Bike on a Budget

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Bike on a Budget

Post by erniebearskin »

Folks, I have a friend looking to buy a bike, he has about $3,500.00 and is looking for my help.

I've looked at what's on Kijiji and am thinking he would do well with a later YZ250 2T, preferably one that is pre-set up for woods (which there are a few). There is also a couple 4T options that could suite him WR250, CR250X but am reluctant to recommend an older (2006, 07's) 4T.

For YZ'ingers there are a few good options between 2006-2009 model years.

Some of you are more experienced (old) in buying selling bikes. Would love to hear your thoughts.....am I on the right track?

This guy has owned dirt bikes on and off as a kid and is an absolute ripper on mnt bikes, racing downhill etc. I'd suspect after some acclimatizing to riding in the mountains, he will be quite handy on a dirt bike.

Thanks for any help!
Bryan.
Bikeless....

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bike on a Budget

Post by Dobi »

erniebearskin wrote:Folks, I have a friend looking to buy a bike, he has about $3,500.00 and is looking for my help.

I've looked at what's on Kijiji and am thinking he would do well with a later YZ250 2T, preferably one that is pre-set up for woods (which there are a few). There is also a couple 4T options that could suite him WR250, CR250X but am reluctant to recommend an older (2006, 07's) 4T.

For YZ'ingers there are a few good options between 2006-2009 model years.

Some of you are more experienced (old) in buying selling bikes. Would love to hear your thoughts.....am I on the right track?

This guy has owned dirt bikes on and off as a kid and is an absolute ripper on mnt bikes, racing downhill etc. I'd suspect after some acclimatizing to riding in the mountains, he will be quite handy on a dirt bike.

Thanks for any help!
Bryan.
from 2003 and up there hasn't been that much progression in the 2 stroke side of things, other than suspension. You can find some nice 2005 era YZ or XCW bikes for a good price that may have already had bush conversions done. Adding a flywheel weight is all you really need to help the motor and a little bit of suspension work and you should be in business.

On the 4 stroke side, the bikes have come so far that you hears stories of 500hrs on a piston and heads that last seemingly forever. With some due diligence in your bike inspection you should be able to find something low hour that meets your needs for that price range.

Spend as little as possible to get into the game and then ride other peoples set ups to find what you want for your next ride when you are ready to invest more cash. If your fast, your fast. It doesn't really matter what the bike is.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Bike on a Budget

Post by erniebearskin »

OK, Ill check out both 2 and 4 stroke options. :thumbsup:
Bikeless....