Trailer Advice

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Trailer Advice

Post by MtnBlue »

I would say, try and find one that hasn't done a bunch of trips up and down the trunk roads. Maybe somebody that only camps in the nice serviced campgrounds. Check the usual things, roof for leaks, water lines for leaks, propane lines, electrical, fridge (the 3 way fridges are expensive, ask me I know).

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

MtnBlue wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:There is a lot of good input here.

I like using the oven a lot in my rig. Frozen pizza, french fries, frozen dinners, quiche, muffins and even a roast some times. When the weather gets a little in-climate it sure is nice to cook inside. Keeps the girls busy doing stuff sometimes too (aka blueberry muffins when in season) :D

But then again I'm not really a microwave guy and don't like having to fire up the generator to run it.
I'm coming over to your trailer for dinner :D
Ha! I've drooled over your fancy dinners in the wild! Not too shabby MtnBlue. :applause:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

cedric wrote:Thanks again for all the replies, I'm learning lots here. I'll probably start looking at used trailers, to try to get a bit more bang for the buck, so with that said...
  • What are some common problems to look out for on a few year old trailer?
  • Any advice regarding which brands seem to hold up better than others?
  • Obviously newer is better, but is there a certain age where these things start falling apart?
i bought 99 Kustom. Older couple owned it and it was immaculate. Never really used. It has LOTS of windows which most newer ones do not. The consequence of so many windows is i run the heat more often at night but with 2 6V's, no problem.
Also, consider adding the cost of a spring over to any trailer you buy unless it sits really high as is.
i will always buy used. Meet the owners and trust your gut. Buy it when you can test all systems. i did not but my gut told me that this trailer was 'brand new' and it has been flawless since we got it 4 years ago.
You would be surprised what 15g's will buy used.
Rubber roof is a must.
And as MtnBlu said find one that has never been offroad...springover is a dead giveaway.
But i did take mine to Standens and replaced the entire suspension with heavy duty.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

kawasakijockey
Writer
Writer

Post by kawasakijockey »

spring over not a dead give away...
mine came factory with heavy duty suspension and spring over.

dakota im not sure how big the tanks are in my unit shes in storage. but big enough for my family thats for sure

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

My trailer is factory spring over as well (it's a small toy hauler, so this might not compare to others well).
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

kawasakijockey,

If you tell me the make and model I can look it up. Thanks!
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

kawasawkijockey and 350scott, do you ever take your trailer off the asphalt? If yes, then the springover is a dead giveaway that chances are anyone with a springover factory or aftermarket has been off the beaten path. :smirk:
Yes, there may be exceptions but they would be few and far.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Spinalguy wrote:kawasawkijockey and 350scott, do you ever take your trailer off the asphalt? If yes, then the springover is a dead giveaway that chances are anyone with a springover factory or aftermarket has been off the beaten path. :smirk:
Spinalguy, i think most newer generation trailers are alot higher than your's was when it was new. since about 05' I have noticed that trailers are coming considerably higher. prior to that the majority were pretty low, hence your need to 'spring over'. but as the others mentioned, that doesn't really apply any more, in that you can't just assume a trailer has been of roaded becasue it high off the ground.

The last trailer I bought has the plumbing quite high and will now go anywhere i want to take it. It is approximately 14-15" to the very bottom of the plumbing, it's a jayco and came that way from the factory.

I think if you are looking at older trailer's, Spinalguy's advice of "if it has a spring over it's been off road and has likely been put through it's paces" is pretty accurate.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Spinalguy wrote:kawasawkijockey and 350scott, do you ever take your trailer off the asphalt? If yes, then the springover is a dead giveaway that chances are anyone with a springover factory or aftermarket has been off the beaten path. :smirk:
Nope, never been off Ashphalt. In fact I usually just stay in the Walmart parking lot. Want to buy it, I could use a new one?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

steve-o wrote:
Spinalguy, i think most newer generation trailers are alot higher than your's was when it was new. since about 05' I have noticed that trailers are coming considerably higher. prior to that the majority were pretty low, hence your need to 'spring over'. but as the others mentioned, that doesn't really apply any more, in that you can't just assume a trailer has been of roaded becasue it high off the ground.

The last trailer I bought has the plumbing quite high and will now go anywhere i want to take it. It is approximately 14-15" to the very bottom of the plumbing, it's a jayco and came that way from the factory.

I think if you are looking at older trailer's, Spinalguy's advice of "if it has a spring over it's been off road and has likely been put through it's paces" is pretty accurate.
Do you have evidence to support this theory that any trailer newer than 05 actually has the axle flipped to a spring over configuration?
just kidding. :lol:
Anyways, i guess since Cedric was asking, there are many things to look out for when buying used. A springover is one thing. It also does not mean, do not buy it, but maybe take a closer look under it :thumbsup:
My trailer is sprung over and is a great trailer and would easily sell because of its shape, inside, on top and under.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

350scott wrote:
Nope, never been off Ashphalt. In fact I usually just stay in the Walmart parking lot. Want to buy it, I could use a new one?
i thought i had seen you in Walmart lots before. And as i stated above, i never said do not buy one that has left the asphalt, just that the springover is a dead give away. :excuse:

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Be sure to look at the plumbing under a trailer regardless of it being sprung over or under the axle.

Just because it has the springs on one side or the other of the axle doesn't mean it hasn't been dragged through the dirt. Many on here know when they buy a trailerto immediately swapped the spring location and will take very good care of their gear. While less experienced may not do that and end up dragging it down a bush trail and ripping off their dump valves or jacks.

Be sure to fully test any slides, if equiped, AC, water pump, fridge, stove, the whole works. There is no warranty when you buy used so be careful. Watch for soft spots in the floors, check for mold under matteress and under sinks, anything loose, test the internal wiring, look for signs of leaks. Also in you're looking at a fiberglass bodied trailer, watch for signs of de-lamination, inside and out.

Not all of this means you should walk away from a deal, just be prepared. For example if a trailer has a bad water pump, you can replace one for about $80, but on the other hand if that fiberglass bodied trailer is de-laminating walk away!
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Brass wrote:Be sure to look at the plumbing under a trailer regardless of it being sprung over or under the axle.

Just because it has the springs on one side or the other of the axle doesn't mean it hasn't been dragged through the dirt. Many on here know when they buy a trailerto immediately swapped the spring location and will take very good care of their gear. While less experienced may not do that and end up dragging it down a bush trail and ripping off their dump valves or jacks.

Be sure to fully test any slides, if equiped, AC, water pump, fridge, stove, the whole works. There is no warranty when you buy used so be careful. Watch for soft spots in the floors, check for mold under matteress and under sinks, anything loose, test the internal wiring, look for signs of leaks. Also in you're looking at a fiberglass bodied trailer, watch for signs of de-lamination, inside and out.

Not all of this means you should walk away from a deal, just be prepared. For example if a trailer has a bad water pump, you can replace one for about $80, but on the other hand if that fiberglass bodied trailer is de-laminating walk away!
Really good advise, ESP the Delam thing too!
Last edited by steve-o on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

We bought a Rockwood with a queen Murphy bed in the front last year. It's nice because in the morning you just flip up the bed and its out of the way all day makes it way more roomy inside. I thought the murphy bed may be a pain in the ... but it's great, straps keep all bedding in place so you just flip it up. I also wanted something 25-27 ft, very open inside 1/2 ton towable and a bathroom that didn't feel like a show box. AC is an added bonus.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTra ... e=trailers

Agree on the 2x6v.
Bikeless....

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Make sure everything works before you buy it. Also watch for water damage. If the seals the on the roof, windows are leaking it can make a mess. Rotten walls, rotten floor, etc. watch for delamination on the older hard wall trailers. if you buy in the winter make sure it was winterized properly.

Lots of people buy these things and let them sit in storage for 11 months of the year, so hold out and get one that is in good shape, there are thousands on Kijiji so feel free to be picky.

Jon
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF