Wood Ticks & warm weather

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Wood Ticks & warm weather

Post by Patrick »

Wow, we stopped at Radium Hot Springs, went for a small hike after and had a dozen or so wood ticks on our clothes and in the hair on our heads. Anyone known issues with Lyme disease in the foothills? 1 out of 100 ticks might have it. I always here stories. This warm spring will bring a lot more.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Wood Ticks & warm weather

Post by Bark »

Folks have reported Lyme disease on this forum. Its definitely something to look out for. My understanding is that if its diagnosed early, its much easier to deal with.

My wife is a little neurotic about this with our dog. She has been told to collect the ticks in a plastic bag so that people who know can check the type of tick to understand if its the type that carries Lyme disease. We've haven't come across one yet but it'll happen sooner or later.

Patrick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Patrick »

After more research, there are a lot of big horn sheep around the hot springs of radium. The ticks love big horn sheep and thats why there are so many on us in a 20 minute hike. The big horn sheep frequent the old lodge area & trails across the highway from the hot pool.
Where ever there is a lot of warm blood we'll find ticks.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

good reminder. I found one crawling across my 3 year old kids head last weekend at Mount Kidd, thankfully it hadn't begun digging in. I hadn't seen one before, it kind of freaked me out. I had to google it to confirm...