New Rider in Calgary

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
sledhead5000

New Rider in Calgary

Post by sledhead5000 »

Hello,

I'm a long time snowmobiler who just bought my first dirt bike and am looking for a place to learn to ride it. I see that McLean creek is closed until May 1st, but is there any other place that I can ride near Calgary that's open sooner? (Primarily want to get shifting and the basics down before tackling single track)

Thanks,

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Rider in Calgary

Post by giantjoe »

Welcome! Your best bet right now is to just hold on. Unless you want to head out to Lake Kookanusa. Wildrose MX park may be opening in the next couple weeks, but it's not looking great right now. See you on the trails!
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

sledhead5000

Post by sledhead5000 »

Not looking for a muddy trail, just an old unused forestry road to get the clutch & shifting down.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

You could probably find something that would work in the Waiparous area, but I haven't been out there lately and have no idea on how much snow is out there.

sledhead5000

Post by sledhead5000 »

They don't want us on even the main trail in McLean Creek till May eh?

I can understand the single track and mud routes, but the main trail is pretty much a road.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

OHVs are not allowed on the main road at McLean. I know it sounds weird but that is the rule out there. 4x4 trails (roads) are allowed but not until May 1