources have been allocated to Fort McMurray. So a small fire could get out of control quickly.

Build up some good Karma on Mothers day instead :smirk:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Ok ok. I will succumb to peer pressure. I haven't done any trail riding this year and I was really hoping to get out this weekend. :crybaby:
-Jared
#44b

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Its official, it is now no longer a suggestion, its a province wide ban on OHV use until further notice.

May 06, 2016 Media inquiries
Province restricts off-highway vehicle recreational use

A temporary province wide restriction on off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreational use on public lands and provincial parks is another tool the province will use to help prevent the spread of wildfires.

This action comes in response to the request of the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association and follows the government’s province wide fire ban and ban on incendiary targets on all provincial Crown lands issued May 5.

“Our fire crews are working around the clock to battle wildfires in Fort McMurray and around the province. All Albertans can do their part to help ensure firefighters can focus their resources on the areas of greatest need.”
Oneil Carlier, Minister Agriculture of and Forestry

“We do not take this step lightly; however, we must reduce the potential for more wildfires throughout the province. Quite simply, OHV recreational use under our current conditions has the very real potential to contribute to an already catastrophic wildfire season.”
Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks

“We support the government’s decision to temporarily restrict OHV recreational use. As responsible OHV users in this province we want to do our part to prevent wildfires and to reduce the burden on firefighters and emergency personnel.”
Brent Hodgson, President Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association

The OHV restriction will be in place until further notice. It applies to recreational use on public lands, including designated OHV trails, only. It will not apply to agriculture, public safety or commercial/industrial users who operate OHVs for farming, enforcement or business purposes. The OHV restriction does not apply to the use of an OHV by Indigenous peoples when exercising a right recognized and affirmed under Part II of the Constitution Act, 1982 or a right under section 12 of the Natural Resources Transfer Agreement.

Wildfire management staff, along with enforcement personnel, including Conservation Officers and Fish and Wildlife Officers, will enforce the temporary OHV recreational restriction immediately. OHVs include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), four-wheel vehicles, motorcycles and related two-wheel vehicles and amphibious machines.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Here is the link as well with the above info,

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=4 ... 450C4C721C

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I think it's less about dangerous fire conditions and more about if a fire starts there is currently very few individuals in the provInce to fight it.
Bikeless....

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

erniebearskin wrote:I think it's less about dangerous fire conditions and more about if a fire starts there is currently very few individuals in the provInce to fight it.
I agree, surprised the ban has not extended to random camping.
#Z3B

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

McLean is a large area with very different conditions in different areas. While Fisher South for example may have been damp, Swany's, 1990, Quirk, Priddis, and a few others on Tuesday were very crunchy. On a +35km loop I have never seen them this dry this early. Looking South and West from the top there is very little snow left, less than last year. The Elbow was running extremely low. It didn't leave a great feeling with me as there are other activities in June I look forward to when the mountain creeks open.

Growing up on the East Coast, OHV restrictions once or twice a summer were not uncommon and we almost always had more precip than what AB gets.

May is typically our wetter month and while there is a little precip in the forecast, those 10-15mm showers are not going to do much. Several days of heavier sustained rain is needed.

Looks like it will be a few trips to SE BC where they have at least some cooler temps and rain for now.

gdg530
Writer
Writer

Post by gdg530 »

The concern won't be as big in the summer for us because the green under growth will have come in,it's the dead dry grass that is the worry right now.I know first hand that one of the reasons is indeed that fire crews are stretched thin,B.C can't send any to help with Fort Mac because they have fires of their own to look after.I'm pretty sure we can all give up a few days riding,this is Calgary the cold wet stuff is coming.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

From this ban I gather we are still allowed to go in with trucks? Pondering driving into a spot and walking with chainsaw to do some trail clearing.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Interesting that the PM would refuse additional fire fighters from other countries. I see that Mexico provided fire fighters to Alberta in 2015 but this year the help was refused from them as well as other countries.

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

dirtyboy,

I understood there were already Mexicans there?

http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/2016/0 ... y-wildfire

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Different reporter, different story. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

GWsXR250R
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by GWsXR250R »

Has anyone heard if the OHV ban will be lifted in the near future?

GW