hitch mounted motorcycle carriers

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: hitch mounted motorcycle carriers

Post by Brass »

dwagner wrote:It sounds like most of you are using this behind vehicles that are higher up. What about using it on minivan, my fear is that it will bottom out everytime I drive through a dip in the road. Any suggestions???
I have one mounted on the back of a Jeep Compass, which is smaller than most minivans. It does sit low but then I'm not going off 4x4ing with it either. I expect neither would you since you are asking about a minivan. It has dragged a couple times but never anything of concern.

I was out at for the guided ride on Wednesday with it, and that area we parked in didn't hold me up.

If it was a big concern for you there are hitch risers available. $70 ish at princess auto.
Last edited by Brass on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The voices are back. Awesome!

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

dwagner wrote:It sounds like most of you are using this behind vehicles that are higher up. What about using it on minivan, my fear is that it will bottom out everytime I drive through a dip in the road. Any suggestions???
I used to bottom out everytime I drove out of my driveway in my Odyssey and going into Wildrose mx park. It didn't hurt anything,just sounds bad.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hendrix13 wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i got a really light aluminum one.
i got it off of an Ebay dealer.
http://www.prohoists.com/AMC-400_Alumin ... rrier_Ramp
i have no fear of losing my bike, its good.

Tom, this is what I've been looking for. One thing before I order. Does it have some device that prevents in from rocking in the receiver? I'm afraid of rounding my receiver out with the one I have from Princess Auto?

Thanks

Edit: After reading the desc more closely it looks like it does...could you please confirm :) Thanks Again.
Yes, it has a clamping device with it. The great thing is it can be used on any other hitches you have that flop around.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i have mine collecting dust, so if you guys want to try one, i can lend it to you for a day. i won't sell it as i never know when i may need it again.

However, i have a HEAVY duty built one that also comes with a RISER. It is all custom work and $100 can buy it from me. i used it on a few vehicles. It is SOLID!!!!!
Did i mention heavy? :)

It is so well built that i used to tow a trailer behind it...(no riser in this pic as the jeep is on 37's) The other thing you see is just a cable for locking my bike.

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

What's that family chiropractor sign there? and a liquor store beside it? Party supplies and spinal adjustment in a single stop? :smirk: :D

dwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dwagner »

[quote="Spinalguy"]i have mine collecting dust, so if you guys want to try one, i can lend it to you for a day. i won't sell it as i never know when i may need it again.

However, i have a HEAVY duty built one that also comes with a RISER. It is all custom work and $100 can buy it from me. i used it on a few vehicles. It is SOLID!!!!!
Did i mention heavy? :)

It is so well built that i used to tow a trailer behind it...(no riser in this pic as the jeep is on 37's) The other thing you see is just a cable for locking my bike.

Hey Tom I would be interested in it, especially if I could hook my tent trailer to also. This way my wife won't have an excuse that I can't take my bike with us when we go camping! :applause:
Thanks,

David

Find the RMDRA on Facebook at http://facebook.com/rmdra

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

dirtyboy wrote:What's that family chiropractor sign there? and a liquor store beside it? Party supplies and spinal adjustment in a single stop? :smirk: :D
Of course and a Timmys in front for all your coffee needs. :smirk:

You have a pm David. :thumbsup:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Spinalguy wrote:
Hendrix13 wrote:
Spinalguy wrote:i got a really light aluminum one.
i got it off of an Ebay dealer.
http://www.prohoists.com/AMC-400_Alumin ... rrier_Ramp
i have no fear of losing my bike, its good.

Tom, this is what I've been looking for. One thing before I order. Does it have some device that prevents in from rocking in the receiver? I'm afraid of rounding my receiver out with the one I have from Princess Auto?

Thanks

Edit: After reading the desc more closely it looks like it does...could you please confirm :) Thanks Again.
Yes, it has a clamping device with it. The great thing is it can be used on any other hitches you have that flop around.
...Ordered :thumbsup: Thanks Spinalguy, I've been looking all over for this one...great price too :smirk:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

So now I'm annoyed..they want $108 US to ship it here....urrr. Is this normal?

Then I'm sure I'm going to get nail with some outrageous broker fee. :thumbsdown:

There must be someone in canada that sells this carrier for a decent price????
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Hendrix13 wrote:So now I'm annoyed..they want $108 US to ship it here....urrr. Is this normal?

Then I'm sure I'm going to get nail with some outrageous broker fee. :thumbsdown:

There must be someone in canada that sells this carrier for a decent price????
That is outrageous.
Ask them if they will ship USPS.

i also have some document that may help you, let me find it.
Last edited by Spinalguy on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

From another site. It is not rumor it has been verified...

"strictly rumour, but Ihave heard from a UPS guy that if you HAVE to use UPS to ask for Expidited or Express Shipping, which costs a little more, but will skip the brokerage fees.
That was the last time UPS delivered for me and I have not used them since, so I can't say if it works or not, but something to think about if the seller only uses UPS.

And here is a link to the documentation.
http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/attachme ... 1276023912

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I bought mine at Princess Auto. IIRC it was about $130. I wouldn't call the quality stellar but it has been carrying my bike for about a year now. I keep planning to add a few updates to make it more robust but I never get to it. A friend of mine came up with a way of using boomers (also from Princess Auto) instead of tie downs. It makes the bike way more stable and its tied down in all of 1 minute. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

Cheers,
Bark

seahaul
User
User

Post by seahaul »

Sorry for being a little late to the party but Costco online sells the Boss carrier for 399. Just go to Costco.ca and search for motorcycle. This is the same one that bow cycle sells. It's pretty slick as it tilts for loading, you hook it up and lift it off the ground

stogey
User
User

Post by stogey »

Thanks to everyone's insight and input on this topic.
I decided to go with the economical Princess Auto carrier. I figure I'll see how it goes this season and then if I want I'll upgrade next year.
Thanks for the pics and advice on set ups, I'll be looking into some of the ideas you guys posted for making it more stable.
I'm excited to be able to load my own bike at the end of a day of riding and popping the canopy on my truck and heading out camping with my bike!
Thanks again! :thumbsup:

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Anyone seen a 2-spot carrier like that?
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC