Rules on antique plates?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
yamit85
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Rules on antique plates?

Post by yamit85 »

I have a 1985 Yamaha IT200. I went to register the bike so I can ride on crown land, Mclean Creek, etc. I had an idea that I could register the bike on antique plates but the rules are a little vague. They state: "Permits licensing of vehicles at least 25 years old and only operated as a collector’s item in exhibitions, ****club activities****, parades and transportation to and from these activities.". I guess it could be argued that as a member of RMDRA, all riding is a "club activity". The advantage of this is that antique plates are a one-off fee similar to trailer registration.
Anyone ever tried this???

Dave

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Rules on antique plates?

Post by dirtyboy »

I think only the club nights rides, volunteer days, trail scouting, trail maintenance, etc. would count as a club activity. :smirk: :D

Most riding for sure! :nworthy: but explaining it to the officials? :nopity:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

How comfortable are you appearing in court? From browsing the legislation, my initial, non-expert, opinion is that you have a reasonable argument that antique status should apply. But... a peace officer might well decide to write a ticket and let a judge figure it out.

If you want to try it, I'd start by making sure you've read all the legislation. Start by going to: https://www.canlii.org/en/index.html. Click "Alberta" under Browse. Type "antique motor vehicle" in the document text field and then click on the legislation tab. That should bring up seven acts and regulations affecting antique motor vehicles.

Traffic Safety Act Operator Licensing an vehicle control regulation defines an antique motor vehicle in section 1(d):
“antique motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle that is not used as general transportation, is 25 years old or older, is owned as a collector’s item and is driven or operated only in exhibitions, club activities, parades or similar events;

I didn't find any other definitions. I'd say that's relatively vague... vague is good.

You can click the link for each section number to see if there are any cases citing that section of the act or regulation. I didn't find any, but I only spent a couple minutes looking.
-Jared
#44b

yamit85
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by yamit85 »

I agree, the posted rules are very vague. The rules about age are definitely covered as the Bike is a 29 year old IT200. Its fairly rare as it was only made 84-86 and it could be argued a collectors item. Definitely part of MY collection.
I could argue that I am carrying out the activities of a club member of RMDRA in that I am responsibly and respectfully enjoying a bit of back country riding while complying with all the rules laid out by the province - which I guess is the main goal of the club.

Then you come to the cost of having to take a day off work to argue the toss in court over legal technicalities. I guess I had better read up more on the legislation before I tackle this just to save myself the yearly re-registration

Thanks for the input !