Bike tracking?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Bike tracking?

Post by SteveOg »

Has anyone tried this https://4tw2.com/path/lp.php?trvid=10150&trvx=6752f2f9, or anything like it? I'd like to be able to track my dirt bike, mountain bike and a few other things and am looking at options. Any feedback on these, or is there a better set-up out there? Thanks.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bike tracking?

Post by cerealkiller »

I have the TrackR and the Tile (almost the same idea). The TrackR doesn't work.

Trying to find the TrackR with my phone, at least three-quarters of the time nothing happens. Even when your phone and the object you're trying to find are near each other. The TrackR is also supposed to notify you when you leave it behind (e.g. walk away from your keys and your phone is supposed to notify you). I tried leaving one behind while heading out one day just to test it. nothing happened. Then at roughly 3am in the morning, while I'm back home and sleeping peacefully, my phone starts freaking out. My keychain and phone couldn't been more than 2ft apart at the time since I put them on the same shelf when I came in the door.

It's a seriously worthless product. My only caveat is that I bought it at least six months ago, so perhaps there's a new version by now.

The Tile works much better. It may take a minute or two to establish a connection, but I can always make it beep no matter how far apart the Tile and my phone are inside my house (or even if I've left it in my car parked outside). It also will show you on a map the last place your tile was tracked, or where it is right now if it makes a connection). That works well if you left something further away than the bluetooth can find.

Because it works on bluetooth however, it's not going to be much help if your bike is stolen (unless you happen to slowly drive by it). There is a background aspect to the app that looks for any tiles, then reports location information back to the tile's owner. So theoretically if enough people have the tile app and keep it turned on, your tile can be found by someone else and that data will be sent back to you. I don't think there are enough tile uses to achieve that with any consistency yet though.

If you want to keep tabs on your stuff in the event it gets stolen, I think the Spot trace might be what you have in mind. But it is much more expensive and requires a monthly subscription.
-Jared
#44b

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Spot trace. i do not have it as it usually is sold out.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

SteveOg
Writer
Writer

Post by SteveOg »

Thanks for the info! I'll have a look at the Spot Trace.