Diesel Vs Big Gasser

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Diesel Vs Big Gasser

Post by malcolmzilla »

As an owner of an 08 3500 dodge 6.7 diesel... I would not recommend a late model diesel that does not use urea injection, so go 12+.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) systems are rife with issues, hard on fuel, coke turbos, and dilute oil/wash the cylinder walls with diesel.
Depending on the mileage you intend to drive it, and the need to do 80 mph with a trailer, the cost of the diesel engine may not make sense.

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Dobi wrote:...now that they have the urea sorted out I don't think I would bother desmogging a truck again.
+1 on clean diesel.

My 2015 Duramax is incredibly clean and efficient, with ample power. The DEF aftertreatment effectively erases all smell of diesel exhasut, the particulate filter eliminates all black smoke, and the regeneration is infrequent and not really intrusive (though one definitely sees the fuel consumption pick up while it is in regen).

Stock HP is 397, Peak torque is 765 lb-ft. Otions to increase power without totally violating the truck include a tuner (chip) and a cold air intake. Both are about $600 and allegedly do not void warranty or emissions.

Hardest part of going to diesel is resisting the urge to stomp the pedal EVERY SINGLE TIME... it goes through rear tires fast if you do!

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I found your new truck

KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

It's all about the boost.

Wait a couple of years for Ecoboost 5.0 V8 and ask this question again. Can't wait for that debate. :cheers:

Ynot303
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Ynot303 »

The 3/4 ton gas engine situation will leave you crying at the pumps. They are absolutely BRUTAL on fuel. Loaded and unloaded. Especially the GM 6.0L.

Have you considered the new Nissan Titan HD? All new from the ground up with a 5.0L Cummins Diesel. It's a 3/4 ton kinda vehicle with a few really cool features such as factory installed gooseneck and/or Fifth Wheel Hitches.

I was peaking around at the Nissan Dealership when I was picking up my wife's Pathfinder.

The Nissan Website states that it has 310hp and 555 ft/lbs of torque and a tow rating of "Over 12,000lbs". Not only that but the Nissan website has some promo stuff with Dirt Bikes in the back, so.... :thumbsup:

Check it out, Sick mileage, sick towing and sick power :D
2024 RMDRA Treasurer - #303

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Ynot303 wrote:Check it out, Sick mileage, sick towing and sick power :D
Sick price too - $70K+ :crazy:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Diesel Vs Big Gasser UPDATE!

Post by Braap791 »

I test drove the big Ram gas and diesel, F350 gas and diesel,Gm big gas and diesel ,The Nissan Titan XD,and Tundra Gas. I was not thrilled with the big gas models at all the horror stories about the fuel guzzling seemed confirmed by everybody. I eliminated the Tundra right away as I did not feel comfortable in it. The price of the Nissan was not worth having a boat pulling diesel I felt the same about the Ram Ecodiesel my natural distaste for the Big Ram could not be shaken so it was cut. At that point I figured I might as well go shop for a Ford or Gm. It had to have no power sliding glass,no sunroof and had to have proper captains chairs. I put my current truck on Kijiji and kept shopping.
I tried my best to wheel and deal. First stop was the Ford dealer. They were willing to take my truck on trade for pretty much nothing and told me that I should sell it on Kijiji.I told them what I wanted and the best price they could come up with on a moderately equipped F250-350 was not as good as I was hoping for. I went into the Gm dealer told them what I wanted I also asked if they would take my truck on trade. They figured they could shop it to the US easily. After "inspection" they came back with the same price I was advertising on Kijiji so was pretty sweet. I convinced them that letting me take a truck for a few days to see if it fits in my garage and to test the true mileage would be great I put over 800km on their demo duramax. They found the truck I wanted and brought it in from a dealer in their group. I ended up with what I felt was a great price on a pretty well equipped truck. In the end it pays to poke around a little bit. Thanks for everybody's input! Big thanks to Jim Skalk at Davis Gm for making it all work out :thumbsup:
Attachments
20160323_182627_resized.JPG

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

that is a sick looking rig. I love the blue of the new GMC's.

See you at kook this weekend?

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Truck envy...

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

GM sucks. Not really...just jealous as I drive around in my rusty clapped out 7.3 Ford. Super nice truck, congats :thumbsup:
#Z3B

Taurkon
User
User

Post by Taurkon »

I was faced with gas vs diesel last year. I tow my trailer with 2 bikes in the box about 6-8X per season, usually trips ranging from 500 - 3000 km both ways. I also haul water though at least once a week in the box with a total weight of ~ 3000 lbs so the 1 tonne was necessary.

In the end, I purchased a platinum F350 6.7 and could not be happier. Unloaded, I get as good as 11.5 l/100 km and towing my TT, bikes, generator, fuel etc (loaded with ~ 1500 lbs in the truck and 10,000 lbs towing), I averaged 19 l/100 km to Kamloops and back. Some good hills in there so I was quite happy with how a new engine performed. If I had to make the decision again, it would be the same choice... diesel.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Bark wrote:Truck envy...
me too :lol:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

calltrex
Writer
Writer

Post by calltrex »

the GM 6.2 with 8speed tranny is 420hp and 460lb torq

its my next new truck in a while

i have 2015 GMC with 5.3 with 6 speed now. great 97% of the time. it just winter when i pull a big sled trailer i could use just a little more power so tranny doesnt gear down. The 6.2 will be perfect for me. Can tow up to 12,000lbs

I had a cummins a few trucks ago. Dont miss it at all..