Bill 6, agricultural land access

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Bill 6, agricultural land access

Post by fryguy »

I thought I'd throw this out to offroaders, considering that the hunting and outdoor forums are blowing up over some perceived consequences of the proposed Bill 6.

What the general fear is that if Bill 6 labels all agricultural land as a 'worksite' then access will be denied/altered from the way it is today. Does this affect offroaders...only in the fact that there seems to be an increased resistance to events being held on forestry lands in the SW corner of the province. If landowners such as the Turner's open their door, to fill the void for absent events, it sounds like they would be unable to do so, given current WCB and OHS rules for access to a work site. I am not saying this is gospel, what I'm saying is that there is serious concern about the bill, and a call to the leg, your mla or an email inquiring how this may roll, might be a good idea.

thanks for reading :cheers:

fry

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Bill 6, agricultural land access

Post by Dobi »

I was curious about all the uproar around this and took the time to read bill 6 on the weekend as well as the acts it references for the amendments. I was still unsure how the implications would effect the average farmer so I asked my 73 yr old father in law who farms and has some cows. His answer was that he is 73 and he didn't care. I looked into the definitions of what an employer and an employee is as well as what a work site is and I must admit I struggle to see where the social media comments are coming from. 50m bans on children from chicken coups, steel toed boots on toddlers in the barn yard, car seats for under 9yr olds in tractors are baffling me.

So I dug a little further and asked my HSE manager at work today and wound up stuck in his office for a length of time listening to his position on this back in the nineties when he did his MBA in Ontario on why Ontario should adopt WCB policies in agricultural and the economic case for the province to do so. The following year Ontario did adopt the policies...

There is a strong case for this and implementation will be the key.

The bottom line is that races will still be able to be held on private agricultural land and underage kids will be able to man the concession stand.

Fry, if you want to talk you have my cell number. I can connect you with some of the most skilled HSE people in the business.

fryguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fryguy »

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'd like to think the rukus is just that, and that the far reaching fears, like access, aren't affected.

The world is a bit upside down, and the NDP's track record regarding industry, seems to be restricting.

I'll give you a shout and you can share your thoughts, I like logic over the 'sky is falling' mentality :D

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I'll chime in here for a moment.

Races are exempt from WCB coverage in Alberta. So even though a race may be held on a farm, the event and those working it, does not fall under what is governed by the WCB act.

Look under schedule A "exempted industries" specifically "racing"

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_325.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Send me a PM if you want to chat about it.
The voices are back. Awesome!