Chest protectors

Skiing, Chit Chat. Just about any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Chest protectors

Post by Brass »

Years back when I was still active in off road riding we had one choice for protection, traditional chest protectors and elbow pads.
Today however there are these new compression type “suits” that are available.

Are these better, more comfortable, cooler to wear in hotter weather? In other words are they worth it or should I stick with the old tried and true?

Feedback from doc’s and those that have used both would be appreciated.

I know I need some form of protection, I hit stuff and fall down. Also age has this funny way of reducing the body’s ability to bounce.
The voices are back. Awesome!

Rider Eh!
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Chest protectors

Post by Rider Eh! »

I don't personally wear one, most everyone I ride with does. They say it's hotter, but offers more protection for your arms, but I don't run elbow pads either, just straight chest protector.
'18 300 XC
'02 XR650R

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

They're really hot. I only wear mine when it's 8-10 degrees out or less. Warmer than that I use a regular plastic protector.

The suit I have is a Thor Impact Rig SE, really nice, and offers great protection, and the kidney belt is a big plus as well. The chest protector I have is a Fox mid-line unit, has been great, but not as much protection as the Thor, but in the summer I am left with no choice, the Thor is way too hot.

-Rick
Rick Charles
#971 Junior
2007 WR450F

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

I wear the Thor Impact Rig SE under armor. I'm super happy with it. I don't find it too hot. I wear some of that black technical under shirt (moisture wicking/management type), the Thor Rig and a non-cotton (Thor Core) jersey. I'm never cold for sure. It could be that I'm used to it and don't know the difference. I'm pretty slow and not too aggressive so when I crash it hasn't been a big deal. But, I don't think speed is a factor everytime a person crashes. It gives me some comfort having that level of protection. I really like the integrated kidney belt and the back protector.

Bark

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Post by KanadianIceMan »

I wear normal fox chest protector with heavy padded shoulder foam. My camel back UNDER my chest protector (snug fit & soft spine board). Dont forget the Kidney Belt!

And recently these reebok lacross arm guards - http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/lacrosse- ... guard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dual hinge for elbow.$60 at any sportcheck or sporting store.

They are pretty damn wicked, do not give armpump (i wear larges and am skinny), full protection for WHOLE forearm & WHOLE bicep. Have yet to rotate down. Keep your arms warm but not overly hot. Reducing crampage. Added bonus, Plastic gaurd totates around each side of elbow.

Normal hits on trees for me are on Shoulders & Elbows. I am An intermediate rider. Love XC, Enduro, Trials.
Helmet Cameras! http://hcc.tv/secondgear
CONTACT mitch@secondgearclub.com
SGC PHOTOS Second Gear Club Photo Galleries
05' YZ250 - Pumpkin Eater