New Trail at McLean

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
absurveyor
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Trail at McLean

Post by absurveyor »

I was going to leave this one alone since dirtyboy says I use up too much bandwitdth.

Tom Thanks for voicing your opinion. I too was surprised at how much work it takes to make new trail and Sunday at FT showed how much is left to do. And getting Hailed and soaked on Sunday(and Some on Saturday) to get the work done was impressive. :thumbsup:

Justin Thanks for showing the interest and asking the right questions. I can understand your passion. Remember actions do speak louder than words.

Dave, Sorry to hear we have disappointed you, and yes we sometimes do cancel rides due to total garbage weather. Like Dobi said we are trying to keep things more fun, thats why the Guided Rides Committee has spent 100's of personal hours working on the guided rides this year. We all have lives and families and no, you don't need to volunteer to be part of the club, it just helps. I hope you come out Wednesday and enjoy your ride, my oil and Gas Survey company will even buy you soda after the ride.

To the guys that built the 2 bridges an Saturday BIG THANKS! That was an allstar effort and those bridges will last for a long time. For those that don't know they carried 2x8x8 Foot boards over 1km to get to the bridges. This was on their shoulder. Remember that next time you cross a bridge. The nice thing about a bridge, you only have to do it once! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To those that have not made it out to Fallen Timber yet I would like to say do yourself a favour and try the Gov trail on top of the first Ridge. Third gear heaven ( till I yard saled it on a log). oh and you need to take new trail to get there which as Tom says is still kinda tricky. No need to volunteer, just enjoy and observe.

This is a Club and not a business. We all do it for the passion and your participation and membership is appreciated.
'If you can't be fast at least look cool"- Absurveyor circa 1992

Waxy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Waxy »

dwagner wrote:Hey crazy2wheeler, when you quote me include the whole statement...

"This is suppose to be a dirt biking club, with some responsibilites, not a political activists group - or am I missing something?"

I did say "with some responsibilities", not everyone has the time or passion (like spinalguy) to be out there on weekends to help with trail maintenance. However, just being a "responsible" member of the club is a great contribution... riding responsibly, advocating publicly for trail use, etc, etc.

As for my weekends and evenings: I volunteer my time with a non-profit for people with developmental disabilities; I also run a weekly meeting for people with addiction problems and participate at the district level. Oh by the way I self employed which takes 50-60 hours of week at my time, I am married, I have three kids which I am a present and active parent. At best I may get out every other Wednesday for a club ride - I never have time to ride on the weekend - and when I club ride I usually sweep or help lead.

So does this mean if I don't get out to help build trails then I am not a valued member of the club? Maybe I should find a new club?
Nope, not at all. If you got that impression, then I'll apologize on behalf of the club. We're all crazy busy it seems, and by the sounds of it, you've got more on your plate than most.

There is some "dirty work" aka politiking that has to be done in order to protect our riding areas and keep the club in the political loop, unfortunately that's just the way the world works these days, because there are a lot of groups out there that don't like us, and exist solely for that purpose, it's their mission. I for one am VERY grateful for the club members who wade through that "stuff" on a regularly basis on all our behalfs, whether we know it and appreciate it or not.

The sentence I highlighted is the most important thing for everyone to take away from all of this IMHO. Building and maintaining trail is important no doubt, it benefits us all and it requires a lot of volunteer time and effort, but if we could get every dirtbiker in this province to do what you stated above, we'd be basically home free, the rest would just fall into place.

I for one hope you stick around and continue count yourself among the RMDRA membership.

Waxy
'07 KTM 400 XCW Dual Sported
2016 Warrior V208/Mercury 350 Verado

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Waxy, very true :thumbsup:

justinKX
Journalist
Journalist

Post by justinKX »

i like it here.
-Justin
00 kx250
06 crf150f
95 zx9r

d4rk5trok3r
Writer
Writer

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

Dobi wrote:..... do yourself a favour and never go out alone in the woods with Dude…..
....Dude has told me several times, if I get stuck he's leaving me and taking my shiny helmet.. so I make sure I don't get stuck!

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

If Jamie's foot is better, does that mean no more hot-dogs?
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

LID wrote:If Jamie's foot is better, does that mean no more hot-dogs?
I kind of thought once I was riding that someone else would take over...absurveyour did once but rouge didn't pan out so well.

You know...they're not that hard to cook :)
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250