SIde by Side vs Quad

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Grizz69

SIde by Side vs Quad

Post by Grizz69 »

Not sure if my search function is not working, if the way I entered the text is finding nothing or if this question has just not been asked before but I did honestly try before posting this!!!

I am looking to purchase either a new quad or a side by side for use in the Calgary off road areas....mostly McLean Creek. My riding will be a mix of solo as well as riding with my wife and 5 year old son. While I will be more aggressive when riding solo with the guys as I would with the family I am forced to take it easy medically due to a dirt bike injury two years ago that I've just recovered from where I destroyed my right wrist.

Some of my concerns/questions are...

Is there any restrictions on side by sides? I don't want to buy one then find out they are on the verge of being outlawed.

Is there any reason a quad would be better than a side by side and vice versa.

Can a side by side access the same terrain as a quad or are they restricted to "less tight" paths.

I'm sure I will come up with many more questions as time goes on but thanks for the input so far!!

Cheers,
Dean

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: SIde by Side vs Quad

Post by giantjoe »

Heres a link to the ESRD page regarding McLean Creek. http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-publi ... -pluz.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm not sure whether a side by side would be considered a quad or a truck, but I would use my common sense and stick to truck trails with one. I've seen side by sides on single track trails and in a few hundred more meters they were going to be in some serious trouble. McLean isn't great for larger equipment, the ghost is better. There are tons of single track trails being taken over by quads and I assume side by sides are doing the same to quad trails. Every legal trail in McLean SHOULD have a sign at the entrance saying which type of trail its for. Stick to the right trails and nobody is going to get on your case.
Last edited by giantjoe on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

This is a single track dirt bike site. Not very many quadders here (if any). Have you checked out snowandmud.com ? You should try a search or post your question over there.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Grizz69

Post by Grizz69 »

boland wrote:This is a single track dirt bike site. Not very many quadders here (if any). Have you checked out snowandmud.com ? You should try a search or post your question over there.
I did try a search first and did not find anything related to my question, I'll try snow and mud.