Loud SUCKS!

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Loud SUCKS!

Post by fasteer »

http://ridestealth.com

I'm gonna order a t-shirt & some bumper-stickers.
Anybody else want some?
Frank

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Good site.
The time is now to be proactive in reducing noise. If GAMP did not wake you up, nothing will. Yes, i know that GAMP had no relationship to noise but they did shut down 1300sq miles of trails, so they could do it again based on the #1 public complaint.....noise.
Tom :cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Great site....100% agreed. :applause: :applause:

We all need to ride like ninjas throught the forest and not like top fuel dragsters. :applause:

Loud Sucks....spread the word. :cheers:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Spread the word to the bike manufacturers to start building competitive bush bikes that have compliant exhaust pipes from the factory, Not all of us ride Orange. Another $500 for a good ,quiet pipe is alot when you just drop over 8 grand for a new bike. My - 02. WR Dave :crazy:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Yeah Dave, your bike is too LOUD!!! Get a new ONE!!! Think that will work on the wife..."Honey, My old bike is just TOO loud!'

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

Years ago, it was "cool" to have a loud pipe, and is still is today...to a point. My bike came with a White Bros E-series pipe, and it is wayyy too loud. Just ask the guys I have ridden with, they all have made comments, some good, some bad. I have tried repacking it, but it did not get any quieter. I added as many discs to the end cap, but with the same result.

I have the stock exhaust for the WR, and am planning to swap it back over to see how much power may be lost (if any). I like the "ride stealth" idea.

It pisses me off that Harley owners and the like don't get any flack for making noise. It's OK to have straight pipes in residential areas at 2am, but a noisy dirtbike in the woods gets you a fine. :excuse: :huh:
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

chucker wrote:

It pisses me off that Harley owners and the like don't get any flack for making noise. It's OK to have straight pipes in residential areas at 2am, but a noisy dirtbike in the woods gets you a fine. :excuse: :huh:
Loud Pipes Save Lives
:cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Loud Pipes Save Lives
...maybe on the road, but they also close trails :thumbsdown:

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

As a guy who has ridden on the road for many years -

LOUD pipes DON'T save lives!!

All they do is freak out drivers of the other vehicles and make them more likely to swerve or move erratically. Oh, and they also PISS* OFF other drivers, pedestrians, and anyone else who happens to be within about 100 yards of the unnecessary and inconsiderate (and generally obnoxoius) noise.

The safest way to ride on the road (IMO) is to be moving faster than the traffic, if you can see the cars ahead you can anticipate what they are going to do, and pass them before they change course. Ya can't do this if you are driving right beside one (particularly if the driver would like to take out a maddeningly loud bike).

On the road as well, STEALTH is definately the way to go. Not to mention that it's alot harder for 'someone' to track and follow a quiet bike, than a loud one.

If ya can't afford a quiet pipe for the loud beast - at least stuff ur ol' lady's bra in there. That DDD oughta absorb some noise.

My 2 cents. Loud sucks. :soapbox:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i was referring to the Harley motto and on road only.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

My pipe on my R1 has saved me many of times.

The pipe isn't that loud, but loud enough to let people know there is a bike beside you, or possibly in your blind spot. When I downshift it because extremely quiet and when riding like this in the city I have had more then one experience where the car nearly ran me off the road.

Once I got a ticket for this too as a Jeep was coming into my lane where I had a car tailgating me and a square edged cement boulavard beside me (Riding in proper blocking position). My only obvious choice was to speed up so I did. Passed the jeep after he was nearly completely in my lane and look up and there was a cop radaring me. Damn cop was on a power trip and never let me go with a warning and the judge on the ticket said "there is never an excuse to speed"

So I guess next time I will take the curb and jump off the bike where it would have likely smashed into a occupied building lining the street and possibly hit some pedestrian on the sidewalk. Sometimes the law is B.S.

I will never have a street bike with a quiet exhaust. Vehicle drivers are too stupid to look for motorcycles, where as the exhaust will let them know you are around them and some (not all) will take the time to look for you.

But I do agree with the quiet trails bike. Went into BF last weekend to buy a FMF Q and the guy said you can't get one for the RM. I know you can so I will likely end up buying one online.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Shibby! wrote:But I do agree with the quiet trails bike. Went into BF last weekend to buy a FMF Q and the guy said you can't get one for the RM. I know you can so I will likely end up buying one online.
Try Thumper Darryl @ Westech. I got an FMF Gnarly off him for my SX and it was cheaper than anyplace else in Calgary.
His ad is at the top of the page every now and then.

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

I just got my FMF Q for my WR450. Beware of ordering from FMF as they only ship with UPS and I got hit with an extra $90.00 brokerage fee. For what I paid I would have been better off ordering it local to support our dealers, I still saved but not that much.
Resist, Insist,and Persist

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

We should support the local dealers and make them aware the LOUD is BAD for off-road. They will surely be more willing to help our cause as well if the money is spent in good old Calgary :cheers:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

What pipe did you use to bring the 450 in line with the noise issue Dennis? I'm thinking it may knock the WR db's down as well. WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!