In Fairness...

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

In Fairness...

Post by Spinalguy »

It has been brought to my attention that not EVERYONE that visits this site as a guest or RMDRA member spends daily time looking over every topic. i know, i know, i was as shocked as you are. i thought everyone scoured this forum hourly :lol:

Some riders only visit once a week or less. They also may not open every thread title. So, it appears that the title to a camping weekend may have never aroused and been browsed by some fine upstanding riders in our community. Therefore they were completely unaware of our efforts to get folks out to help last weekend.

It was suggested that as we have an email list for members, we could send out mass emails when we need help in future with trail building and maintainence.

For the rest of the riding community, we can just hope they read the thread asking for volunteers and help us out.

You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

FlamesFan
Writer
Writer

Re: In Fairness...

Post by FlamesFan »

Mail lists work great. I purchase various things from states but rarely visit the sites. The mailing lists let me know when something is going on sale. Kinda like this idea. If an email was registered at the time a member registers for a membership reguardless if they use the forum or even have an account then there's the list. I just can't remember if that was part of the sign up.

Id also like to mention that I have a group of friends who are members of the club but never use the forum. A couple of them do not even have accounts their said. An email list would be a perfect way to reach guys like that.

Good idea Tom.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I think a mass email is an excellent idea Tom.The trail day turnouts are very poor for the amount of riders using the area, but most don't know about it.I've often talked to many riders that say they would like to come out & help but don't realize these trail days are taking place.When we lost 90% of the singletrack in McLean from the big blowdown of Nov. 2006, I organized a trail clean up in spring of 2007, everyone was spreading the word & we had 65 riders out that day.This should be the normal turnout & not just the same small hardcore group that must be getting burnt out to some degree. :canada:

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Spinalguy wrote:It has been brought to my attention that not EVERYONE that visits this site as a guest or RMDRA member spends daily time looking over every topic. i know, i know, i was as shocked as you are. i thought everyone scoured this forum hourly :lol:

Some riders only visit once a week or less. They also may not open every thread title. So, it appears that the title to a camping weekend may have never aroused and been browsed by some fine upstanding riders in our community. Therefore they were completely unaware of our efforts to get folks out to help last weekend.

It was suggested that as we have an email list for members, we could send out mass emails when we need help in future with trail building and maintainence.

For the rest of the riding community, we can just hope they read the thread asking for volunteers and help us out.

What :confused: ...Tom I am as shocked as you are. Not everyone spends countless hours on the forum looking for new info (BTW Dirtyboy I'm really liking the "unread posts" link)

This is a most Excellent point. We'll need to keep this in mind for the next planned trail day :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

I would agree, this is an excellent idea. I had heard rumors about that trail day and was wondering way or trail days have had such poor turn outs. If we had numbers like that we could way more accomplished. This would relieve some of stress from the guys who are out all the time. The more we could accomplish on any given trail day, more time we could have to ride. I'm going to be collecting emails of people I talk to out on the trail and sending out our trail day dates. Great idea Tom. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

rogue wrote:I would agree, this is an excellent idea. I had heard rumors about that trail day and was wondering way or trail days have had such poor turn outs. If we had numbers like that we could way more accomplished. This would relieve some of stress from the guys who are out all the time. The more we could accomplish on any given trail day, more time we could have to ride. I'm going to be collecting emails of people I talk to out on the trail and sending out our trail day dates. Great idea Tom. :thumbsup:

The Spring of 2007 Trail Clearing Trailguy referred to above involved a lot of advance communication, signing people up weeks (and months) in advance to get them to committ, and several rounds of phone calls to well over 100 people (to inform them, and then remind them several times). I believe we had over 40 people the second day (Sunday) as well. Getting people to turn out just takes coordination and one-on-one "elbow grease". But, getting a lot of people to turn out probably requires all this advance contact and phoning.

A mass email is a good place to start though, and I'm sure would have improved results over using the forum alone.

D. :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Correct Crazy, 65 the 1st day & 40 the 2nd day. :thumbsup:

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Ive made an ongoing event where people can signup and it will act as a mailing list & general information page for whatever info Cal & Trailguy can get out to everyone. Main Organizers of trail maintainance will be given admin access to these events when possible so they can email everyone & get headcounts

http://bit.ly/Alberta-Trail-Clearing

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

KanadianIceMan wrote:Ive made an ongoing event where people can signup and it will act as a mailing list & general information page for whatever info Cal & Trailguy can get out to everyone. Main Organizers of trail maintainance will be given admin access to these events when possible so they can email everyone & get headcounts

http://bit.ly/Alberta-Trail-Clearing

Mitch, great initiative.
If we had the SGC and RMDRA email addys as well as any independent that can be directed that way, is a good action plan.
Thanks.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

we do have up to date email lists for the RMDRA (you all got the newsletter, right :thumbsup: )

All we would need is a brief email from the project coordinator to our membership directop (Absurveyor) and we could easily reach all of your inboxes.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Ok I will send you something for future events Dodi. Now where going places. :thumbsup: We are getting close to the end of the FT trail AKA ,( Pipe Dream ). Still lots of work but I'm already thinking of the next One.
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

rogue wrote:Ok I will send you something for future events Dodi. Now where going places. :thumbsup: We are getting close to the end of the FT trail AKA ,( Pipe Dream ). Still lots of work but I'm already thinking of the next One.
YEAH.... :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

Which is a good point. It's time rogue started to focus on the next trail. For every hour working on the ground there's probably 2 hours behind the scenes that people don't see.

What we need now is a few Fallen Timber trail stewards to handle the odd's and ends of this trail going forward while we focus on the next one. That doesn't mean you do all the work on the trail. It just means we can focus on the design of the next trail knowing the Fallen Timber trail is in good hands. :applause:

If you think that's something you would be interested in, please let me or rogue know. :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250