Endurocross Track Build Planned for Wildrose MX Park

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Moose
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Endurocross Track Build Planned for Wildrose MX Park

Post by Moose »

NOTICE – Endurocross Track Build Planned for Wildrose MX Park – Calgary

Recently, I have been in discussions with Wildrose MX about creating an Endurocross Track at their facility in the near future. Currently, there is sufficient space in the trials park area to accommodate the track and the association will be voting on the track creation during next board meeting to be held September 15, 2011. By all accounts the outlook is quite positive as there are very few hurdles to overcome and the association appears to be keen on the idea.

In the mean time, they have given me approval to start moving the necessary obstacles into the park as this is a challenge in itself. Hence this request for help, as I am trying to obtain the items detailed below and then find a way to move them into the park. I would like to have this complete by September 15 in order to have the track built late September and then have a few months use until the snow flies.

If anyone is interested, has access or knows where to obtain the following items, and/or is able to provide equipment for hauling or the build, please contact me by phone or e-mail at the numbers listed below. Thanks in advance for your support in this project. I believe we can make a great track at this facility and it will offer us off-road types another place to play and maybe help create more interest in our sport!

Obstacles required:

- Power Poles (for track boundaries). Qty required approximately 30-40.
- Large Logs (at least 10 feet in length and minimum 12” diameter). Qty required approximately 15-20.
- Small Logs (at least 10 feet in length and below 12” diameter). Qty required approximately 30-40.
- Fire Pit Wood (enough to cover 50 foot fire pit obstacle). Round, half cut, or quarter cut will work.
- Large Truck Tires (at least 6 foot diameter). Qty required approximately 10-15.
- Large Rocks. Preferably not sandstone although I will take this if nothing else available. Looking for something to make Rock Garden approximately 100 foot long or several smaller sections
- Small Rocks. Sized the same as river rock again to make Rock Garden but generally used in a 180 degree turn
- Any other obstacle which a crazy dirt biker might like to ride over. Remember is needs to be bullet proof as I am not into fixing things nor do I want to be responsible for it
- Water pit. I would love to make a water pit that is durable. Not sure if we could do something that could be moved if need be?
- Rebar or sucker rod required to secure obstacles. Generally I find 1.5 - 2 foot lengths work great.

That’s about it for now. Obviously when the time comes to build more fastening supplies, generators, industrial tools, bobcats, heavy equipment will be required, but for now just trying to accomplish Step 01. If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to fire them my way.

Regards,
Shane Cuthbertson
questinspection@platinum.ca
Phone: (403) 880-4108

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Endurocross Track Build Planned for Wildrose MX Park

Post by rogue »

How cool would that be. :applause:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Sweeeeeet! Great effort and initiative Moose! I might start making a couple trips into town now.
I have lots of left over bent rebar that will cut up nicely and a generator that I can just donate for a month or however long you need it.
I could get tonnes of Poplar fire wood, I am just not excited about the splitting part...any splitters out there?
I have a couple of old John Deere snowmobiles we can jib. Can't even give these away so we might as well jib them.
I also have an aging and unused Woodmaster Homes Job truck that would be a challenge to ride over from the box end up over the cab. If I can find a way to part out the engine and tranny, then I'll deliver that and take the wheels off of it.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

PM SENT
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Excellent idea Moose! Thanks for taking the initiative on this!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D. :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

rock933
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rock933 »

Tire shops will usally give you old loader tires as long as you can haul them away.

Moose
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Endurocross Track Build Planned for Wildrose MX - Update

Post by Moose »

Updates since my original request for help with services / materials:

1) See attached Spreadsheet
Wildrose EX Track Build Plan.xls
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
showing all interested persons whom have contacted me to date. This also shows the obstacles required, whom is working on them (Red Font), and some that I currently could use some help obtaining (highlighted in yellow).

2) I had a meeting with Wildrose MX to further discuss this on August 23rd and it appears we are basically a ‘GO’ to get this done. Final approval is September 15th, however they have indicated this should just be a formality.

3) Wildrose MX has given me approval to haul all obstacles into facility before that date. Nothing has been moved in yet, however I am hoping this can be done in the next 3 weeks.

4) I have the track layout complete and am looking for a draftsman to volunteer some time to make it into a more professional drawing. Please email or call if you are interested.

5) I would like to have 2 skid steers for the build and am putting some feelers out for any folks who might be willing to help on Sept. 23-25. Also will need generators, industrial drills/auger bits, chainsaws, etc..

6) Time schedule at this point is:

- August 29 – Sept. 16 (3 weeks) – Secure all obstacles and move to location
- September 15/16 – Final approval from Wildrose MX
- September 23/24/25 (Fri/Sat/Sun) – Endurocross Track Build

Anyone with comments, suggestions, obstacles to offer, or manpower please feel free to PM or contact me at the numbers below. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Shane Cuthbertson

Moose
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Moose »

Great news everyone – Wild Rose MX board has officially approved the construction of the Endurocross Track!

I want to thank all those enthusiastic people whom have offered help so far with obstacles, course design, and planning! We are in a great position now for the work party scheduled September 24/25 (Saturday / Sunday). I have most people’s e-mails on my distribution list, however if you are interested to be included please contact at the numbers below.

So a couple things left to square away:

Powerpoles – Several volunteers have been trying to secure these however the power/utility companies seem to be taking there time answering back… We are at a stage now where we cannot wait any longer and need to make something happen! I feel these are crucial components of the track as Blackfoot has requested a more ‘professional’ appearance to the track and I really feel they are key to separate track lanes/help secure the large single logs and define track boundaries. I currently have two main leads I am exercising, however my best option so far is the following:

1) I have located about 80 poles belonging to an old farmer whom lives near my residence (15km west of Airdrie). I met with him this week and he seems willing to get rid of them. Unfortunately, he does not want to give them away and requested $25/pole. I require 40-50 poles (~$1000), however I feel he would accept an offer of $500 for what we need. Only problem is the project is volunteer/donation based therefore we have no funding… So I am looking for monetary donations to cover this. I am thinking maybe $50 from 9 other interested parties (myself included) would cover this and not be a huge burden for those wanting this facility. Let me know what you think, it you want to make a donation, and if you have a truck/trailer to transport these to the track.

Large Truck Tires – We have several there already, however I need 5-6 more large tires (roughly 6-8’ diameter by 2-3’ wide). No tractor tires please. Looking for a volunteer to visit a tire shop and transport these to track.

Mini-Hoe – I am looking for one to help make some drainage ditches on Friday and maybe help move around obstacle during Sat. / Sun build. Any leads on a digger would be appreciated!

Work Party – Let me know if you are interested and when you are available? I will schedule the rest accordingly.
- September 24 (Saturday), 9AM to 5PM
- September 25 (Sunday), 10AM to 2PM
- Lunch and refreshment will be provided!

That’ all for now – hope to see you all at the track build or ripping it up in the near future!

Regards,
Shane Cuthbertson
PM me from this forum
shanecuthbertson@gmail.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Shane, i will donate $50.
i have a buddy (non rider) that has a kubota mini hoe and also a kubota tractor. i will ask him if he can do it. What times would he need to be there? As he may be on a jobsite (he works for himself), he may not make it on date specified. Is there any flexibility to the Friday?
Tk

EDIT: How long are the power poles?
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have a 16'(?) deck carhauler, unless the poles are cut down I think that is too short? I will measure it and report back. Some overhang is possible, i do have a chainsaw... Thanks for taking the initiative on this. :thumbsup:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

update. Grant Yourth of Snakeriver Contracting (403-589-8341) will donate his backhoe and time on Friday :applause:
He will meet you there at noon as discussed Shane.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com