Thoughts and Prayers needed...

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Thoughts and Prayers needed...

Post by cycleworks »

Heal fast Brad! Thinking of you and the family....
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

If Eddy is as fast at healing as he is riding, he'll be doing jumping jacks in a week! A case of PBR liquid vitamins will help immensely to speed up the process. :) :thumbsup:

Heal fast senor Eddy. :cheers:

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Get well soon brother. I'm a beer bottle throw away if you need anything. :cheers:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Moose
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Moose »

Our thoughts are with you and your family Brad. Very scary situation and you should be proud of Trudy as she handled it like a champ! Get well soon dude and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help while you recover. Although this is a major injury in my books, I am so grateful that it sounds like you will make a full recover.

Shane Cuthbertson (aka - Moose)

Trudy
Writer
Writer

Post by Trudy »

Hi Everyone,

First I want to thank everyone for the kind words and offers of help. It is so appreciated.
Special thank you to Lee Fryberger, Clint Riviere, Bob Reed and Tab Sydor. From what I understand they were the first guys to get to Brad and carry him down to the razor and drive him out. Although he was in a tremendous pain at the time, and scared, he told me he felt comfort knowing he had these guys carrying him. I also would like to thank the medic that was attending to Brad ( I don't know his name but if someone could tell me that would be great). I can't remember who all helped in the tent but I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart. The surgeon told us that if had he not had the care he received, his injuries could have been much worse. Great job everyone!

I also want to thank my very good friends Janni & Kevin. They loaded up our trailer and kids with the help of Claude and Pat (and I'm sure others) and drove it all back to Calgary. There with the help of Steve-O they unloaded everything and got it into storage. THANK YOU guys so much. It was such a relief not having to deal with that.

I'm sure there are so many more people that I am forgetting to thank, but please know we are both forever grateful.

So Brad did suffer a compressed t6 vertebrae ( about 50%) as well as small fractures in the vertebrae above and below. They fused 5 vertebrae with titanium rods and screws all together. He also has some fractured ribs, which they are not concerned about. The c-scans also found something abnormal with his heart, specifically the aorta. After more testing they haven't really figured out what it is, but figured he was stable enough for the surgery.

The surgery went great and Brad is fully stable, just in a great deal of pain and tired. He is having some unusual tingling and numbing sensation in his chest, arms, neck and face. The doctors are not sure what is causing this but it may be a reaction to some of the medication they are giving him.

He stood up yesterday and took his first steps. He was exhausted afterwards but standing I think helps with the circulation. He is not quite ready for any visitors, but I will let everyone know when he is. I know he will appreciate some company other than me.

Trudy

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

God bless Brad and family. So scary, it's great to hear that a full recovery is expected. I just keep picturing that amazing photo that Tom took with Brad's hands in the air after finishing the Crowdnest XC in the snow 2 years ago, one of very few finishers. :nworthy: Talented rider for sure. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. :canada:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Thanks for the update Trudy, appreciate it.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rider Eh! »

Get well Brad! Miss riding with you bud, take care and heal up!
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Some thanks...

Post by MotorEd »

Good Morning,

Cant say enough about the well wishes and support I and our family have received from everyone...from the bottom of my heart...thank you :blush:

I made it home 2 nights ago, but my local pharmacist filled my prescription with the wrong meds...so my first night home was a nightmare and I ended up taking another ambulance ride back to emergency. One more day, correct meds and I am home.

Trudy mentioned most of this earlier, but i need to say this as well...really need to thanks some people that helped both myself and my family. We have an amazing community(family) of riders/racers that I feel very lucky to be part of...our little riding community is simply incredible.

OK, Mr Lee Fryberger, Bob Reed, Clint Riviere, Tab Sydor(sacrificed his race to help me)...there were a couple other young studs that helped get me off the mountain whose names I need if someone could help track them down, because they all need huge credit for keeping things very calm and making unreal on the fly decisions. This crew took the most incredible care of me while on the course and busted their you know what carrying me down the mountain strapped to a board to the point they could finally get me on the back of the Razor. THESE GUYS WERE EXCELLENT! Cant thank you enough :nworthy: The love and support once I got to the race tent was overwhelming...again we have such and awesome community of people in this little race series we love to do.

The heart and dedication of the volunteers we have at our races does not go recognized enough....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

There was a crew of people that helped pack up my bike/trailer and kids which took a huge load of angst and worry off my beautiful wife Trudy. Jannie and Kevin Dupuis, Claude Guguere and his wife Joanne...his buddy Patrick Feal and wife Terresa? and i heard there were others that pitched in. This gave Trudy and I great comfort knowing everything was ok on this end. Now Trudy could enjoy the 180km/hr ambulance ride back to Calgary with me YEEEEHAWWWW.

Thanks to Janni & Steve-O for taking my trailer back and locking everything up for me. Including having to break into the storage yard to do so. Holy moly thanks to Jannie for even dumping the trailer tanks :crazy:

While in the hospital my surgeon did and exceptional job and ordered up the top notch KTM titanium rods and screws so things should be super solid going forward.I had some exceptional care from the nursing staff at the Foothills...those folks have an unbelievably tough job and dont get nearly enough praise for the work they do :nworthy:

Last but not least, my wife has bee my rock through all this, Lee Fryberger is correct she handled the whole situation just awesome...wouldnt be this far along the journey if not for her love, support and kicks in the ***.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes and support...see you guys on the trails soon :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Brad Elder

KTMpilot
Writer
Writer

Post by KTMpilot »

Glad to hear that you're out of the hospital Brad, get well soon!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

It's great to hear from you and the news that you are home and healing. What a positive outlook! I wish you some fast healing.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Glad to hear you are on the mend Brad :thumbsup:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

dirtyboy wrote:It's great to hear from you and the news that you are home and healing. What a positive outlook! I wish you some fast healing.
X2 EDDY!!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Super stuff, you made my day! great news. :thumbsup:
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Great to hear you are home Mr Ed. If you need anything heavy lifted or moved around let me know and I will text 350Scott to come over and do it.

I hear you with regards to this community of bikers, racers, family and friends. We are truly blessed to be a part of this great group of people.