Neck pain

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Neck pain

Post by Xcfjohn »

Lately every time I come back from a ride I'm getting neck pain the next day. I don't really know wy any ideas I've had whiplash before could doing longer rides reagavate whiplash?

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Neck pain

Post by giantjoe »

Neck pain, or neck soreness? I find I get soreness because my riding position standing up is not optimal, imagine a gorilla walking, that's what standing up looks like for me. My head is lifted up constantly and so the back of my neck gets tired.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

My two cents is that it might be your helmet. I came back from a ride once and only my neck was sore. I bought a new lighter helmet and voila no more neck pain.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

maybe i can help, pm me with more info.
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Do you wear a neck brace? I find that my Leatt brace causes me some neck strain after a long ride, but I'm willing to live with it for the extra protection. I had some fairly bad whiplash about 7 years ago (I was stopped and got hit from behind at about 40kms/hr), I just sort of realized the other day that my neck doesn't bother me regularly like it used to. How long ago was the car accident?

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

Thank you for some info guys no I don't wear a neck brace. The pain as I call it is actually worse than soreness so I called it pain It feels like whiplash again. I could hardly move my head up and down maybe I should look into get a carbon helmet my car accident was about 2006 got T boned whiplash and tore my lower back muscles.

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

My neck used to get sore from looking foreward underneath the visor. I visited Spinalguy's practice. My neck has been A1 ever since!

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

bikingagain wrote:My two cents is that it might be your helmet. I came back from a ride once and only my neck was sore. I bought a new lighter helmet and voila no more neck pain.
I also found a lighter, good fitting helment, like the Airoh or sumoy makes a real difference. I never noticed a difference with or without a neck brace.
#Z3B

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I too have had good results with spinalguy, mostly due to improved posture. If I keep my shoulders back and down, and keep my head over my body instead of stretched out like a turtle, I have a way better day!

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

a lighter helmet would help, but there is an issue in there that needs resolving. Go see a Chiro to get a discovery of the issue and a program to get you back on track.

that move to 40A needs you on your A game :thumbsup:

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I've also had neck issue's over the years. I would go see Spinalguy, I get a Chiro adjustment once a month whether I need it or not. Like Alex said get an Airoh or Suomy helmet, which ever one fits you better, this made a huge difference for me.
If you run the KTM low seat they are 2x4 hard, I like the lower seat height but almost never run mine anymore as its hard on your back/neck on long rides/races.
If you are a sit down rider try and stand more to relieve the jackhammering on your back/neck.
I use Moto911 pain spray for a bum right wrist but I've found using it on my neck just before a ride really helps as well.
When I'm warming my bike up I do some neck excersizes to get things loosened up.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Bark wrote:My neck used to get sore from looking foreward underneath the visor....
This is my issue as well. I try to put my visor up at it's highest setting and attempt to make my ergos allow for standing straight as possible. These things help a little. I guess you could trim down the visor as well, but I wouldn't do this cause Josh and Kristen are always roostin' me! Damn 2 stroke riders! :smirk:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

Dakota_c69 wrote:
Bark wrote:My neck used to get sore from looking foreward underneath the visor....
This is my issue as well. I try to put my visor up at it's highest setting and attempt to make my ergos allow for standing straight as possible. These things help a little. I guess you could trim down the visor as well, but I wouldn't do this cause Josh and Kristen are always roostin' me! Damn 2 stroke riders! :smirk:
I should clarify that when my issues occurred it was while riding trials with an off-road helmet. Off-road helmets have long visors. Trials helmets have short visors. Like Dakota says, I have my visor up as far as practical. I also agree in a good, light weight, well vented helmet for general comfort.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Dakota_c69 wrote:Josh and Kristen are always roostin' me! Damn 2 stroke riders! :smirk:

:excuse: :blah:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Xcfjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xcfjohn »

So I went to cycleworks after work and those sumoy helmets are like half the weight of mine. So I'm going to start there with a lighter helmet. Would suspension setting cause this could mine be to hard is another question?