Which car to tow trailer?

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Gixx6
User
User

Which car to tow trailer?

Post by Gixx6 »

I currently have a 2001 Saturn SC1 which is an automatic, and has a tow rating of 1000LBS. I am a little worried of using this car to tow 2 dirtbikes on a trailer as it doesn't have much power. Once the car would be fully prepared for the weekend with a tent, cooler, gas, bikes, the dog, etc it might end up killing the car. Or should I just use what I got?

Want to know what people use here for cars to tow trailers? looking for something that would be in the price range of 10-13k.

I am not sure how much 2 bikes, trailer, gas, cooler, camping gear etc would weigh in at.

Just don't want to kill my car.

Thanks
James

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

You would definitely be over the 1000lbs. or close to it and that would put much strain on your car. I wouldn't tow more than 1 bike and gear, especially with the climbs around here. Tranny's are expensive to replace plus your brakes weren't designed to carry that much load.
Claude
Claude

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I have the perfect car for you, trailer as well. The combination is a proven perfomer, having been to many races around the province. Here are some of the highlights.
1. Good looking white with sexy two tone rust
2. Carefully hilighted with delicate amounts of duct tape.
3. World recognized Honda durability, proven by almost 20yrs on the road.
5. Check engine light comes on to remind you the engine is running.
6. This prelude is full of "special treats" in the form of long forgotten granola bars, lubes, tubes and Im sure there are one or two winning Timmies cups in there as well.
7. New brakes and tires.
8. Exhaust system frequently replaced due to the nature of the roads it has traveled.
9. Pervasive stench to keep you awake on long drives to your favourite riding area.
10. Gas smell when tank is full acts as a backup to the easy to read, acurate gauge.

Would be happy to let it go with the trailer for 10-13k to a fellow dirtbiker.

Seriously, my car has no problems pulling trailer, bike, carrying camping equipment etc. I have a Snowbear trailer, solid with just the bed and a home built railing on front to tie down to. Bike (YZ250) and trailer are about 550lbs and car is rated 0lbs for trailer. You should have no problems ( within reason) and be smiling at the pump while your buddies fill their gigantic trucks.

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Well before the truck and even when my wife is using the truck for horse stuff we use our 2001 Jetta TDI and works unbelievable!!!! we live near nanton and can climb the hills no problem to chain lakes, Mclean and super on the flats with out even taking it out of 5th. I have pulled my RM250 the YZ80 and the KX65 all in the trailer and sure you noticed it a little on the hills but the EGT's stayed low and no overheating, I know you can get one for about 15,000. We think it works well. Only one thing is we have to disable the chip when towing( I think the problem is me with the heavy foot but just to be safe we disable it) Plus you get roughly 40MPG while towing :D . It is a little over the rated GVW in the book but when I talked to VW about it he said no problem but recomended to upgrade the brakes to a larger diameter or use an electric brake or surge brake on the trailer. He said the suspension can handle it just the brakes are a little small for the weight. I'm ordering the Porsche brake kit for the car(For performance mostly)

Anyways thats my 2 cents!!!!
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Rob P :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

I think Claude is right.
Lots of people exceed tow capacities & get away with it, but why take the risk?
Your cars brake's, transmission & frame have a design allowance of 1000# tow cap.
Knowing engineers, there is probably a safety margin built in there of 10 or 15%.
Depending on the bikes, they are probably 300# each, the trailer maybe 400#, so you are right at your limit without any gear at all. You might get away with it, but if you end up with a broken frame or brakes fail on a steep downhill... to me it's not worth the risk.

Check out specs on cars you like & find one with 2000# tow capacity.
Frank

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Volvo wagon. Mine has a tow rating of 3500lbs.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

How about a pickup truck that you only use for biking and camping and hauling stuff around the house? There are some very good ones that are alot less than 11-13 K. :excuse: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

PeterM
Writer
Writer

Post by PeterM »

See classifieds for an 03 Civic I'm selling that handles the load easily. Use a flat-deck trailer so wind resistance is only the bikes.

Going to replace it with an '06/'07 Civic 2 dr.
888 KTM

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

car

Post by DirtGirl »

A van is a good alternative too. You can fit several bikes and all the junk in them and still have a place to change and sleep that is up off the ground and out of the wind!

We have a beater van for day trips and the big diesel truck to pull the holiday trailer and all our junk for weekends.
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Can I camp with you guys? (I'm always on the ground AND in the wind!! AND, the boy's shrink when I have to change outside in the cold mountain air!)

;)
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

crazy2wheeler wrote:Can I camp with you guys? (I'm always on the ground AND in the wind!! AND, the boy's shrink when I have to change outside in the cold mountain air!)

;)
You young guys have a one track mind. :D

Bushpilot
User
User

one track mind

Post by Bushpilot »

No no...many tracks which all lead to the same spot.

How about dream haulers?
I'd like to reno my RV and add a bay in the back like those Toy Haulers
Hell you can eve start with a garbage truck
87' Can Am 250ASE
00' Honda XR650R

KBJ
User
User

Post by KBJ »

I run a 2000 VW VR6 with a small (light enough to move around by hand) homebuilt. Cheap hitch from Love your Car on Bow Trail and I'm all set. Essentially, the car will pull 2 bikes and gear very, very easily. The car has lots of torque and enough HP to keep you rolling up any hills. I like the easy of loading and unloading from the little trailer.
The only things that suck are the loss of front wheel traction on really greazy and gravelly roads and the fact I have very little clearance to get over any boulders on the road. Kindof limits the horrible roads I can travel on. Forestry Trunk Road is killer for the VW in some areas.
KBJ

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I am thinking about selling my old Toyota pickup. It will tow 2 bikes and LOTS of gear...or you can just throw the bikes in the back. Hauled Dobi's bike and my bike along with Dobi's approximately 45,000 lb tool box out to Indian Graves with no issues, plus gear. Not to mention that Mike weighs at least 350! :devil:

The truck is a 1993 Toyota Reg Cab, V6, 5 Speed. So for less than half the price you were looking you can throw your bikes and gear in the truck and off you go!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Dakota_c69 wrote:I am thinking about selling my old Toyota pickup. It will tow 2 bikes and LOTS of gear...or you can just throw the bikes in the back. Hauled Dobi's bike and my bike along with Dobi's approximately 45,000 lb tool box out to Indian Graves with no issues, plus gear. Not to mention that Mike weighs at least 350! :devil:

The truck is a 1993 Toyota Reg Cab, V6, 5 Speed. So for less than half the price you were looking you can throw your bikes and gear in the truck and off you go!

Glenn.
Can I get you to write my personal ad for matchmaker when my wife finally gives up on me and kicks me out?