Old guy getting back into it

If you are new to the forum, post here and introduce yourself. We'd love to hear from you.
okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Old guy getting back into it

Post by okotok »

Hi guys and gals.

I got out of riding quite a few years ago when I moved to the Calgary area as I just couldn't seem to find any riding partners and they were cracking down on riding motocross bikes without lights etc. running on crown land. I've been riding since the seventies (yeah, I'm old) and used to race motocross locally way back when with 125s, 250s and a CanAm 370 in the open class. I also had a few four strokes including a couple of XR500s. Nice bikes, but once the two stroke thing bit me, I'd have a hard time going to anything else.

My last bike was a CR500 which I sold some years ago. Great reliable bike and fantastic for those long difficult climbs in places like Cadomin and areas West of Sundre.

Anyway, I was out with a buddy last year at MacLean and he let me use his WR450. Nice bike, smooth power and easy to ride, but most assuredly not a CR500. Anyway, definitely have the bug again. I've ordered a new Service Honda 500AF with a lighting kit and will be getting back at it again this year. Ready to throw a little dirt around again.

Looking forward to a guided ride or two to learn the trail systems. Looking for some mean hill climbs and some fast riding (OK, not as fast as the old days) as well as some good single track. Great site you've got going here!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Old guy getting back into it

Post by steve-o »

service Honda - nice! not messing around are you! :thumbsup:

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

Go big or go home. Ha!

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

Ya! Service Honda CR500, 628 Terraflex on the back right :thumbsup:

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

Ha! No, IRC M5B for now. The way these things can go through tires, I'll be able to do a number of different tire reviews over a short period of time. :smirk:

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I really liked the M5B, I'm going with it again this year. Your bike will chew through it in no time I'm sure though. 500 :nworthy:
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Service Honda CR500, holy-toledo. :crazy:
Bikeless....

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

Yeah Ernie. Wish it had a little more snap, but I'll try and get by :)

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

trailguy wrote:Ya! Service Honda CR500, 628 Terraflex on the back right :thumbsup:
That's hilarious. My buddy has two brand new Terraflex tires that he ordered out of the USA for his KX 500. They have,to be seen to be believed :crazy:

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

I'd be interested to get his opinions on the Tera Flex. I did a little research and it's all over the map. Some guys claim that they use a sawzall to get them off once they need changing :eek: Others claim that since Interco took them over that the quality has dropped. Having said that, there seem to be supporters and detractors for almost any tire out there.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

I have tire problems too and I only have a yz300. What gen of engine does the service 500 use? I would like to swap bikes with you one of these times :D

okotok
Contributor
Contributor

Post by okotok »

They build the engines from new parts from Honda so would range from 2001(last year sold in North America) and down as the engines were essentially the same for a few years. The 2001 was rated at 64.6 HP as per http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda_CR_500_R_2001.aspx

Mine's being breathed on a little with Service Honda stator/ignition, PC pipe, porting and a rad valve so should be smooth controllable power (as far as big bore 2 strokes go). If we get out on the same ride, you can definitely take it for a rip, after I see your chops though :smirk: On one of my 500s, I let a friend of mine with considerable experience (and too much aggression) take it for a ride at a gravel pit, it came over and spit him off in 3rd or 4th gear. He claims his tailbone is still bothering him years later from skidding along sideways on his butt. Of course he had to buy a new rear fender to add insult to injury. Pretty easy to ride as long as you respect the throttle though.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

okotok wrote:I'd be interested to get his opinions on the Tera Flex. I did a little research and it's all over the map. Some guys claim that they use a sawzall to get them off once they need changing :eek: Others claim that since Interco took them over that the quality has dropped. Having said that, there seem to be supporters and detractors for almost any tire out there.
I don't think he's ran them yet. I'll let you know.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Last time I threw my leg over a cr500 was back in 86 and I was 14 :crazy: That was a monster of a bike to say the least but it something I can always brag about :D I look forward to it!

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

Jeez Louise, That makes me feel so old. I was racing those things when you were still dragging your favourite Blankie around. :lol:
Yup. Got a new one.