An Observation...Maclean Creek.

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Re: An Observation...Maclean Creek.

Postby Spinalguy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

cedric wrote:I did some clean up work on Area 51 back when there was still snow on the ground, but didn't remove any logs on the ground, just took down some low hangers and knee busters.

Thank you :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:04 pm

We rode Area 51 yesterday and really didn't notice any missing logs. However there are a few creating a mess in the section south of the big hill. Logs plus mud equals fru fru riding conditions and trail damage.

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby dirtyboy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Hooligan wrote:We rode Area 51 yesterday and really didn't notice any missing logs. However there are a few creating a mess in the section south of the big hill. Logs plus mud equals fru fru riding conditions and trail damage.

I've been through there a few times this season and it seemed like it was a no stopping section. 51 is supposed to be like an obstacle course (TMO wise). We've been removing deadfall from most of the other trails. We do trail talk at Club Nights at 5:30 if you want to continue this discussion. I'd rather not continue to discuss here and point out trail issues on the forum since they are "forever" because of caching sites. May I suggest Cloud 9 that parallels Area 51 instead if you are looking for more flow? Tread lightly, my friend. :)

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm well aware of all the trails and what they offer. Personally I like the obstacle course nature of Area 51 too. However the reality is that clearly a lot of people are having issues with that section because it is becoming braided as people try to avoid the slippery, muddy log matrix, which in turn causes trail damage.

Now we can ignore reality and just let the trail get damaged till eventually the govt notices and it gives them an excuse to do what they already want to do. OR, we can recognize the issue and do something to fix it.

To be clear, I am not on the executive and this is not my decision to make. I'm just sayin' ...........

Advertisement

ttwest
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby ttwest » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Hooligan wrote:I'm well aware of all the trails and what they offer. Personally I like the obstacle course nature of Area 51 too. However the reality is that clearly a lot of people are having issues with that section because it is becoming braided as people try to avoid the slippery, muddy log matrix, which in turn causes trail damage.

Now we can ignore reality and just let the trail get damaged till eventually the govt notices and it gives them an excuse to do what they already want to do. OR, we can recognize the issue and do something to fix it.

To be clear, I am not on the executive and this is not my decision to make. I'm just sayin' ...........

There is zero Trail damage on Area 51! Hooligan..
.. a violent young troublemaker.... according to Google. :)

Advertisement

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hooligan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 pm

ttwest wrote:
Hooligan wrote:I'm well aware of all the trails and what they offer. Personally I like the obstacle course nature of Area 51 too. However the reality is that clearly a lot of people are having issues with that section because it is becoming braided as people try to avoid the slippery, muddy log matrix, which in turn causes trail damage.

There is zero Trail damage on Area 51! Hooligan..
.. a violent young troublemaker.... according to Google. :)

Sadly not young anymore. :(

I guess it depends on how one defines "trail damage". Certainly, if things dry out a bit more, then there won't be an issue. However, currently that spot in the trail is getting wider as people try to avoid the muck and slippery log matrix.

Personally, if it was up to me, I'd fix that spot and then drop a couple of logs across less susceptible points on the trail to compensate and keep the trail as fun and technical as we expect it to be.

Advertisement

Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Postby Spinalguy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm

hey dirtyboy,
i give you full permission to delete this thread.

as soon as i hear the words trail damage being used on a forum where the stewards of the forum are also the stewards of the trail systems, it makes me cringe.

my point of the thread was just noticing some trails getting easier because of decade old trees being sawed away over the last 2 years and wishing whoever is responsible and if they browse this forum to stop doing it and learn to ride.

peace and love.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Advertisement

dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby dirtyboy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 pm

dirtyboy wrote:I'd rather not continue to discuss here and point out trail issues on the forum since they are "forever" because of caching sites.

I guess my statement wasn't clear enough. Thread closed!

Advertisement

Return to “General Topics”